Pugwash - new U.S. compilation - first U.S. tour (classic pop fans take note)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mike Dow, Sep 24, 2014.

1. drowningdeep

drowningdeep Dude

They're not coming down my way, so somebody pick me up cd's of Almanac and Almond Tea, please.

2. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music Thread Starter

They did an impromptu version of a song by The Jam (it might have been "Precious"...can't quite recall the title). "Substitute" was played when a member of the audience mentioned that Oct. 9th was also John Entwistle's birthday. Following that, another person suggested that it was also Paul Weller's birthday hoping to hear one of his songs. Tosh Flood responded "Mr. Weller's birthday is May 25th" which prompted Thomas's comment "You can't pull one over on Tosh Flood." Still, they responded with a song by The Jam (possibly "Beat Surrender" - can't remember for sure).

Lots of inspired comic moments and brief musical interludes (including a tribute to Alan and the merch table) mixed with goosebump-inducing versions of their own material. I was wearing a "Jollity" T-shirt which prompted Thomas to further abandon an already forgotten setlist by busting out "This Could Be Good" for the first time in 8 years and dedicating it to me. I was really blown by that. An amazing night!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
    kouzie, Rocketdog and jricc like this.
  3. Mike Dow

Wish I could have stayed for Friday's in-store at Bull Moose. Looking forward to hearing about some of the highlights and finding out which songs were played.

Rocketdog likes this.
  4. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Thomas told us about the limited edition Almond Tea here on the forums this spring. I bought one and love it. Be aware it is a cd-r, though, if that matters to you.

5. jricc

jricc Senior Member

I have Jollity and Earworm, I believe 6 tracks from those two are on the new comp, good stuff!

Hawkman and Mike Dow like this.
  6. May.be someone can speak to Amoeba in San Francisco about sponsoring a show. Its an hour plane ride and the weather IS nicer than Maine (he its been I. The 80s in the Bay Area)

Rando likes this.
  7. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Actually, w've been having unseasonable warm weather here the past week. Upper 70's to low 80's all week.

8. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Just missed The Jam song, which I can't for the life of me remember what it was, maybe "Going Underground"? All those tunes were amazing great for being off the cuff renditions, too. We also got a joking minute of Duran Duran's "Save A Prayer" at the beginning of the evening, as Thomas was joking to the soundman about saving the reverb for Simon Le Bon.

It was a pleasure to see and meet the boys in the flesh. (You, too, Mike!) Incredible evening all around! Was quite happy to get Olympus Sound on vinyl.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  9. Rats. Well I will have to figure out some other way to entice him! ;)

10. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

It's not listed on their tour dates, but I know they are going to be doing an instore taping for the Live From High Fidelity Podcast, at High Fidelity in Los Angles. Not sure of the exact date, but they usually tape them on Sunday's. I imagine it will be the same day, or the one before or after, of their appearance in LA.

11. Mike Dow

It was great to meet you, Rocket Dog. I'm very glad that you were able to be there. What an amazing night! Wish I could make it to the show in Northampton, MA tonight.

12. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Me, too, Mike!

And Shaun McGee informed me that The Jam tune which was played was "It's Too Bad". I had to ask him, just for clarification.

Mike Dow likes this.
  13. Mike Dow

Great - thanks for that!

14. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Listening to the Pugwash comp, it reminds a lot of the band Soundtrack of Our Lives... in a good way. Great song-craft with tasty playing and production.

Mike Dow likes this.
  15. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

I sure hope so!

16. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

Incredible clip from Wednesday's show.

17. Mike Dow

The clip of "A Rose in a Garden of Weeds" with The Section Quartet was amazing too. They've racked up some shows for the record books this month.

18. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Fantastic!

19. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Here's a video I got of them doing XTC's "Making Plans For Nigel", now that I've finally had a chance to upload it to YouTube. This should also link you to vids I got of them doing The Who's "Substitute" and The Move's "I Can Hear The Grass Grow", as well.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
    Dublintown and Mike Dow like this.
  20. Mike Dow

I'd love to relive The Move and The Who songs if you get a chance, Rocketdog. I don't think this one has been shared yet. The camera is a bit shakey but here's a stellar version of (Just Like) Starting Over performed on 10/9/14 in Portland. For Johnny's birthday!

Rocketdog likes this.
  21. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Here you go then!

22. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

23. Mike Dow

:agree: So great. Thank you for posting those videos!

Rocketdog likes this.
  24. Mr. Bob Dobalena

Mr. Bob Dobalena Forum Resident

Dynamite show that night. The Move cover really knocked it out of the park-- and The Rutles too?? Outrageous! Thanks for capturing those moments Rocketdog!

Mike Dow and Rocketdog like this.
  25. Mike Dow

So good.

Rocketdog likes this.