Queen [1991] Innuendo - How's the new re-issue compare?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KAJ1971, Apr 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse. Thread Starter

Hello, I have a copy from 1991 on vinyl. A few of the tracks are edited, so I wondered if anyone had both and thought the new version is an improvement. Or would I just be getting it for unedited tracks but not so good sound?
    Karl.

Man at C&A likes this.
  2. Tim Bexter

Tim Bexter Well-Known Member

I think 2011 CD and 2015 Vinyl remasterd are good and improved. Although 2011 cd is compressed, it has great eq'd tonallity and clarity. 1991 CD sounds lifeless and flat though it has good dynamic range. 2015 vinyl is even better than 2011 CD. I recommend that!

WDeranged likes this.
  3. KAJ1971

Thanks. I might give the new one a go.

4. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

the old cd is not lifeless. i have it and it sounds quite nice.

ted209, peteham, Sean and 4 others like this.
  5. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

The 2015 vinyl is essentially the 2011 CD on vinyl. It sounds the same - it's the 2011 digital remaster on vinyl. There's no improvement over the original CD or vinyl. That said, the artwork is nicer, as you get more of it on the 2015 vinyl. But, you have to keep flipping sides after a few songs (for a few tracks that are only a little bit longer). But if you're looking for a sonic improvement, you won't find it. In fact, the 1991 CD is better - less compressed.

There's a thread on here about the 2015 Queen box set. It's worth a read.

6. Smegman

Smegman Forum Resident

The 2011 CD's EQ is a bit nicer than the original. More tasteful, so to speak. The limiting kinda ruins the excitement though. As for the 2015 LP, it's just the 2011 master on vinyl.

Jarleboy likes this.
  7. KAJ1971

Thought I might sell the original cd if the 2015 sounded okay, unedited tracks and that.

8. Tim Bexter

DR said that 2015 Vinyl has more dynamic range. In terms of EQ, 2015 Vinyls and 2011 CD is maybe same each other.

9. KAJ1971

Thanks, I'll have another search.

Sondek likes this.
  10. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

DR measures on vinyl records are pointless.

Sometimes mastering for LP is different and more dynamic, sometimes it's not. Your ears can (maybe) tell you, DR meter can't.

Anonamemouse, WDeranged and sathvyre like this.
  11. Tim Bexter

OMG, SO 2015 Vinyl Sounds Same with 2011 CD despite higher resoultion sampling and Dynamic range meter?

12. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

If there is any difference, it's not even noticeable. I don't find the EQ an improvement over the originals. It's easier just to stick on the original 1991 vinyl or 1991 CD where you don't have to keep flipping sides after three songs (and isn't as compressed as the remasters).

I also own the Japanese mini-vinyl CD. That's not bad. But overall, it's all much of a much. The originals aren't as compressed so they're my go to choice.
    Album list - Dynamic Range Database

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    walrus likes this.
  13. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Yes, which means it was done well in order to get it sounding as good as the 2011 CD on the 2015 vinyl.

14. Tim Bexter

I have Original CD and Innuendo SHM-CD which used 2011 Remaster. I think Innue do original cd is somewhat fine but sounds lifeless and dull.

2011 Innuendo has Bob Ludwig's Good and Bad points. Compressed but energetic and lively sound.

Like Queen II and Sheer Heart Attack 2011 Remaster, i enjoyed his good points despite some weakness.

WDeranged and Man at C&A like this.
  15. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

As Frittenköter mentioned above, the original CD isn't lifeless or dull at all. And to my ears, the 2011 / 2015 isn't an improvement over it whatsoever.

Sheer Heart Attack was one of the worst 2011 / 2015 remasters. Bloated bass, and just... well, terrible in general. Check out the 2015 Queen vinyl box set thread on here, you'll see that's the general opinion on that remaster too.

Queen II was the highlight of the remasters. The only album that was an improvement over the originals.

The_Windmill likes this.
  16. Tim Bexter

I don't think so... 2011 Sheer Heart Attack is better than 1993 cds. And Not so bloated sound.

17. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

It absolutely is bloated and muddy. It was generally considered the worst of the new remasters on here too. It's not a patch on the original vinyl, or the Japanese mini vinyl CD.

18. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

Keep your original dawg! the only edit that really bothers me is the "days of our lives" edit-- the other ones are more 'stealth'.

walrus and Sondek like this.
  19. Tim Bexter

Muddy? Doesn't it sound somewhat edgy? Ummm... how about 93 remaster?

20. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

The Japanese mini vinyl beats the 93 CD. No, it doesn't sound edgy to me at all. I think it's one of the worst remasters of Sheer Heart Attack. I'm far from alone with that opinion.

21. Tim Bexter

So your CD rank is...

1. 2004 japan Mini LP

2. Original CD

3. 2011 CD

4. 1993 CD

5. 1991 hollywood CD

Right?

22. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I'd place the 2011 remaster at the bottom. The 2004 Japanese mini vinyl is the best version of SHA on CD (it's the closest to the original vinyl).

23. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

@vinylman has a few versions of this album too, I believe.

24. Tim Bexter

I think hollywood cds and 93 remasters sounds not good... In terms of Sheer Heart Attack, some noise reduction and edgy treble in 93 Cd is somewhat annoying. 2011 SHA is compressed but it sounds clear and like band in living room. I would take hollywood cd at the bottom.

WDeranged likes this.
  25. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

If anything the original '91 CD of innuendo was a little light on bass, but the 2011/2015 went too far the other and had too much. The Japanese mini vinyl of Innuendo seems to get the right balance between the two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.