Quadrophenia / The Who Sell out - SHM-SACD May release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by moops, Mar 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moops

moops Senior Member Thread Starter

From CD Japan ......

UIGY-9093
    The Who/Quadrophenia[SHM-SACD] [Limited Release] [SACD] SACD
    4286 yen US$51/84.19 Release Date:2012/05/30
    Description:Uses the 2012 DSD master based on UK original analog tape.
    Reissue features the high-fidelity SHM-SACD format (fully compatible with standard SACD player, but it does not play on standard CD players)

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/d.html?KEY=UIGY-9093

UIGY-9092
    The Who/The Who Sell Out[SHM-SACD] [Limited Release] [SACD] SACD
    4286 yen US$51/84.19 Release Date:2012/05/30
    Description:Uses the 2012 DSD master based on UK original analog tape.
    Reissue features the high-fidelity SHM-SACD format (fully compatible with standard SACD player, but it does not play on standard CD players).

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/d.html?KEY=UIGY-9092

2. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

3. moops

moops Senior Member Thread Starter

No problem, it was just a heads up for everyone. :wave:

4. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

I got this e-mail today as well, looking forard to hearing how Quad will sound.

5. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Hmm... very curious to hear reviews on this. I've bought Quadrophenia so many times, but is one of my top ten albums of all time. If I hear that it's better than the Classic vinyl release or the gold MFSL CD, then I'm going to have to jump on it.

6. eelkiller

:wave: What the bleep, the other thread is for all releases, this is for the important ones.

7. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I just bought the Quad box set at Christmas. Should I really also get this too?? :shock:

8. eelkiller

Yes you should, for me :)

9. JohnG

I have the original lp, the first CD, the next remaster, the Japanese mini-lp and the Quad super deluxe box. Now another one? :help: :D

I'd really love Quad done in quad properly but Pete screwed that up on the box.

10. eelkiller

You don't own the Ultradisc so you have to buy this one.

11. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

As Pete once wrote...."There's more at the door, there's more at the door,there's moooorrrrrre" ;)

12. JohnG

Shoot me. I ordered this SHM-SACD.

13. GregM

GregM The expanding man

The lyrics on Quadrophenia have served me well. "Get a job and fight to keep it. Strike out to reach a mountain. Be so nice on the outside. But inside keep ambition."

14. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Bang!:D

15. Anonamemouse

Anonamemouse my other pink shirt is black too

I just ordered version #4...
    Le sigh... :rolleyes:

16. dee

dee Senior Member

Haven't made my mind up yet re: Sell Out sacd. Ymwv, for me I listened to the remastered original stereo mix included in the deluxe edition and it sounded fine to my ears. I enjoyed it very much. Just the bad bits in Rael with the intro not sounding good, the edit, and the dodgy harmony (mostly Pete) vocals, all which I assume are going to be reproduced on Rael for sacd as they are from the original tapes. Otherwise, I enjoyed the tonality and sound of the whole album. The organ and horn in Silas Stingy are a great touch to the arrangement. As is the organ in Relax. Of course, in the end, hearing a different mastering and on a different format and of a favorite title will be too tempting for me not to buy Sell Out on sacd. As far as tonight I am looking forward to revisiting the mono mix and remastering from the deluxe. Question: upon (re)mastering for both a stereo and mono mix to be included on the same cd (like for the upcoming Sell Out) can it be a problem (as it might be for a compilation cd) that perhaps one or the other of those mixes will either benefit or suffer from one generic (re)mastering, if that is how it is done? A 'one size fits all' mastering approach for two such contrary mixes which already have their own specific audio signature? For instance, the mono mix remastered on the deluxe on some tracks seems quite bass heavy when compared with the stereo mix? Of course, the stereo and mono mixes (and how they are each mastered?) are on separate discs for the deluxe release.

17. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

The Deluxe edition sounds somewhat compressed to my ears, I am hoping the SACD will fix that.

18. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Is the Sellout SHM-SACD mono, stereo or both?

19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Both.

20. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Does that mean the complete album in both stereo and mono?

21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yes. No bonus tracks however.

22. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Thanks. I'll probably have to get this one.

23. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

Is there another thread for Who Sell Out? I'm surprised no one has commented on it yet.

This is the one to get. Not compressed at all, the way the deluxe edition was. Even turned way up to match the level of the deluxe edition, everything still sounds more relaxed/smooth/round/whatever-term-you-prefer. The deluxe sounds boxed-in and edgy, the SACD is open and blooms. Awesome.

24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

While I never feel the urge to listen to Tommy, Quadrophenia has grown on me over the years to the point where it is my second favorite Who album (with Who's Next unchallenged in the top spot, of course). I still find it a bit overblown, and the "story" elements seem forced in spots - in some ways, I wonder how it would have sounded as a single disc "failed" project, like Who's Next) - but, it rocks and finishes with a fury. I think I'll pick up the SACD today.

On the fence on Sell Out - I prefer the mono mix, but wonder if it will it sound as good as the Classic 200g?

25. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

The Classic doesn't sound very good at all, it is way to bright and essssss-y.

The SHM SACD sounds much better, on both the mono and the stereo. As a quick example I compared the opening guitar on Tattoo, and while I know it's is not an audiophile recording there's a certain depth and richness (harmonics?) on the SACD which is smeared away on both the Classic and the deluxe edition.

Oh, and the stereo mix is better. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.