Queen Vinyl Reissues For 2015 (including boxed set and turntable)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stagnation, Nov 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident

I don’t consider the posts I have read claiming they love the box set or enjoy it as fanboy, I consider it an honest opinion based on what they hear, and see.
    You seem to be assuming they are posting they love it because they are blinded by how much they love Queen, I don’t think that is true.
    I do consider the constant negativity about all remasters or a good number being brickwalled just really tiresome.
    I can pull out probably 100s of examples of cds that have been beautifully remastered IMO, and people on here are picking them apart telling everyone don’t buy them.
    Everyone has different opinions and requirements, and my concerns are in general, to be fair I am yet to hear the Queen box set to comment either way, but I know people on here who forget to sit back and enjoy the product, but instead sit looking for problems, and that to me takes all the fun out of music.
    I will always report issues when I find them, and if my findings on this box set are negative I’ll share.
    I also know that based on pressing quality that stuff can vary greatly with today’s vinyl, some of these sets have shipped out with defective vinyl which I’m sure at $400 will rightly influence how it’s reviewed.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

They're beautiful to look at. For listening, you might as well listen to the CDs.

As semi-collectible ephemera, they are way overpriced.

3. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

A couple of statements from Steve Hoffman that might help you out...

and

DoF, Sondek and Guss2 like this.
  4. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

When you have a high profile title (such as Queen) that is near and dear to so many on this forum, the emotions are going to ride high on both sides. If you have original pressings with the "breath of life" intact due to being closer to the master in tape generation then there's a strong chance most things that come after are going to be a disappointment. But if you've never heard how good an original can sound then you may think an RE/RM sounds fantastic (even with some compression) because it plays better than the chewed copies from the used bin and didn't cost a fortune and you may just be excited to finally have a clean copy. Whatever the case keep in mind where the other guy is coming from.

5. Talisman954

Did you just accuse me of being a Troll!! Lol

6. marcb

marcb Senior Member

So if one loves it - flaws and all, they couldn't be blinded by their fandom? But if one doesn't like it, they're being negative and looking for problems and just jumping on a bandwagon and just not sitting back and enjoying the music?

And you are exempt from either of these characterizations because you (unlike others) are capable of calling them like you hear them - purely without bias?

You really don't get it...

7. Talisman954

It’s you that doesn’t get it.
    But that’s ok I don’t have time for petty back and forth.
    Let’s agree to disagree.

8. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

Fanboy here. Been that way since the early 70's. IMHO, and mine alone, the box is a beaut. Enjoy it. But crank it up. The louder it is the better it sounds.

Talisman954 and wino14 like this.
  9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Again, why do you think many releases (like those I mentioned) do NOT get panned while others do? You keep clinging to the notion that everything gets panned and ignoring the notion that maybe it’s the subpar stuff which by and large is drawing the ire here.

10. Talisman954

The point you are missing is your assuming my comments are aimed at the Queen box set, but as I pointed out I am yet to hear it.
    I was sharing frustration about in general the overly negative brickwalled brigade posts about all the remasters Of both cds and vinyl.
    Not even talking about this thread, it’s just again in general.
    I see way way too many posters trashing remasters using the brickwalled and loudness wars examples, even going as far as telling people to not buy them.
    Giving an opinion is fair enough, I come on here to read reviews and opinions, but sometimes the negativity on here is a little much.
    When I see someone excited about buying a collection of cds , and I read someone saying do not buy them they sound distorted and like they were recorded in a garden shed with a tin can, then that is what frustrates me, having read that thread and knowing I own those particular remasters, it was pure and utter exaggeration.
    As for why some of your list gets panned and others do not,you tell me why almost every remastered cd is all about loudness wars and brickwalled and I’ll answer your question.

11. jon9091

I’m not sure how you came to that conclusion. The point was to show that Steve Hoffman...the mastering engineer and owner of this site is describing exactly why this site exists. It’s for people to find the best versions of the music the love, and in doing so to make sure you have your equipment profile filled out before entering into to discussions about sound quality or making recommendations, so that people have a frame of reference for your comments.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    DoF and Guss2 like this.
  12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I’ve barely mentioned Queen. It just happens to be a Queen thread and the Queen remasters just happen to fit into the category of releases that have come under some degree of criticism.

Your comments come across as though you think are the arbitor of what is fair to criticize and if you like it - or don’t dislike it - it doesn’t warrant criticism. I’m arguing there is a lot of subpar work out there and much of it is probably deserving of the moderate to wide criticism it gets here.

Again, why do you think many releases don’t get panned, yet others do? For this to be happening, perhaps there is something else at play other than sinister conspiracies and rote negativism at work, no?

13. Talisman954

I think it’s a little of everything.
    Did it ever occur to you that some people might just be collectors that want this beautiful looking set?
    Did it occur to you that some, certainly not all were maybe expecting the world because they paid close to $400 for some vinyl.
    Also since I have certainly experienced my fair share of messed up vinyl that it could be people annoyed paying out good money, and getting some defective product in return.
    I don’t do the conspiracy stuff so don’t go down that road.
    But again giving fair opinions on sound quality, content and condition and value is not only wanted, but needed.
    I have got some of my best sounding vinyl based on advice from some of the knowledgeable folks on here, but equally I see way too much scare mongereing threads which end up being along the lines of, don’t buy this it’s the worst thing ever, that is the stuff that causes me frustration.
    If you want to take this as a personal attack then your barking up the wrong tree.

14. Talisman954

And I don’t disagree with any of that.
    What I’m talking about is the overly negative people that tell people not to buy stuff because it doesn’t quite meet the very high standard they have.
    Sharing opinions and giving tips and help is one thing, telling people something is worthless and the worst thing ever is quite another IMO.

15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

So we are talking specifically about the Queen set now?

You are moving the goalposts and still haven’t answered the basic question...if you believe much of the criticism here is over the top, unwarranted and bandwagoning, why do only certain releases get targeted while others escape largely unscathed?

16. Talisman954

I already answered you.
    I have a family to spend time with.
    I suggest you focus on something positive instead of trying to prove your right.

17. jon9091

When we’re talking about a $350 boxset, people want to hear all opinions and specifics before making a choice to buy it or not. My first instinct when someone says “it sounds awesome!” is to ask compared to what other pressings, and what are you playing it on? If someone is just happy to have the thing because they think the colored vinyl is neat, and that everyone should ignore any faults in the mastering and just enjoy the music, that’s all well and good for them, but that isn’t really what this particular site is all about, as I tried to show with some of Hoffman’s mission statements.

DoF, Sondek, cmi and 2 others like this.
  18. Talisman954

I already said that makes perfect sense.
    I’m all for reviews and arming myself with information prior to purchases.
    What I’m talking about are the posts on this site that tell people not to buy something, and over exaggerate.
    Giving a factual review is a great thing, telling collectors they shouldn’t buy something, or it’s the worst thing ever is not a review.

19. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

I own a couple of these remasters on vinyl. A friend has the box and some are definitely better than others. I, for one love the sound of "Night at The Opera". If I didn't already own all of mfavorites, I would grab this box. It does look beautiful.

20. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

I filled out my profile when I first joined the forum years ago. I've since upgraded a couple of items but never felt the need to revisit my profile. If I used a Close 'N Play and played it through Wharfdale speakers, how would anyone know what it sounded like unless they owned the same thing and had my 56 year old ears. Some of the crap I think about while I'm work. I really should get a life.:sigh:

wino14 likes this.
  21. jon9091

And that is precisely why I always inquire about what other pressings you compared it to when you came to your ultimate conclusion...whether it be positive or negative. At least if I have one of those pressings (or have heard it), that gives me another layer of reference.

808_state likes this.
  22. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

Sometimes I feel like Music Corner should be broken up into the subheadings "Music Appreciation" and "Critical Listening". I think that would eliminate situations like these and give better context to comments on releases as they are posted. We all have times when we are passionate and those when we are pragmatic.

Wired4Fun likes this.
  23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Critical listening, that sounds like no fun whatsoever.

Fishoutofwater, Shak Cohen and wino14 like this.
  24. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

So we can then have the debate about whether or not people in "Critical Listening" actually care about music at all, or people in "Music Appreciation" have cotton in their ears; good luck with that.

25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I think the better solution would be for those who think “music appreciation” and “critical listening” are mutually exclusive to start their own forums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.