Quality Record Pressings - Excessive Dishing and Warping

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bubba-ho-tep, Apr 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Just to counteract this arguement I have 40 QRP pressed titles to date and every single one has been flat and noise free. Maybe I am just lucky I don't know, and I am sorry that others have not experienced this. IMHO QRP is getting close to the best pressing plant in the world (still currently Pallas imo).

2. Although I have an excellent original copy, this has been on my wishlist. I'm glad I saw your post and will now be ordering it. :)

3. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

I think you might be lucky. And, I think I'm unlucky.

4. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

I hav
    I have just ordered two QRP titles so it will be interesting to see how they are. Of two QRP LPs, I bought to date, one was dish warped but is now flat as a pond and is dead quiet too. The other one was fine.

I really don't know whey they persist with this 200 gram formulation? That seems to be part of the problem as far as I can tell. You'd think they would have learned from Classic Records' experience. 180 gram done right is as much as anybody needs (some would disagree with this) unless maybe the 200 gram formulation in some way gives them justification to hike up the prices? I passed on the Counting Crows AP vinyl 45 rpm, way too pricey over here, and bought the SACD instead.

hvbias and dconsmack like this.
  5. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I can't think of 40 QRP titles I would want, let alone have, but the very few I have are all I could expect or hope for from any vinyl record.

6. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Actually 41 and I want many more (no I don't work for AP/QRP)

1 Ben Webster - Ben Webster Meets Oscar Peterson AP
    2 Ben Webster - Gentle Ben AP
    3 Billie Holiday - All Or Nothing At All - MONO AP
    4 Billie Holiday - Body & Soul - MONO AP
    5 Billie Holiday - Songs For Distinque Lovers AP
    6 Cat Stevens - Tea For The Tillerman AP
    7 C oleman Hawkins - And Confreres AP
    8 Duke Ellington - Back To Back - Duke Ellington & Johnny Hodges Play The Blues AP
    9 Dusty Springfield - Dusty In Memphis AP
    10 Ella Fitzgerald - Clap Hands Here Comes Charlie AP
    11 Ella Fitzgerald - Like Someone In Love AP
    12 Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong - Ella & Louis - MONO AP
    13 Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong - Ella & Louis Again - MONO AP
    14 Freddie King - Getting Ready AP
    15 Illinois Jacquet - Swings The Thing - MONO AP
    16 Jimi Hendrix - Hendrix In The West Sony Legacy
    17 Jimi Hendrix - Live At Berkerly Sony Legacy
    18 Jimmy Witherspoon - Roots AP
    19 Kenny Burrell & The Prestige All Stars - All Night Long - MONO AP
    20 Muddy Waters - Folk Singer AP
    21 Oscar Peterson Trio - We Get Requests AP
    22 Patsy Cline - Greatest Hits AP
    23 Phoebe Snow - Phoebe Snow AP
    24 Ray Charles - Genuis + Soul = Jazz AP
    25 Ray Charles - Live In Concert AP
    26 Ray Charles & Betty Carter - Ray Charles & Betty Carter AP
    27 Shelby Lynne - Just A Little Lovin' AP
    28 Sonny Boy Williamson - Keep It To Ourselves AP
    29 Sonny Stitt - Blows The Blues AP
    30 Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto - Getz/Gilberto AP
    31 Ten Years After - A Space In Time AF
    32 The Doors - LA Woman AP
    33 The Doors - Morrison Hotel AP
    34 The Doors - Strange Days AP
    35 The Doors - The Doors AP
    36 The Doors - The Soft Parade AP
    37 The Doors - Waiting For The Sun AP
    38 The Grateful Dead - Reckoning AP
    39 The Ronettes - Presenting The Fabulous Ronettes - MONO Sundazed
    40 Tommy Flanagan - Overseas MONO AP
    41 Tony Joe White - Homemade Ice Cream AP

7. e630940

e630940 Well-Known Member

Defects happen but customer expectation in a product like this should be front and center IMO. AP only has to look at Music Matters for a course on customer focus!
    Communicating with QRP months ago about the first LP that I received with a dish warp did not give me the confidence that they were taking the matter seriously enough, so I am not surprised by the topic of this thread. I did get an apology about the warp but then the QA explanations of how it was expected to happen!! - made me switch to SACD.

8. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

About 1/3 of the QRP records I've bought were warped/dished. Fixed them all with my vinyl flat.

It's not just QRP. I've had badly warped Pallas pressings too. The used Doors' box set I just bought, pressed by RTI, had 6/7 warped records.

9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Folks,

Most if not all pressing machinery is optimal for pressing 140 gram records at most. Granted Chad's pressing equipment is modified to supposedly be optimized for the heating/cooling cycle needed for 180 gram records, but 140 gram titles are really better suited for most record buyers these days. It is less expensive and easier to manufacture a great 140 gram record than a 180 gram or 200 gram record. And in real life, they are plenty heavy enough to not be easily warped. And better for those without adjustable VTA.

googlymoogly, Satrus and sennj like this.
  10. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I don't have a single one of THOSE QRP pressed records, Jellis77, but I congratulate your diverse tastes in music. If there's one that caught my eye, it would be the Tony Joe White.

Too bad that's not Tony's Monument <STEREO> Black & White with the awesome "Polk Salad Annie" with some equally exciting sonics on it. For the most part, the 25 or so titles that I have from your list have been part of my collection for the better part of 45 years. I have several original Doors/Elektra recordings, of course.

[​IMG]

Love Ella's "Clap" too, BTW.

I might get quieter surfaces by buying this new stuff, but I know that what I have is what is historically accurate, so I can save myself that ~ $1600. It took me about the last 5 years of spending to get to that much money on vinyl.

This adds little to the discussion of the quality of QRP vinyl, but like I said, I have maybe four LPs from that plant, but NONE of them are AP; again, they are all near-perfect.

McLover likes this.
  11. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Which Mingus 45 rpm?

Black Saint And the Sinner Lady - Pallas
    Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus - Pallas
    Mingus Ah Um - RTI
    Let My Children Hear Music - unknown (I don't have it)

Am I missing any?

12. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

Black Saint And the Sinner Lady: Analogue Productions. Has the QRP sticker on the loose-fitting shrink wrap. Stampers look like they're from RTI. Definitely 200g.

13. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

Could anyone imagine getting a dish warped SACD/CD/Blu Ray/DVD?
    200g is too thick. Historically, that weight is prone to dish warping. If they can't do it right, I wish they wouldn't do it at all. It's too bad... the mastering of the titles they've put out so far are some of the best I've heard. It's Classic Records all over again.

14. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

I'm wondering how much shipping and sitting in a hot truck have to do with it? The drivers goes to lunch and it gets what, 120* in there easy.

15. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

It must have been repressed like A Love Supreme, which is now pressed at QRP. My older pressing of Black Saint and the Sinner Lady is from Pallas, like all my Impulse! AP 45 rpm reissues. It has the Pallas A#### machine stamped number in the deadwax, Pallas inner sleeves and that characteristic sharp edge profile.

I agree they should be sticking with 180g or even 140g. I have a Classic Records 200g pressing that is so warped one of the edges raises up about an inch off the platter. I guess QRP are going to market their "perfect" pressings under the UHQR name and sell them for twice the price.

dconsmack likes this.
  16. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

personally, I want to remain ignorant to what happens to the package between warehouse and my house......when I buy an expensive piece or pieces I always pay the extra shipping for UPS, there is no way USPS is handling these with any care

17. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

-------------------
    That's why Ben & Jerry's never uses them. ;>O

18. JakeLA

JakeLA Senior Member

imarcq likes this.
  19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

This is true. We would be better off with lighter vinyl.

googlymoogly likes this.
  20. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The Sundazed titles being complained about are lighter vinyl (140g). I can only remember receiving one dished record from QRP. It was slight enough to live with and was over 200g - which is when you usually find dishing issues. Many Classic 200g SVP pressings suffered from the dish syndrome. Generally been lucky with QRP. Very quiet vinyl but one or two have had a side pressed slightly of centre. Also they have difficulty centering labels over the hole.

21. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Have they tried to move into 200 gm? If so, that's a shame. The few Quality pressings I have were just that. You could have plugged the hole and served the cat milk out of most of the Classic 200 gm. records, though, and the old MoFi Anadisc 200s were almost universally noisy.

22. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

No issues with my pressing.

23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I don't want that guy handling any of my equipment!!! What a POS that guy is.

24. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

You're lucky

25. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Chad should stick to 140 gram records, because something isn't quite right. 90% of the QRP pressed LPs that I buy have issues.

I find that Mobile Fidelity is much better in QC department.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.