Punchdrunk Love

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Tyler, Jun 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Yeah, the music was strange. I had on my 2 subs and the continous low bass notes from the underlining theme was pretty pronounced. Sounds like a timpani.

Also the song "He Needs Me" is sung by Shelly Duval of all people. Is that from "Popeye"?
    My wife even commented that it was a strange song.

She loved the part were Sandler is trying to call Lena on the pay phone in Hawaii and gets a guy's voice. "Hello!!" She almost fell to the floor!

Sandler and Watson were very good and it is a nice tale but in the end didn't satisfy me like "Boogie Nights" or "Magnolia"does.

Maybe I have to see again. I'll watch the Special Features tommw.

2. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

I disagree. Apparently you've never seen a 60" or larger DLP HDTV (rear or front projection) up-scaled to 1080p playing back a D-VHS movie. There's no apparent difference in quality between the D-VHS and the master reel. You're right, size isn't all that matters. :D

3. GoldenBoy

Well, I guess it is proof that we are all individuals, for I found Punch-Drunk Love to be more enjoyable than Magnolia which I felt dragged too much, was at times hard to follow and don't get me started on those frogs! Don't get me wrong, I like Magnolia, I just prefer this movie.

I like the music in P-DL, I think it fits the overall tone of the film, even 'He Needs Me'. The biggest flaw in this movie, IMO, is you never really understand exactly why Emily Watson's character would be attracted to and seemingly fall in love with a bloke like Sandler's character. Anderson doesn't go deep enough there to make their whole relationship believable, IMHO. Outside of that, I think it's a very good film.

4. GoldenBoy

And I think this SuperBit version of Punch-Drunk Love has all of those qualities that you mentioned. I think if you can find them, you should try to get a hold of some SuperBit titles that may interest you. They're usually worth it.

5. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Just bought this yesterday and watched it for the first time last night. Pretty odd movie. Much more sparse than his previous efforts, very stripped down. A bit of a disappointment to me after Magnolia (one of my top 2 or 3 favorite movies of all time, including the frogs). After seeing Magnolia for the first time, I went back to watch Boogie Nights again. I enjoyed it a lot more with a feel for his directing style going in. Hard Eight is good also, especially for his first film (as far as I know), but was pretty simple, unlike Boogie Nights and Magnolia. Punch Drunk Love was not what I was expecting, and it was definitely not Magnolia, but I was still able to appreciate the dialog (the phone sex operator's answering machine greeting was great) and the amazing acting by Adam Sandler. Luis was great too, with all those arched eyebrows. And Phillip Seymour Hoffman was great in such a limited role. He is so diverse, his character kind of reminded me of the role he played in The Talented Mr. Ripley. So far away from his character in Boogie Nights. Overall, a worthwhile and creative movie, but I guess I have set the bar so high for PTA after Magnolia, that I was bound to be let down at least a little.

6. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

That's the way I feel. A little bit let down after the fantastic "Boogie Nights" and "Magnolia".

Both those movies have an unbelievable set piece.

"Boogie Nights" with its 'Sister Christian' coke dealer scene that is one of the most riveting sequences ever.

And "Magnolia" with its set piece overviewing the characters as they sing along to Aimee Mann's great song 'Wise Up'.

If you could only show one scene to someone who had never seen a PT Anderson movie, those 2 scenes would be the ones I'd choose.

Punch Drunk Love really doesn't have that one set piece that blew me away. It does have shock value like in the begiining when suddenly a car flips and crashes near Sandler....that roared on my SVS sub....but it isn't really a set piece.

7. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member Thread Starter

Yeah "He Needs Me" is from the movie Popeye, with Shelly Duvall singing.

8. IanL

IanL Senior Member

One moment that was presented in a very creative way was when the brothers crashed into his car. The car spun in slow motion while all you heard was their heavy breathing. Then he opens a can of whoop-ass on them. Good scene.

9. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member Thread Starter

Boogie Nights is fast becoming one of my all time favorite movies. The coke dealer scene, Buck trying to sell stereos, Dirk and Reed in the recording studio recording "You got the touch" and "Feel the heat". This movie has everything, great story, great acting, drama, comedy.

Magnolia is also excellent. I think it gets better with repeated viewing. Aimee Mann's songs are fantastic, that's one of my favorite soundtracks. "Save Me" is a brilliant song.

I highly reccomend getting the "Hard Eight" DVD. It's PTA's first movie, and it's a good one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.