Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody video (Remastered in 1080 50fps)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vahan, Feb 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Apologies if this has been posted before, but back in December 2015, Simon Christensen posted a remaster of this video which completely blows the cropped DVD version out of the water.

Such an awesome remaster. I wanna see Paul McCartney's videotaped videos from the late 70's/early 80's get a similar treatment.

joshm2286, townsend and hifisoup like this.
  2. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

Correct me if I'm wrong here. But in regards to McCartney's videos, if they are videotaped, then you can't do an HD re-master.

3. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Are you saying the Bohemian Rhapsody music video wasn't videotaped at all?

The uploader said this was remastered from Sikke's 2'' videotape.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  4. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I just bought the Eagle Rock DVD "Queen's greatest Video Hits Vol 1" PURELY for the DTS surround mixes. I turned off the TV and didn't even watch the videos, just enjoyed the music in 5.1 surround !

JimW likes this.
  5. SonOfAlerik

I believe a lot of older music video footage was shot on 35mm film. Then possibly edited on video tape. So if you go back to the original elements then you can get true HD. But if your original source is video tape from the 70's and 80s you aren't going to get HD. It may look much better. But it won't be HD.

6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I can’t even go back to watch the 70s or 80s music videos — they’re just so primitive

7. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Which is what we’ve got here. A nice looking up-rez of SD video. There’s plenty of processing power they can use to clean it up these days.

Drifter likes this.
  8. SonOfAlerik

I wish they would do it more for this kind of material. But it seems like the audience for this stuff is shrinking so they don't want to invest the time and money into it.

joshm2286, hifisoup and Pinknik like this.
  9. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

Hi-def or not this song is pure genius.

10. It doesn't look like it was shot to film at all, it looks like the typical tube video camera shot from the 70's and 80's and its weird looking colors. It's a great upscale 'though, look at Mercury's face while playing the piano,his skin has texture, pores are visible.

joshm2286 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.