Q for Steve: The Challenges of Cutting 45's?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob Lovely, Mar 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam Thread Starter

Steve,

I know that you have been cutting a lot of 45's lately and it got me to thinking that while cutting standard 33 1/3 LP's is certainly an engineering challenge there must be "special" engineering challenges associated with cutting 45's.

Is this true? And, if so, what are those challenges?

I will turn down my Radio and just listen...

Many thanks,

Bob:)

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Bob,

Basically, it's hard to answer. I've been doing mastering for so long that too many things are second nature and hard to conjure up in words.

Different LPI (lines per inch) problems, volume, dynamics issues change, etc. I don't like to do too wide a spread so the 45 side ends too close to the label. I want as much outer groove area as possible. So, Kevin and I turn it down a bit from what it COULD be, to allow all types of "needles" to be able to track our records correctly. I don't believe in cutting records for the few who own $4000.00 needles. (I love using the word "needle") :)

Basically, it's a mechanical process, record cutting is, and Kevin's expertise makes it much easier for me to get what I want from the master tape translated into a groove.

Another type of mastering engineer might use some tricks to increase volume while cutting big, but that means patching in sneaky little hi-frequency limiters into the signal path, etc. We don't screw around, therefore a big dynamic snare drum "hit" can be reproduced in all its glory on the record without sacrificing overall dynamics. Hard to do without compromises, but that's why we make the big bucks. :)

3. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam Thread Starter

Steve,

Thanks! Actually, you shared a lot in your post. Certainly, I appreciate the values that you and Kevin aspire to when you press records.

I certainly hope that *this* does not become a "lost art".

From my heavy record buying days, I always remember the dynamics and clarity of 12" 45's. I always thought they sounded as well as a record can truly sound!

Bob:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.