Quadio Chicago BluRay Box Set announced

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JonUrban, Apr 28, 2016.

1. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

Get it, you'll love it. Instead of asking about our equipment, what's yours?

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I think Marc's point isn't that discrete is bad, but that the various balances should make sense musically. I.e., putting a percussion overdub in one channel is fine, but if it is too loud or doesn't have an appropriate amount of reverb, it will stick out and the mix won't be musical.

Kind of like the stereo mix of Satisfaction. Arguably fun and interesting, but few could argue it is well balanced.

3. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

The stereo mix of Satisfaction almost makes the song worth listening to. It is unusual, but I wouldn't say unbalanced.

Insofar as the Chicago box set is concerned I began with disc IX. It kicks off with 25 Or 6 To 4 - for me it is full of life and absolutely belts out of the loudspeakers. For me the quad mixes gel together exceptionally well. For me they are balanced perfectly. I get the impression that there are people that think Pet Sounds 5.1 mix is heavy in the rear speakers. But it doesn't sound that way to me.

Relative volume or loudness of one or more elements can make or break a mix, but instrument placement not so much for me.

4. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

This is why I'm hesitant to get the set. I have a 5.1 setup with satellite speakers for the rears. I'm thinking that my setup isn't really suitable. It sure doesn't fit what quad was back in the day!

5. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

Yes! Couple of QQ-ers have the Q8 of Sound Of Music (I'm not one of 'em sadly or I'd help out!) and rate it.. No idea why the Sony SACD was Stereo-only.. "Strategic Marketing" maybe? Quad tapes unavailable or unusable?

6. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Keep an eye on Craigslist and/or hit a few second hand stores. People sell nice speakers for cheap. It may take a few months to find the right ones for you depending on where you live but deals can be had. I use an app for my Android tablet that will alert me whenever new "speakers" posts are added.

I found some mint condition Speakerlab DAS 4s, Vifa tweeters like in my other speakers, and 8 inch woofer. They were $30. Added a couple of small sealed 8 inch passive subs running in stereo and I now use them as my mains for quad and rears for 5.1.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2016
  7. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

Thanks for the reply. I guess I should have given a bit more information. I do have an extra pair of FS52's. The problem is space for 'em. That and the fact that the wife would have a major conniption. ;)

8. fredblue

Oh please do jump off the fence! You'll get splinters in your pants! Don't delay, these Chicago Quads are unmissable! :D

It's in my SHF profile but.. 5.1 Speakers: Monitor Audio BX5 Fronts, Monitor Audio BX2 Rears, Monitor Audio BX Centre, REL Q50 Subwoofer, Denon AVR-2310, Cambridge Audio Azur 651 BD (essentially an Oppo BDP-93), Target Audio stands for Rear speakers, Spatial Audio cabling.. so nothing flash but boy do these new Chicago Quadio's sound blinking amazing through my 'umble lil rig, I can only imagine how incredibubble they must sound through a better system!!

9. Hymie the Robot

It isn't super expensive if you look around for a deal. Hide a couple small subs connected to the small rear satellites if your not happy with how it sounds. ...or dump the wife and get a couple massive 3 ways for your rears;)

SteelyNJ, JamesD1957 and fredblue like this.
  10. fredblue

Fwiw, my speakers are a combination of Floorstanders at the Front and Standmounters at the Rear (partly due to budgetary limitations and especially down to space constraints, I live in the centre of town in a place the size of a shoebox, Floorstanders at the Rear are not an option chez moi..!).. that said I doubt I'd really need Full range Floorstanding speakers at the Rear in a place that size, my bookshelf-sized Rears (Monitor Audio's BX2, mounted on cast iron stands filled with sand, positioned to the sides and just behind my couch, firing back out into the room) rated frequency range bottoms out at 42Hz and the Denon's Audyssey setup determines these little speakers indeed to be "Small", crossing them over to the sub at 60Hz.. I never feel like I am missing one note of bass, one thud of the kick drum, it's all there.. although maybe I just don't know what I'm missing as I've never heard it! I jest, of course.. but you get the picture, I hope.. Why not get the discs, play them and if for some reason you find bass lacking, upgrade your sub or something.? ... Seemples! :D

JamesD1957 likes this.
  11. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

After you explain that you must move the seating to the middle of the room for the "Most vivid quadraphonic experience" (bottom left illustration) she might be distracted from the full size rear speakers issue.:)

[​IMG]

12. Hymie the Robot

For fun, you should temporarily switch your front outputs to the rears and your rears to the front, then turn your listening chair around. Recalibrate, and crank it up.

fredblue likes this.
  13. fredblue

Hahaha.. :D

Slip her a few quid and send her off to the mall for the day..
    While the cat's away, run to the nearest audio dealer and grab the big speakers you want there and then!
    Hastily rearrange the room as per the old Quad diagram, swapping out your Rears for the big ones..
    Tired and preoccupied with her new purchases, I doubt she'll notice..
    Put on "If You Leave Me Now" in Quad..
    She'll love it and she'll love you for it!

"Time to rearrange..
    Time to rearrange..
    Stop this acting strange,
    Found us a beautiful place,
    Perfect time and space
    And now we can retrace..
    Now we can retrace,
    All we have begun,
    New oblivion,
    Havin' lots of fun..
    Got to get back inside.."

Seemples! :righton:

JamesD1957 and Hymie the Robot like this.
  14. fredblue

Oh I like it! I'm all about having fun! :goodie:

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  15. Hymie the Robot

Just make sure no power is on when doing the switch!!!

fredblue likes this.
  16. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Not a comment I'd like to see taken out of context ... :whistle:

17. fredblue

Haha.. :D
    I've had a few shocks in my time, good advice though, that might be the lethal one, even if just for my my speakers/amp rather than little ol' me..!! :yikes:

18. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

Might make an interesting Poll.

Which is more important in your life?:
    Music/Audio -
    Significant Other -
    I just can't decide -

:)

fredblue likes this.
  19. fredblue

There are 3 of us in my marriage.. :biglaugh:

20. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

My S.O. last week: "I'd love to sit and listen to music with you, but I don't feel like staring at the back of your head."

21. Hymie the Robot

If you get behind her you could multitask;)

nightenrock likes this.
  22. Hymie the Robot

fredblue likes this.
  23. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Just to echo what other posters have said without getting technical (as if I know how),

Recessed vocals very evident on several key songs, Discs I & II (all I've listened to so far). Bass is inconsistent on Disc II but that I can live with (adjust subwoofer vol. via Receiver's remote pretty easy).

Oppo BDP-93
    Definitive Technology Mythos 7 FL. FR.
    Def Tech Mythos recessed rear ceiling speakers
    Denon 2311 CI HT Receiver

24. Hymie the Robot

Small rear ceiling speakers and this and most quad mixes don't mix. If you like multichannel music and Chicago, try the DVD-Audio versions of II and V. The vocals will be louder too. Less music in rears, more music up front and center.

Switch your outputs on oppo from rears to front and fronts to rears if you want to get an idea of just how much music you are actually missing from the rear output channels. Make sure to write down your settings first because you will need to recalibrate obviously.

25. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Running HDMI from OPPO to Denon so switching F to R and vice versa not gonna happen. I'm happy with my other 3 quad CDs and I hope when I get to some of the other Chicago discs I'll hear an improvement. Like others, I've written to Rhino and hopefully will receive some corrected discs. Sure, bigger is (usually) always better but it is what it is in the media room. Audyssey(sp??) has, hopefully, taken care of "balance" issues between the Mythos 7s up front and the recessed Mythos in the ceiling.