Quality Record Pressings - Excessive Dishing and Warping

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bubba-ho-tep, Apr 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

Handle With CAre LOL LOL LOL!!!

2. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

I think you're right on that but QRP's vinyl formulation is quieter and more glossy than the RTI MoFi's. It would be great if they (QRP) could eliminate all these problems we are reading about because the product has the potential to be really top notch.

3. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I think that Mobile Fidelity has their LPs pressed at RTI.

Edit: I see I was a little late with this.

4. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

I received a Blue Note 45rpm recently along with the SACD to do a quick A/B test. Figured I'd give the one I didn't need to a friend. The sound quality was just about even on both. A hair wider on the 45 as to be expected. Very close though even at volume. The 45 however had sporadic points of surface noise. I couldn't justify giving that to a friend but Acoustic Sounds happily returned it for credit.

Based on this test and what others such as in this thread, I'm mostly sticking with SACD's for reissues and hunting down 1st or 2nd pressings for others when I can find them.

5. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I've ran all my new vinyl through a Spin-Clean for years now. Surface noise is not a problem and after a clean all of my AP 45 rpm records are dead quite. Same with my Music Matters and MFSL releases. Records take a little extra work but it's worth it.

6. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I ordered and received a copy of that Tony Joe White LP from QRP that Jellis77 wrote of above. It arrived flawless on Friday. Sounds great, too, and quite a departure from the Black and White album for sure. This one will definitely grow on me.

7. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Hey I'm glad you like it and you got a flawless copy too. I have the Monument LP that you mentioned and a CD comp but that's it. Would like to hear some more Tony Joe.

8. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I guess I'm just a lucky guy but so far QRP has been batting near 1000 for me.

stinsojd, ssmith3046 and Myke like this.
  9. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

I have had a half dozen warped and scuffed discs from QRP. Same old song, just a different dance. I am done with him.

10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Black and White is one of my favorite LP discs, really superb recording quality. Recorded at RCA Studio B by Roy Shockley if I recall.

11. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Since I'm a huge fan of Blue Train, I ordered the new QRP pressed 45 rpm reissue. Record 1 was warped and record 2 side 3 was off center by a decent amount. The sound quality was also much harder and brighter than the earlier mastering pressed at RTI :(

12. DR.J

DR.J Forum Resident

Guess I'm just lucky. I have a dozen or so QRP issues and everyone so far has been nearly flawless. YMMV.

stinsojd and ssmith3046 like this.
  13. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Just got 2 QRP John Vanderslice lps that are perfect. I've had good luck so far. I'd guess they'd be good about returns on their own presses regardless.

14. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

The mastering is different?

15. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

You wouldn't think they would have to remaster it at this point. It's not like it's flying off the shelves. Wonder what makes the difference?

16. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

It has to be, I don't think the differences could be down to just vinyl formulation, plating, etc. I should have checked the deadwax, but I've already sent it back to AS.

17. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

I got the 2 Lynyrd Skynyrd reissues about 10 days ago and both were flat and flawless, very well done indeed. As for centering, nearly every LP is slightly off in my experience so I just did a little bit of 'tinkering' on 'Second Helping' only, to get it to revolve concentrically. The other LP ['Nuthin' Fancy'] was fine.

18. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

record clamp can easily fix dish warps for playback if it is not to severe, no? Works for me.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  19. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Are the Sony Legacy 2010 re issues of the Hendrix AYE, Axis and ELL QRP pressings?
    When did QRP introduce those "QRP" inner sleeves?

20. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

US editions are RTI but the more recent mono Hendrix are pressed at QRP. They don't appear to use the QRP clear iners on all records. BTW avoid the EU (MOV) stereo versions though I believe they got analogue lacquers for the mono versions.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  21. Gordon Johnson

I really need to get this cleared up, so lets say I'm totally new to all this!

The initial 2010 Legacy pressings are RTI pressings and not pressed at QRP, different pressing plants, yes or no.
    When I say initial pressings I mean the initial limited numbered pressings but I take it that the following non numbered vinyl are also RTI.

The inners of the more recent QRP's have the inners that clearly state "QRP", how long have they been using those inners do we know?

I was just about to buy a MOV pressing of the stereo AYE to help me clarify some listening questions, your comment has me even more intrigued!

Yes they [MOV] did get analogue lacquers for the mono pressings from what I can discern.

22. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

First find a US (RTI) pressing of AYE stereo. If you want the UK version will have to get MOV - I can't recall if MOV has additional original US tracks (double vinyl). This may be better than the 1997 digitally sourced release (numbered) but it is from hi-res I'm sure.

2010 US Legacy stereo are RTI (some may have been numbered). Mono AYE (UK/US) and Axis are QRP - so is 'People Hell And Angels'.

QRP used own inners sporadically - the mono Hendrix use custom inners that are not nice. I have Sundazed from concurrent releases (2/3 years ago) where one title has plain diecut sleeve and another came with QRP sleeve. So I would say QRP sleeves used on non AP titles from mid 2012 but not always.

23. Going back to the OP, yes, I also have had bowed / dished LP's from AP / QRP. I have the recent CCR box set from AP and EVERY LP in that box is bowed! However, I find this is a very common problem today, alarmingly so. Every Beatles Mono title I've had has been the same so it is not a QRP exclusive problem. In general their vinyl is much quieter than MFSL and although my CCR LP's are bowed I have elected to keep them without complaint. They all play really well and if I'm forced to accept less than perfect Beatles and Nick Drake titles from Optimal, why should I complain to AP/QRP?

It seems no one can press perfectly flat HEAVY vinyl anymore. Even one of two MFSL LP's of mine have arrived bowed: several Sinatra and Dylan's Blood On The Tracks. To this end I have elected to avoid vinyl Lp's altogether. I won't purchase used vinyl anymore as 99.9% of sellers online woefully and wrecklessly over-grade used LP's and new Lp's are getting it bit meh.

I have the 2010 Hendrix Sony titles, all pressed at RTI with Sterling markers. I also have the European AYE and Axis in mono which I believe were done by MOV but they do not say this. They are quiet, flat and I believe all analogue. They do not have QRP type inner sleeves. In fact I recall they are plain white die cut paper sleeves. I replaced these with Nagaoka (?) type poly-liners

24. Gordon Johnson

Thanks for all the info'.
    I have the 2010 issues of AYE / AXIS / ELL, all RTI.
    I know my questions appear to be a little stupid but I have information here from Sony which offers up information which I believe to be incorrect.
    Thus, stupid questions!!! Sorry.

The initial pressings of the US 2010's are numbered [not sure what up to tho']. They came in clear plastic inners and not QRP' thinner, text'd and paper inners.

So for my next question.
    If it has STERLING in the dead wax does this exclude QRP ?

25. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Gorts —

Please change the title of this thread to Quality Record Pressings — A Bunch of Complaints About Dishing and Warping From 2013 and Then Suddenly A Smattering of Random Comments From 2015 But the QRP-Bashing Thread Title Will Live On Forever Despite The Label’s Improved Track Record*

Thanks!

ssmith3046 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.