QRP releasing Beatles Red, Blue, Love, and 1 on 180g vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Billy Budapest, Oct 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billy Budapest

Billy Budapest Forum "Member" Thread Starter

Ah, yes. Whatever it was, I knew it was a sound anomaly and that the engineer faded the track to avoid it while mixing.

Mlle. Aurora and gibtti like this.
  2. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Very interesting and that explains a lot - I'd always assumed it was because the vocals and tambourine were added at the same time and that they had to 'drop Paul back in' along with the tambourine but missed a tambourine hit in the process, but then thought that they probably didn't do that back then, but instead would start a fresh take as opposed to trying to fix a vocal half-way through.

3. russellsd

russellsd Forum Resident

Not sure when I heard this version before, as I've never had these albums except for the digital re-masters so I never noticed it before.

4. russellsd

russellsd Forum Resident

Agreed, and normally I wouldn't have.

5. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I just picked up the Blue set yesterday and am currently about half way through Side 4. Excellent, quiet, flat, centered pressing. I wish they had used proper anti-static inner sleeves for a product costing $35 but other than a couple clicks here and there it plays back dead quietly and sounds fantastic. This is certainly the best I've heard the stereo mixes, although all I have to compare it to are the CDs of this set I had growing up and an old beat up US vinyl copy of this.

This makes me wish they had done all-analogue remasters of the stereo mixes, especially for White Album-Let It Be.

ShallowMemory likes this.
  6. Onder

Onder Senior Member

That squeaky sound is a side effect of punching in onto 4th track which contains vocals doubling, riff guitar and tambourine. Somebody messed up on the track so they had to rewind the tape back and punch in. Normally one would
    choose a pause between say vocal phrase to avoid the squeaky sound. In this case the track is very busy with permanently something going on. They punched in right after Paul's "tried to please her" yet there is the tambourine and guitar riff going on.

The same squeaky sound can be heard in Here There And Everywhere, albeit not as loud. If my memory serves well, it's right at beginning of the last verse: is to need her everywhere /squeak/ knowing that love is to share... Don't remember whether it's in the left or the right channel.

Ondra

lukpac, googlymoogly and slane like this.
  7. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

I received mine from Collectors Choice where i did get the 20% off. My only complaint (haven't listened yet) and it's small is there are small seam splits on the front where you would usually pull the vinyl from the sleeve but these have "fold over" covers and that's what split. They are on both parts of Red and 1 part of Blue but I guess that's very nitpicky…

Anyone else experience this?

8. gibtti

gibtti Senior Member

If that were the case they would've punched into the track at a quiet-er spot where the tambourine momentarily stops eg where the song breaks a few seconds previously.

To me it sounds exactly like someone's punched into the wrong track (probably meant for the lead vocal track where there would've been silence at that point) but quickly stopped the tape again.

The squeak is the noise of the tape slowing to a stop while recording. You do hear it a few times on the unmixed boots out there. One that comes to mind is the end of the lead guitar on Leave My Kitten Alone.

In my old cassette multitrack taping days, I did the same on the odd occasion and it sounds pretty similar......

Chris

9. Onder

Onder Senior Member

The problem is that the tambourine doesn't stop throughout the song, it's in the guitar solo too.
    There's no quiet moment for a "safe punch-in".

Ondra

lukpac likes this.
  10. Bill Lettang

Bill Lettang Forum Resident

I don't profess to know what happened but the problem definately exists on the multi track as I have several rough mix versions. What I'd like to know, and this is an after thought...do they surpass the 2009 and 2012 stereo remasters? Are they all analog as claimed on the Fremer site? Thanks all!!

11. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yes, yes and yes

12. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Same thing happens after the guitar solo in 'Leave My Kitten Alone'.

13. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Did we ever find out about "Love" (original) vs "Love" (2014)? Has no-one compared them ?

Was the original a double album also ? I ask, because my local shop has got stock back in after Christmas but surprisingly it looks as though it's still an older copy of the 2006 issue. While it mentions Calderston on the rear there's no ©2014 I seem to recall seeing on the new pressing before it sold out at Christmas.

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  14. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The albums are cut at Abbey Road so they may have cut second identical lacquers for QRP who will I imagine do their own plating/stampers. I would not expect there to be a significant difference given the high quality Optimal delivered but QRP use a different vinyl formulation which may make a difference.

15. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

QRP is better in my opinion

16. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

How do i recognize the QRP press from the Holland press? I want this new analogue vinyl of the blue album. Good reviews? True analogue? Good as the mono box? Thanks!

17. bootbox

bootbox Forum Resident

I have the first pressing of Love, it's one of the my go to albums to show non-believers that vinyl can be noise free and sound great.

The SDA effect is super strong on this one too, there's stuff swirling all over the room.

18. culabula

culabula Unread author.

First of all, the QRP pressing will not be released until stocks of the current pressing are exhausted.

Secondly, the current pressing is not Dutch but German, pressed in Germany by Optimal.

Thirdly, it is excellent, no need to wait for the QRP pressing.

sassi, Mazzy, e.s. and 2 others like this.
  19. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

and how exactly do you know this? advance copies of these records from QRP?

rediffusion likes this.
  20. culabula

culabula Unread author.

You can read about the differences between the original Love and the new Love on the 25/01/2015 entry on this site, which effectively answers my own question above. Copies are identified by a new style of sticker on the front cover and unlike 1, the new issue does not sport ©2014 on the rear sleeve.

So, I bought one.

http://beatlesblogger.com

21. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

It's from personal experience. I've bought enough records pressed by both and I've found QRP to be better. Less QC issues.

Are you looking to start an argument?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  22. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

you're making an assumption without having heard the products being discussed. you should probably not be involved.

rediffusion likes this.
  23. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

He is referring to the pressing plants, not any individual titles. sheesh, sensitive lot today, you guys get snubbed at the grammys?

Ben Sinise and Robert C like this.
  24. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

While in general I would agree QRP pressings are better than Optimal the Optimal Red/Blue releases I purchased were flawless. You can't predict that QRP will be any better or even they may have some issues with this one. I do think they use a better sounding vinyl formula which is likely to make a marginal difference. Not worth waiting maybe a year for Optimal pressings to sell out. They have yet to produce the promised 'Amused To Death' 2 years after being announced.

e.s. likes this.
  25. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

And you should be involved? Your comment makes no sense. You're just looking to start an argument. Not going down this road.

Oh, and by the way, you should post your profile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.