Queen 40th Anniversary remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Deuce66, Dec 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

Hope they won't be regional, i would prefer to have the euro ones like the beatles boxes.

2. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

They probally won't because judging by the Greatest Hits 2011 remasters they seem to be using The Beatles 2009 remasters as a 'model of how it should be done' ie boosting the bass, but Queen's recording techniques were much better than The Beatles because they were recorded much later in the 1970's and so do not need a 'Bass Boost' because the bass was always clear, and judging from the 'Greatest Hits 2011 remasters' the bass is far to powerful, that with the fact they are 2db too loud and IMO they sound terrible and no where near as good as the 1993/1994 and original EMI's, which is such a shame because I was ready for a new version because the originals are very short on artwork etc, my hope is that the GH remasters would have been done louder and the actual albums will be OK, i doubt it though:shake:

3. murray45

murray45 New Member

No amount of remastering could make this lot sound any good:o

4. Smiths22

mmmm Beatles' bass was boosted because of Maca. I don't believe Deacon is eager to have his bass boosted too.

5. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

That's pure conjecture and not a fact.

6. ziggysane

ziggysane Forum Resident

The Beatles Remasters are audiophile masterpieces compared to the hyper-squashed dreck of Queen GH I & II.

If you're referring to EQ and additional bass the case could be made, but in terms of overall mastering it's insulting to compare the Beatles Stereo catalog to the Queen 2011 remasters based on what we've seen so far. (Edit: I'm leaving this as is, but I went back and noticed that it's more harsh than it sounded in my head. Sorry. 0:) I still think that there's no comparison overall though).

7. Smiths22

yes it is, however its a good one....:laugh:

Relax, we should wait till the official albums come out.....no compilations.

8. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Queen is one of the worst bands ever, in terms of re-releases. Bad 1993-94 remasters, crappy DVDs with little extras, video collections without all their videos, same material re-re-re-released instead or something new, etc, etc. So these disposable 40th anniversary seires aren't a surprise for me

I remember being on the official Queen forum for a long time. There were all sorts of polls, feedback, etc from the fanbase to Bryan, who said he read the input. For years fans waited for comprehensive singles collection, but after being given the bunch of 2-3 songs cash-in CD singles instead it was too much, I was out :thumbsdn:

9. dustinblythe

dustinblythe Member

Heavy Bass: the iPod influence?

I remember reading once that many sixties albums and singles were mixed to sound good on the prevalent radios of the time: transistors and car stereos, neither of which were audiophile quality.

Perhaps the boosted bass on the Queen reissues is a nod to the prevalent "radios" of our time: the iPod, earbuds and laptop speakers. These listening devices often lack the ability to convey bass frequencies, unless those frequencies are boosted, either by the user or by other means (in this case, the record company and mastering engineer).

10. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

I have no clue personally but it's a hell of a theory. You're probably right.

11. Maidenpriest

Whats wrong with the 1993/4 Renasters, they sound better than the Hollywoods IMO, and what is wrong with there DVD's, i have been pleased with all the concerts released so far its just a shame we have no 1970's gigs yet, there are always plenty of extras etc ??

12. chriss71

chriss71 Active Member

Hear the first Pressings (CDP74 XXXX X) and you know whats wrong with it!:edthumbs:

13. Maidenpriest

I have the first pressings, and got rid of my 1993/4, but they could have been hell of a lot worse IMO

14. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

:agree: Better EQ but no noise left them sterile sounding.

15. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Me too , really hoping these are good sounding , would be nice to have some decent sounding Queen .

16. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

17. imthewalrus79

imthewalrus79 Forum Resident

I was wondering if anyone has gotten both the regular UK CD's and Japanses SHM-CD's of the Greatest Hits albums. If so, have you heard any difference in the sound quality between them?

18. jawilshere

jawilshere Forum Resident

19. DBMethos

DBMethos Forum Resident

Since they're actually touting the mastering job in the press release, I doubt they'd change it up for different regions. But I guess we won't know for sure until they're all out.

20. dustinblythe

dustinblythe Member

No Noise?

For those wary of the new reissues, particularly those who feared a "no noise" or hiss reduced mastering, take a look at this photo from the 40th Anniversary launch party. Note the "Dolby" symbol on the backdrop.

[​IMG]

Is this a giveaway that Dolby Noise Reduction was employed? Seems that way to me.

21. Maidenpriest

I disagree the first issue CDP's did not contain No Noise, hiss is very prominent!! more so than the 1993 remasters !

22. Smiths22

Will they be digipacks? somebody know anything?

23. Smiths22

Hey i think that maybe its time to buy this on the itunes format and not on CD..... i mean all those extras....

The reissues will be an iTunes “exclusive.” Somewhere (iTunes?) I read that the downloads will have bonus features-additional photos and the like that will not be available in the cd packaging. No mention if the exclusivity agreement is similar to the Duran Duran deal, that was exclusive to iTunes for a while, then released to more tradition channels. It would be interesting to compare sales through the various Amazon channels/eBay, vs iTunes download.

http://theseconddisc.com/2011/02/18/queen-reissue-batch-to-feature-another-compilation/

24. Mike the Fish

Mike the Fish Señor Member

Hi :wave:

That's a different thing. Dolby noise reduction should be used when a recording was made using a Dolby circuit. The circuit will compress certain frequencies to make them louder on the tape at the recording stage. On playback through the circuit these frequencies are expanded back to - in theory - their correct level taking with them the hiss level which is effectively filtered to a lower level.

The NR that people refer to as bothersome does not use this approach. There is no pre compensation recorded and as such the process can take out information that was not intended to go.

Does that make sense?

25. Smiths22

I think that means we still can get crap$y remasters? :shh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.