Pugwash announces breakup

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bRETT, Mar 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member Thread Starter

This just appeared on the band's official Facebook page (Nice to Be Nice). They have an active Kickstarter for a new Puhwash album, so I assume that will be Thomas Walsh's solo album now.

CLOSING DOWN: Hi all, I won't go in to detail but I have been asked to close NTBN down. Pugwash has a band have split up. Tosh, Shaun and Joey called it a day a few weeks ago. I wish Thomas all the best with his new album BUT mostly want to thank everyone for their support over the years. I've met many people and made many friends. Take care all. I wish you all well. Mx [​IMG]:( . PS - to close it down i have to delete each person individually. cheers. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

alexpop likes this.
  2. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

:confused:
    I understood the next Pugwash album was together with Jason Falkner and Tosh, Shaun and Joey's departure was temporary? And maybe Neil Hannon will be involved too?

3. Yovra

Fantastic band, though!

4. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Geez, now the bands that Jason Falkner "produces" are breaking up, before they even release the album, talk about bad karma!

5. Thomas Pugwash

Thomas Pugwash Forum Resident

No one/thing/band has broken up anywhere. Life just splits into different orange segments again.

6. Thomas Pugwash

Album done in 3 weeks. Jason Falkner is a bona fide genius.

7. zipzorp

zipzorp Senior Member

Bombed? Hardly. A catalog of great records with many more to come. Get back to us when you've worked with Jeff Lynne and Ray Davies.

somnar, Andy Smith, rednoise and 4 others like this.
  8. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Well heck, gosh darn it all to tarnation. :( I have a couple of their albums and I think they're great. I'm sure glad I got to see them play live (TT The Bear's, Cambridge, Mass.) a couple of years ago. I was hoping to have another opportunity, maybe in a nicer venue. They were a good band.

9. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Will the new lp be out on vinyls?

Thomas Pugwash likes this.
  10. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

He's the person who this thread - the title of which is very misleading - is about. Thomas Pugwash is Thomas Walsh, who for all intents is the band Pugwash - although over the years, others have played in that band, as a part of it. Pugwash exsisted and released albums long before the musicians who were a part of the "band" which made the last two albums by them did. Just because three of those musicians aren't playing on the new album, does not mean that Pugwash is no more.

You're also missing out on his sense of humor, the tone of which admittedly gets completely lost in the medium of print.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    phillyal1, somnar and Thomas Pugwash like this.
  11. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

RIP Pugwash
    Best wishes to Thomas

Chris C likes this.
  12. Yovra

And I'm really interested in that new album! :)

13. peteham

peteham Senior Member

What a bizarre thread. I've always enjoyed Pugwash and Thomas' work. I suspect I will get to hear more.

14. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Thomas, if you can talk Jason into getting "Jellyfish" back together again, then I will call YOU a bona fide genius!

15. Gordon Crisp

Gordon Crisp Forum Resident

Best thread I've read here in weeks!

16. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Sad to hear Pugwash are calling time. Time to go listen to Giddy again, with a bit of Duckworth Lewis after than methinks. It was great seeing and hearing Tosh on guitar recently with The Divine Comedy - hopefully he's sticking around for the 'victory lap' UK tour later this year?

17. Thomas Pugwash

Yes..

18. Thomas Pugwash

Hello Mike.

melstapler likes this.
  19. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Bummer. A great band...best of luck to all! And new music soon we hope!

20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Great you got Jason Falkner on board for your new album.. :edthumbs:

kouzie likes this.
  21. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

I've followed Thomas on Facebook for years and have met the man on their last US tour. Bitter is about the last word I'd use to describe him. He's actually extremely decent and charming. Looking forward to hearing the new album!

coffeetime, Yovra, Rocketdog and 2 others like this.
  22. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Now that would be a great supergroup !

kouzie and Thomas Pugwash like this.
  23. Thomas Pugwash

"We're not bitter we're just better"

coffeetime and kouzie like this.
  24. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

But Neil Hannon was left off that esteemed list. Important because he was my gateway into the world of Pugwash (via Duckworth Lewis Method). While I since only bought a couple Pugwash releases (on glorious vinyl), the band is on my list to chip away at to build their catalogue. Glad there is a new album coming up. Sorry to hear of the demise of the band as it exists now. Comforted in knowing there is most certainly more music to come regardless from Mr. Pugwash.

And for what it's worth, I've never had any issue with the name of the band. It's the guys name for gosh sakes!

PJayBe, coffeetime and Thomas Pugwash like this.
  25. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

A friend of mine in Dublin (just a singer in a rock 'n' roll band) sent me some years ago Pugwash's cover of The Move's 'Chinatown'. It was mightily impressive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.