Q about Taps on Tube Amps (Steve, you'd know this!)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gary, Aug 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

As you can see by my profile, I have a McIntosh MC240 tube amplifier (about 40 watts / side). I am running my speakers off the 8 ohm taps as they are rated for 8 ohms.

Others on this board have experimented - and had success - using the 16 ohm taps, etc. even though they have (I presume) 8 ohm speakers.

Would experimenting with different ohm taps damage my speakers or my amps? Vintage equipment is hard to replace.

Does it make a difference if one is running vintage equipment? For example, would a modern tube amp be tougher than an vintage amp so you'd have less fear about experimenting? My guess would be "yes"....

Thanks!

(PS This is an offshoot from Tube Guilt......!!) :sigh:

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Gary, damage? Naa, but use the 8 tap. That's what Mac's love the best!

3. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Gary, I occasionally run Dynaco MK IV's and tried the 4, 8 and 16 ohm taps, and the 8 ohm sounded best with my Dynaudio speakers; you'd probably only use the 16 ohm taps for some vintage horn speakers that were designed to be driven at that impedance. You're most likely gonna find speakers designed to run around 8 ohms, then 4 ohms, with 16 ohms a waaaay distant third...

4. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Gary

Try for yourself and see. I don't doubt that Steve is right but there is nothing like hearing for yourself.

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

Thanks, Steve, Mike and Scott! Just checking to make sure I don't damage anything.....

Experiment / Tweak #14 coming up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.