Quadrophenia on Vinyl - Any Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fatman, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VinylNutz

VinylNutz Active Member

Anthony: I haven't heard a release date yet, but my understanding was Classic were doing all classic Who albums. They have completed everything up to Who's Next, so my guess is the Quadrophenia is next unless they decide to do some compilations first.

2. VinylNutz

VinylNutz Active Member

Great news. I suspected this. I haven't read the latest Stereophile yet so I better flip through it tonight.

3. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Thanks James.

I just checked out your Profile and, holy crap!, what an amazing vinyl rig you have! :bigeek:

How do you think this pressing sounds on it?

BTW, I quite enjoyed my stay in your fair city a few years back!

4. Just put on my old 80's MCA Quad LP and sounds fantastic. Also noticed that one disc has sides 1 and 4 on it and the other has sides 2 and 3. Does anyone know if all the albums were pressed like this?

5. crassus515

crassus515 Forum Resident

i've noticed this on several double LPs, alman bros live at filmore coming to mind first. not sure if all pressings of quad were done like this, but it begs the question as to what the logic behind doing this was. anyone? i've never come across any contemporary 2LP albums that arrange their tracks like this. seems strange to make you go back to the first LP after finishing sides 2 and 3 on the second record...

6. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

The logic was for automatic spindle drop TTs - you'd stack 'em and then flip the stack.

7. crassus515

ahhhhh. pretty cool. thanks for helping out a younger member who doesn't know the intricacies of the spindle drop tables. :)

8. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

UK Track LPs

9. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

The Sony Japanese pressing sounds best to me.

10. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I have an early German Track pressing, with the book, and it sounds excellent. However, the only thing I've compared it to is the lifeless sounding original CD.

11. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I'm hoping they'll make it to Face Dances. I can live without a 200 gram pressing of It's Hard.

12. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

What are some opinions on the UK Polydor LP reissue of Quad? I have a US Track pressing, just wondering how it would compare to the UK reissue as well as to the UK original Track pressing.

13. peter

peter Senior Member

I have a UK Track, German Track and CDN. brown label Track. All sound really good. I have never done an a-b. I think that the music here is sufficiently complex that vinyl is the only way to go.

You know, TO THIS DAY, at the age of 49, EVERY TIME I play a record, I look at the wall of cd's I have and ask myself "why?" This album is one primo example of that.

14. peter

peter Senior Member

Still looking for one of those.

15. crassus515

i saw a german track for sale the other day. didn't get it (already have way too many copies of this album already and don't need to be spending more on another when i'll definately be getting the classic reissue) but noticed that the record was incredibly thin. are all of the german pressings low mass like this? was this due to the oil shortage at the time it was released? (which from my understanding made UK copies when the album initially came out very hard to find)

16. peter

peter Senior Member

My German copy is on paper thin vinyl too.

17. Bruce Burgess

Mine, too. But it smokes the CD version of the original mix.

18. peter

peter Senior Member

My fellow Canadian, that can hardly surprise you now, can it?!?

19. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I always liked the boxset version, but I know that a 'TML' version would the ultimate.

I just recently added a Dynavector 17D3 moving coil cartridge which I bought when I was in your fair city in August.

Now that I have it installed (supposed to sound at its best after 50 hours, so a bit to go yet) I must give the LP a spin.

I haven't laid eyes on the Universal version that was released a couple of years ago.

20. pbda

pbda Forum Resident

The Classic Records Quad is available for preorder on musicdirect.com, but not yet on acousticsounds.com. Release date showing as "TBD".

21. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I have a late 70's US MCA (tan label) of "Quad" w/booklet. I will have to check the deadwax when I get home, but to these ears it sounded great. I thought"TML" was in the deadwax....and I gues that would explain it.

22. Bruce Burgess

Not at all. Vinyl rules.

23. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I've got a bunch of pressings for this--UK Track, the Sony Japan that you mention, a Promo stamped MCA, another basic MCA, etc.

The Sony and promo MCA are in mint condition. The UK Track is a bit beat up so I can't fully vouchsafe for the sound. The Sony Japan has what I tend to think of as typical Japanese vinyl sound: clean and detailed, sometimes a bit too clean. The Promo MCA is a little muddier than the Sony, but it has a more organic feel to it. If I want to better hear the mix (like listening to a CD:angel:) then I'll pick out the Sony; if I just want to turn it up and enjoy the music, I pick the MCA promo. I find I listen to the MCA a LOT more.

John K.

24. onlysleeping

onlysleeping Forum Resident

I have a rainbow MCA with TML in the deadwax. I could get a brown Track/USA locally, but if I'm understanding properly, the TML indicates the same pressing. Is this correct? Or would the US Track sound better than the rainbow TML MCA?

25. wildchild

wildchild Active Member

The Classic Quad is probably the easiest way to get a great sounding record.
    I also have a Japanese track 1st press that mall's any cd (especially the MFSL) off a map.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.