Queen - Sheer Heart Attack 2011 Remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TyphoonTip, Apr 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

:agree: I prefer listening to the 5.1 "down mixed" to 2 channel.

2. The 1993/1994 Queen remasters are pretty much universally despised on this forum, because of their use of noise reduction.

3. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

News Of The World MFSL is MASSIVE! My fave version. I haven't heard any of the new remasters yet however. I was afraid to go there and after reading here it looks like stormy seas. I may not bother with them.

4. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Me too ;)

5. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

Likewise! It sounds incredible to my ears.

6. bigdogpress

bigdogpress Forum Resident

THEY'RE!

7. TyphoonTip

TyphoonTip Forum Resident Thread Starter

Woops! As a newbie I wasn't aware that my opinion had to confirm to the general forum consensus. Here's me thinking it was subjective. Boy is my face red!

As far as those remasters go; there are some I think a quite good, like Queen I and Sheer Heart Attack, and others that are terrible, namely Jazz. But even the ones I like I certainly don't hold up as definitive versions. Far from it.

Now mate, I appreciate the correction, I really do. Particularly the CAPS; it really got my attention! However, it not only drew attention to my incorrect usage of 'their', it also sadly drew attention to the fact that your attempted correction was also wrong.:(

Now, I'm going to be sporting and not tell you which 'their, they're, there' is correct. I'll let you do the grammatical research that you clearly need.

So perhaps the next time you have the urge to correct spelling/grammar in a post (in CAPS no less), it might be best to rein yourself in until you've read over your year 8 English notes.

yogi.nasser likes this.
  8. valleyboy

valleyboy New Member

I remember a Brian May interview from the late seventies, where he said that the master tape for SHA was stolen. They recovered the tape but it was slightly damaged!

9. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I don't like it.... prefer the 2011 version :shh:

10. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Of "News Of The World"? :confused:

11. I prefer it too. :)

12. wolfram

:laugh:

13. chriss71

chriss71 Active Member

Yeah, they are good, but have you ever heard the A Night at the Opera DCC GZS-1144? For sure it is the best pressing out there! :cheers:

14. :righton: The DCC of A Night At The Opera is the best version I have heard. I've heard the original EMI, the 1991 Hollywood, the 1993 EMI remaster, the MFSL, the Crown Jewels version, the 2005 Ludwig remaster, and the DVD-A. The 2005 Ludwig remaster was the second best of those I've heard.

15. Touchy! You are going to have harden up if you are going to survive in this forum. :)

Anyway, welcome aboard. :)

16. TyphoonTip

I've got fairy thick leathery skin ....see Hulk Hogan.;)

Cheers for the welcome!:)

17. TyphoonTip

Just so I don't have to go trawling though threads, is there any recognised deferences/similarities between the 2005 & 2011 Opera remasters? As I've said before, to my ears, I can't really pick up much of a difference, if any at all.

If they are the same, it's pretty despicable promoting it as a 2011 remaster.

18. wolfram

From this thread:

Queen - A Night At The Opera CD-Comparison

19. TyphoonTip

Thanks for that.:)

Looks suspiciously like "...what change can we make that a) doesn't screw up the 2005 remaster, but b) allows us to justify calling it a 2011 remaster."

I'm not convinced they achieved b).

20. wolfram

Well, if they re-release their whole catalogue they can hardly leave off ANATO. And if there is a recent remaster by the same guy doing them now, why change it? Should they have released it as "2005 remaster" next to all the the 2011 remasters? That would only be confusing. I don't think anyone already owning the 2005 remaster expected this one to be noticeably different.

Though they could have made it louder. :D

21. TyphoonTip

The point is, it's a little dishonest.

Yes, why could they not be up front and say that, despite being released with new packaging, this is basically the 2005 remaster? So people don't waste their money in thinking it's a completely new re-take on the album. Or if they do decide to buy it, they know exactly what they're getting. ....Unless you had some sort of brain injury, I'm not sure how it could be confusing?

22. wolfram

You got a point there. Maybe it doesn't bother me because I didn't expect it to be different after the decent job on the 2005 remaster. At least not in a good way. So I never considered replacing the 2005 with the 2011 remaster.

23. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

It seems strange that they would not be consistent with the mastering style in this series. I'm hoping for good masterings, having pre-ordered the U.S. deluxe box from Amazon.

24. I'm hoping for the best too.

25. moops

moops Senior Member

TyphoonTip, you better not be caught liking a mastering that "the Forum" disapproves of, or any further opinions you have won't mean zip. Best not to have an original thought and just follow the user's guide below ........

Beatles :thumbsup:

Noise Reduction :shake:

Don't dis-respect "the waveform" :hide:

Thinking of starting a Who's Next thread ? :eek:

Rare, out of print pressings ALWAYS sound better ;)

Diament Zeps over Marinos :yawn:

Peter Mew :realmad:

Our Host :love:

and just in case you forgot

Beatles :thumbsup:

kaztor, Vel, yogi.nasser and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.