Quadio, Which group is deserving for the next quad boxset

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hamhead, Feb 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware Thread Starter

It looks like the Chicago Quadio bluray box set was a success having sold out and going into a second run.

Which Warner distributed (Warner/Reprise, Elektra/Asylum, Atlantic/Atco) act to you think deserves to have the follow up boxset.
    All groups must have had their albums released in quad back in the day, thus no nominations for Led Zeppelin, The Grateful Dead, or Abba.

I pick the Doobie Brothers:

The Captain and Me. Warner Bros. BS4-2694
    Toulouse Street. Warner Bros. BS4-2634
    Stampede. Warner Bros. BS4-2835
    What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits. Warner Bros. WS4-2750

It's too bad that Rhino can't licence quad catalogs from other labels (like Universal and Sony) for release.

Quadraphonic Discography "Popular Recordings - Complete List"

ODShowtime, clhboa, chas1 and 4 others like this.
  2. videoman

videoman Senior Member

That's the one everyone is clamoring for.

Frankly, I don't know how many other 'catalogs' of quad exist in the Warner archives. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like they were the most active of quad labels back in the day.

makedatmusic likes this.
  3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Seals & Crofts also had four quad albums, not that I expect anyone would want a box very much.

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I'd like to see four quad albums from Warner / Elektra / Asylum packaged together, maybe like:

Joni - Court and Spark or Hissing Lawns
    Gordon - Sundown
    Doobies - Vices
    America - History Hits

jlf, PBo and AudiophilePhil like this.
  5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Warner plus Reprise was very active in quad mixing. You then add in the Atlantic/Atco, Asylum and Elektra catalogs and you have a massive number of titles to choose from.

makedatmusic likes this.
  6. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Really? I'm not seeing it in terms of artists with enough quad albums to do a box set for. And even less if you start to consider what the market potential is.

But like you suggested, maybe they could package some different artists together? But then, at the point, why not just release the titles individually?

However they do it, I hope the Chicago set was successful enough that they decide to do more Quadio releases. Other labels as well. It's sad that so many of these mixes are lying around in vaults somewhere deteriorating and so many people that want to hear them/buy them won't get the chance to. Even just release them as downloads. Is it really so hard to make their money back and turn a small profit on already finished, decades old mixes? I would think in this day and age they'd be looking for ANY angle they could find to sell any piece of product they hold the rights to.

makedatmusic likes this.
  7. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I suppose, in some cases at least, the artists have to be on board? I've heard stories that Don Henley doesn't want the quad mixes of the Eagles' albums released. Too bad because the quads "On The Border", "One Of These Nights" and the existing 5.1 mix of "Hotel California" would be a nice little set to have....

makedatmusic likes this.
  8. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

I think these might now come under the auspices of Warners (were previously on Warner/Reprise/Atlantic/Elektra/Asylum etc) and had more than one Quad;

Bread/David Gates x 4 (Baby I'm A Want You, Best Of, First, Never Let Her Go)
    Carly Simon x 5 (S/T, Hotcakes, No Secrets, Playing Possum, Best Of)
    Deep Purple x 2 (Machine Head, Stormbringer)
    Doobies x 4 (Toulouse St, Captain & Me, Vices, Stampede)
    Eagles x 2 (On The Border, One Of These Nights)
    Frank Sinatra x 5 (My Way, G Hits Vol 2, Ol Blue Eyes Is Back, Main Event Live, Some Nice Things I've Missed)
    Frank Zappa/Mothers x 2 (Apostrophe, Overnite Sensation)
    Gordon Lightfoot x 2 (Sundown, Cold On The Shoulder)
    Graham Central Station x 2 (S/T, Ain't No Bout A Doubt It)
    Herbie Mann x 2 (Hold On I'm Comin', Reggae)
    James Taylor x 2 (Gorilla, One Man Dog)
    Joni Mitchell x 2 (Court & Spark, Hissing Of Summer Lawns)
    Modern Jazz Quartet x 2 (Last Concert, Blues On Bach)
    Randy Newman x 2 (Good Old Boys, Sail Away)
    Seals & Crofts x 4 (Diamond Girl, Summer Breeze, Unborn Child, I'll Play For You)
    Souther Hillman Furay Band x 2 (S/T, Trouble In Paradise)
    Spinners x 3 (S/T, New & Improved, Pick Of The Litter)
    Tony Orlando & Dawn x 2 (To Be With You, He Don't Love You..)

9. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

Doobies, please.

Also, I'm *still* waiting patiently on the replacement for the 'accidental mono' discs I got with my Chicago Quadio box...anyone else?

makedatmusic and giantleech like this.
  10. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

joni, for sure. sh&f would be nice

11. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

There are also unreleased quad mixes they could include, like Joni Mitchell's "Blue" and "Best Of Bread 2".

fredblue likes this.
  12. fredblue

right and if rumour's to be believed there may be a number of other tasty unreleased Quads in Warner's vault, including Rod Stewart's "Atlantic Crossing".

just a thought, Chicago were on Columbia in the Quad era, now they're on Rhino.. are there any other acts that were similarly on another label and now on Rhino that might enable their Quads to be released under the Quadio banner also at this time?

13. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Santana would be good sure there are a few albums

14. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

PLUS, add in the later finished "surround" mixes of "Sinatra At The Sands" (which was released on DVD-A) and "Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim" and "September Of My Years" (both of which were finished, but sadly never released)

Mr. Bob Dobalena, PBo and fredblue like this.
  15. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

Jefferson Airplane

fredblue likes this.
  16. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Looks like RHINO may currently be in control of the JIM CROCE catalog? If so, I'd gladly welcome all of his main albums, originally on ABC, which were mixed to Quad, to be reissued. Rumor has it that Audio Fidelity was attempting to get these licensed last year, which would be excellent, especially knowing how much Steve Hoffman, like me, loves Jim Croce, so it would be nice to give him the job of remastering all of these.

"You Don't Mess Around With Jim"
    "Life And Times"
    "I Got A Name"
    "Photographs & Memories : His Greatest Hits"

Bring them all on!

makedatmusic and fredblue like this.
  17. fredblue

Lotus aside as recently released by Audio Fidelity, there's quite a lot of Santana and related in Quad, by my reckoning there's;

Abraxas,
    Amigos,
    Azteca,
    Borboletta,
    Caravanserai,
    Festival,
    Greatest Hits,
    Illuminations w/Alice Coltrane,
    Live! With Buddy Miles!,
    Love Devotion Surrender w/Mahavishnu Orchestra & John McLaughlin
    Santana,
    Santana III,
    Welcome..

..they all come under the umbrella of Sony Music afaik though, so can't see a Quadio box on Rhino happening sadly, unless they were to license from Sony?

18. fredblue

[​IMG]

Ed Hughes, Jaap74, Lucidae and 3 others like this.
  19. fredblue

oh yes! 5 x Quads and 3 x 5.1's would make a lovely Sinatra surround box.

Chris C and jeffreybh like this.
  20. fredblue

would you include the Jefferson Starship albums in Quad too?
    maybe a Grunt Quadio boxset with Hot Tuna Quads also?
    (think these may all come under Sony?)

21. fredblue

think the last that was mentioned over @QQ was that his widow controlled the catalogue and refused AF when they tried to licence the albums/Quads?

22. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I suspect unreleased quad based on the Worst Of tracks, but to do all incl. Tuna would be a lot of discs.

fredblue likes this.
  23. Doobies Quad seems like a reasonable option from a marketing standpoint. I see that Poco has four Quad albums released (deliverin', crazy eyes, seven and cantamos). Man, would I love to hear those. I'm probably one of the few folks here that would go for it though.

clhboa, makedatmusic and fredblue like this.
  24. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Would love to see some more Quad releases, but the Chicago box would be the exception I would assume. Not holding my breath for more. And has AF given up on Quad?

25. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Columbia should start releasing Quadio box sets. I think it was the most active quad label in the 70's and the classic Chicago quad albums originally came from that label.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.