Q for Steve - master vs. lp/cd/sacd

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by indy mike, Aug 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest Thread Starter

While driving towards work today (school is back in session, commuter Mike hits the road again) and pondered this question for Steve: You have the Ampex rolling, the tape is threaded up, decisions have been made on how to twiddle the sonic gizmos that are top secret, the tape rolls and masters are made for lp's, cd's, and now SACD's (not all at once, I have been paying attention!); the software gets cut and off to market it goes - my question is, which medium sounds most like the master tape (tonewise)? I don't wanna get into which "sounds better" (reopening the lp vs. cd can o' worms, so folks, don't start that one up puhleeze) - I wanna know which one sounds most like the tape you (Steve) started with... :confused:

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

What do YOU think, Mono Mike?

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Hey now...answering questions with questions is my job...:angel:

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I think it depends on your equipment! If you've a $4,000.00 CDP and a $1,200.00 TT, I'll bet the CDP sounds better. If you have a $4,000 TT.... oh wait - I'm not Mono Mike.

Sorry. :o

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Now why would answering questions with more questions be your job, Lukpac?

;)

6. indy mike

Well, I'm screwed as far as trying a comparison myself - my T-table is not what I'd wanna use in a shoot 'em out match, and getting the software all in one spot is another problemo - CCR would be my best shot at actually doing it myself sometime, and the thought of buying vinyl and SACD's is icky. I'm also biased - I probably have 4 or 5 hundred lp's, and while I religiously scrubbed them with a Discwasher and kept the stylus clean and changed, pops and clicks drove me insane - I always wanted a Burwen tick and pop eliminator - am I showing my age???; digital harshness has me gritting my teeth these days instead of clicks/pops - needle drops on cd's really set me off!!! :eek: The wild card here is SACD, and I've got my fingers crossed that those CCR discs are what will be the truest tonal representation of the master tape. Have I honked off both vinyl and cd camps yet???

7. indy mike

Hey, since I'm a teacher I should be answering questions with questions!

And, good point Gary - I'd say dollar wise my Sony DVD/SACD/CD player is in the ballpark with my old Denon/Grado combination; however, the stylus probably needs replacement, and definitely the patch cords - yikes, why do I ax questions like this???? :confused:

8. wes

wes Senior Member

Mono Mike,..........I do recall Steve saying that he can match them all up tonally......The only thing that can't match up......Is the resolution......The fine details in the music.......Like the decay of a cymbol crash will probably have a better ring to it than the cd counterpart.....

-Wes

9. wes

wes Senior Member

woops sorry, I meant Indy Mike.......

10. indy mike

Hi - I think Mono Mike slips out from Steve when I need to go to the woodshed for axing irritating questions that are pretty much impossible to answer without annoying a good chunk of our posting pals! :D I almost used Mono Mike for a name (I'm a stereo lovin' pest, so it's ranks in the sorta ironic department).

Let me rephrase the question a bit - Steve, Wes and Mono/Indy Mike are at Steve's pad ready for a listening session - Steve's finally remastering the Nuggets boxed set from Why-No-Stereo-Rhino Records; we have all the formats ready to review on components of equally high caliber. We're putting aside personal preferences and have vowed to think only about the master tape we can refer to and want to see which format comes closest to the master tape sonically/tonally (NOT which one sounds "best") - now what happens, boys and girls??? And NO axing questions to prod me further into deeper philosphical realms - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! :)

11. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Well, this is what will happen.

Steve, Wes and Mono/Indy Mike will agree on the one format that is the best representation of the master tape. Although other formats have their points, and the chosen / winning format has it's disadvantages, all three have agreed on this one format.

However this opinion is only good for THESE master tapes, as they stand. They are standing (of course) AFTER they have been brought back to life. When you get into *that* level of detail, there are no absolutes. It would be an absolute if there were mastering engineer standards that were adhered to since 1926. But such standards do not exist.

After this conclusion, all three agreed that this determination shall be kept secret. Why?

1) This would be a negative impact on Steve's career (Oh, he only believes that 8 track tapes are the best representation of the master tape! Lets not hire him to do SACD, LP, redbook.... etc., etc.)

2) Vinyl fans, SACD fans, redbook fans, DVD-A fans, etc. would all be upset. And maybe - just maybe - they'd think that the remastering job that was done on these "unapproved" formats was less than perfect. This is not like Steve - of course!!! - and totally false. But you can't change perceptions....

Besides, music, the finished product, are like Steve's children. Q: Which child do you like best, Steve? A: I love 'em all.

My mother asked my grandmother once which child was her favorite. Grandma replied by counting on her fingers.... "This finger hurts, and this finger hurts, and this finger hurts.... ".

Just my perception of.... Steve's family! :)

12. wes

wes Senior Member

I couldn't have put it better myself, well said Gary, but like I say, Steve can get cd/Lp/SACD to match up tonally....Just not resolution....An SACD/LP will be higher rez.....The Cymbols will have more of a ring to em, and you can hear more of the room.....

-Wes

13. krabapple

krabapple New Member

Lots of assumptions here (not just this post, the whole thread), lots of vague use of words like 'resolution'. In scientific terms, digital formats tend to have higher resolution than LPs.

But the initial question was which one sounds most like the master tape (to Steve Hoffman)?

If the queston was asked of me instead of SH, first, I'd want to A/B each one blind and level-matched, to the master tape, see if I can really tell a difference. If I couldn't for any pair, that one would of course sound 'most like' the master tape...to me.

If none of them were identical to the master under controlled listening conditions, it's a matter of preference. Different people might find that different formats sound 'most like' the master tape. I think that to avoid bias, it would be important for the listener not to know whether the version he was hearing was analog, SACD, or CD. Because of course some of us 'know ' that SACD 'should' sound better than CD, and LP 'should' sound better than both.

14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I hope that was saracasm...:D

15. Johnny C.

Johnny C. Ringo's Biggest Fan

Excellent points.

Imagine the Pepsi Challenge with uncovered cans of soda.

16. Grant

Exactly! Bias.

17. wes

wes Senior Member

Well, when I say more rez I mean to say that analog isn't just a flat 1's and 0's code. Music aint just rounded off numbers. It's more complex than that. Unlike cd, analog is a 1.182374875747262 and 0.1213343455653324 that captures a little extra rather than the codes all rounded up to a one or a zero.

-Wes

18. Grant

Wes, it is clear that you do not understand digital.

19. wes

wes Senior Member

Really? Give me a lesson..........:)

-Wes

20. wes

wes Senior Member

Isn't PCM digital just codes of 1' and 0's?

-Wes

21. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Wes,

Using your number example of analog representation, one's and zero's can give an exact replication of the "number example" you described.

Let use DSD and your numbers:

"182374875......"

Ok, that's a 1 for the "1"
    Add 7 more 1s to get to "8"
    Subtract 6 1s to get to "2"
    Add 1 to get to "3", and so on

Do this process at BILLIONS of times a second and you have DSD encoding.

Note other DSD experts out there: This may not be the best way to describe DSD, I know how it works, but this may not have been the best example to demontrate DSD encoding with. :)

PCM is also ones and zeros, but it samples a given analog wave form at anywhere from 44,100 times a second (and faster/slower) and assigns each of those samples or little slices of music a bit value from 0 to 16 (or more).

22. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Actually, Wes is correct, as far as he goes. Redbook digital is a sort of connect-the-dots simulation against analogs continuous waveform. This could be one of the reasons why some find digital irritating and non musical because it is constantly taking you in and out of the music, in theory. Some can tune this out, especially if they know nothing other than digital, they are perfectly content. A good mastering engineer who knows the limitations of each format will be able to compensate so that they both sound good.

Then we can sit back and enjoy the music instead of debating about it.

23. wes

wes Senior Member

Hey thanks Sam............Your explanation actually makes sense......

I'm not very knowledgeable w/ DSD.......It's a 1 bit system that just samples extremely fast right?

Redbook is 16 bit that samples much slower......From what I understand....

Grant? You can chime in too buddy......

-Wes

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Well, that's assuming that you're connecting the dots with straight lines, which isn't the case. The output of digital *is* a continuous waveform. It's just that what's between the "dots" might not exactly match up with what was there in the first place.

25. wes

wes Senior Member

Wow!........Well, I'm off for work. This thread'll probably be really interesting when I get back........Remember no rabbit punches.....

:p

-Wes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.