Pulp 2016 vinyl reissues This is Hardcore, We Love Life

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mister President, Apr 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Strange that Universal could do it in 2002:( But for now I guess it's already a huge step that they didn't use GZ for these reissues;)

2. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

this 4 reissues are limited by HMV? or Island release more later in USA?
    Maybe I pick "Hardcore" to compare with the original.

3. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

Wider release is coming in a few weeks.

4. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

As these are still not listed on Amazon I think it will be more like months rather than weeks?

Anyway, been after Hardcore on vinyl for years so I ordered it from the HMV website for £19 which is a bargain for a double.

5. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

I think HMV have them exclusively for a couple of months then they will be more widely available.

6. Billy Bird

Billy Bird Forum Resident

Have tried two copies of 'We Love Life'. Sonically very good, but both look a little scuffed and seem to have a bit of noise here and there, including pops towards the end of side A. Slightly unforgiving card inner. Anyone got a totally quiet one?
    Torn about whether to try again!

7. andres lira

andres lira Forum Resident

Any more comments about this ones?

8. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

Just on the last track of my 'We Love Life' now. Not 100% click free but very close.

9. andres lira

Is it a single record or a double? Its kind of a long record to be a single. Gatefold?

10. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

Single LP, standard sleeve with printed inner.

andres lira likes this.
  11. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

Universal will release these albums on 16.09 in Europe according to my record dealer.

andres lira likes this.
  12. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Just listening to "This is Hardcore" now, almost click free but strangely i thought i heard some jumps...
    Will give it another spin and listen more carefully.

All in all the sound is really good, unfortunately the vinyl looks quite dirty with a few light scratches on the surface ... This is a bit disappointing !

13. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

new Hardcore is NOT gatefold? and NO two inner sleeves?

14. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Is *is* gatefold. Two inner sleeves with photos/airbrushed portraits from the CD booklet on one side (Candida & Nick on sleeve for LP 1, Steve & Mark on sleeve for LP2), lyrics on the other side (pink type on black background). Jarvis portrait in the gatefold. Whole thing is more matt than gloss in its finish.

The only major miss for me is putting that remix of This Is Hardcore on Side D instead of Ladies Man, but I guess they want to stay faithful to the original.

One thing I'd never noticed until looking at the LP-sized artwork is that the cover girl has what could be interpreted as blood in her nostril- it's far too pink in shade to just be shadow. That is very creepy.

15. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Foking 'ell, the Island original has this too. And I also never noticed it. Even though I had this record for ages. Creepy indeed..

16. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

thanks,

I denote some pics on the CD are not present on the Vinyl.

Some pics of my 1st press:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

andres lira likes this.
  17. Harty_88

Harty_88 Forum Resident

Picked up Different Class yesterday. On opening I noticed both sides were badly scuffed all over. I returned it this morning and had another opened in store. More scuffs, but not as bad.

In the end decided to just get a refund. Shame, I'd really like a copy of this and This is Hardcore. Maybe I'll wait a bit and when it goes on general release see if any issues have been sorted and in the meantime keep an eye out for reviews on the sound quality(what I heard of Different Class sounded promising!)

Somerset Scholar likes this.
  18. andres lira

How does the new Different Class compares to the MoV reissue?

19. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

This Is Hardcore is one of the best 'reproductions' of the original packaging I have ever seen. It really looks and feels stunning, almost like they had all the artwork from the original and went to the same printers. I didn't really expect them to go to that much trouble, as it no doubt is expensive.

Sounds great as well, one of those reissues that really makes the original tumble in value, as there is no need to seek one out (unless you are one of those OCD freaks who has to have, for some reason, the 'first' edition).

Congrats all round to the team behind this. One of my grails crossed off the list.

Vincentz and patient_ot like this.
  20. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

I'll be curious to hear direct comparisons of this with the Plain release of Hardcore. I sold the Plain a while ago because it sounded no better than the CD, but I'd love to have a good-sounding vinyl version...

21. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i was actually (at least!) impressed with the packaging of the Plain release's artwork, but now you've got me intrigued!

22. badbrainmagic

badbrainmagic New Member

Hi All, any idea if this will be available anywhere else? I've seen you guys wrote that it should be available to a wider public. Unfortunately I didn't get my hands on one as they didn't sell it here in Ireland's HMVs. Just wondering if anyone has any updates? I keep searching online for dates/places but can't find any. There's one available on discogs but it's 3 times the price so not sure if I should wait or just get it... Thanks

23. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've seen them in HMV in London and Fopp (part of HMV). They look TERRIBLE, the worst reproduction I've ever seen on flimsy cardboard, the images look like low res versions, awful. I'm such a big fan but I just couldn't do it and had no faith in the sound quality. They actually look like bootlegs to me. Save your money. The only thing I have is the deluxe edition of His & Hers on vinyl which was obviuously done by someone else a few years ago and looks and sounds great, also got this in Fopp, 2012 I think.

There's an original copy of This is Hardcore in the record shop near my work for £100. Not getting that either, that's just stupid.

24. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

I bought all four re-issues from HMV and was happy with them. Sound quality is decent.

@badbrainmagic - does the HMV website ship to Ireland? There is meant to be a wider release, HMV just had an exclusive window. Whether other retailers just aren't taking them in protest I don't know.

25. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

Is there still an HMV UK website?? Can anyone send it along? Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.