Query: Best remastered CD of The Doors...original released version

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JGM, Jun 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JGM

JGM New Member Thread Starter

I have seen and read on here different discussions as to The Doors first album; discussing the different remixes and versions put out. I have liked The Doors for many years and had all their LP albums at one time. I want to buy what consensus considers the best remastered CD (domestic is okay but prefer import - Japanese or German), which has the original released version as to "Break on Through" (without the addition of "higher") and original version of "The End" without the pronounced F bombs. I just prefer the versions I grew up on as to these songs and also have found that some remasters are too thin or tinny. Would the 1999 remaster be my best choice?

2. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

The 1999 has the extra stuff flown in. Not for the purist.

Best sounding mastering is the DCC CD. Worth every penny. I did not like the stereo mix until I heard the DCC.

3. DirkGentlyUK

DirkGentlyUK Forum Resident

DCC is the one for sure.

George P likes this.
  4. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Another vote for the DCC.

5. JGM

Thanks for the opinions. I thought I read here in a prior discussion that only the 1999 "cube" (The Complete Studio Recordings) version of the first album had the "flown in parts" added. Are there no import remastered versions of the first album, which were released in the original version of presentation?

6. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

"Imported" and "remastered" seem like odd criteria to prioritize. Why not just best sounding?

And welcome to the forum :wave:

DirkGentlyUK likes this.
  7. JGM

I had the LP album at one time. I also had the 1988 version of the domestic CD. I thought the original released CD (1988) was somewhat muddy. I usually buy Japanese imports of CD's and Blu-Spec ones when I can. I am just trying to uncover opinions as to the first album and am certainly interested in the best sound, without hopefully flatting my wallet.

8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Welcome to the forum.

I like the sound of the 1999 CD but it has the bits added to it. When I first got it I liked that but now I want the album as I always knew it. Sadly every easily available CD I've heard of the original version sounds poor, as does the Alsdorf - German pressed 80s vinyl that I had before I had a CD player.

Does anybody know if the currently available Rhino (I think) vinyl sounds good and is the original mix?

9. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

The 3 disc set I received this week, released earlier this year is excellent. The mono CD is better than the stereo cd, IMHO> more direct, and untampered with. Very pristine sound...And the CD3 is also good....so many times when additions are made, demos, live, out takes, it is filler or junk. The live at the maxtrix san fran show is worth having, and hearing over and over. Not filler for the masses. this set is worth the money. All the DCC"S are good also.

Man at C&A likes this.
  10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Sounds good...

11. JGM

Does the mono version CD and the stereo version CD have the original released versions of "Break on Through" and "The End" or do they have the newer versions of the songs, so to speak?

12. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Forum Resident

The DCC is generally regarded as the best digital mastering, but I really like my original German CD from around '85.

anastasios likes this.
  13. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

Hadn't thought to even check that out. Didn't notice. When we get time, we'll check into that.

14. jackinbox

jackinbox Forum Resident

No, the 50th Anniversary edition only has the original "censored" versions of both songs.

JGM likes this.
  15. jackinbox

jackinbox Forum Resident

I do love the mono mix and it is better in theory. The only problem is that there is some distortion that gets pretty distracting at times. It's been there on every needledrop I've had as well as this CD set. I will say it's not as noticeable on the CD as the vinyl.

Mike Campbell likes this.
  16. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

How does the remastered 50th Anniversary of the stereo cd of the debut sound?
    Amazon has it for $5.99.
    From what I read, the she gets high, and F Bombs are not present, which is a plus for me since I really never cared for those redux versions.

Reviews vary on AMMY, but I trust the "ears" much more here.

It it worth taking the plunge?

17. JGM

Yeah, I wrote a review on Amazon as to the original released versions of the two songs being on the 50th Anniversary edition, after I bought the new remastered CD (after someone on here assured me the original versions were in fact on there, which are the versions I wanted). I also noticed it has sound roll-off and less compression compared to the 40th Anniversary version of the CD.

18. Tim Bexter

Tim Bexter Well-Known Member

sound roll off? what's that meaning?

19. JGM

Yes, reading it back now Tim, I could have been more clear. What I meant was, on the same equipment I played both versions: the newer re-master (50th) had better balance; the instruments and vocals were in better proportion; it did not have the dynamic range compression of the former; not the same changes in bass and treble I had noted in the 40th anniversary re-master; but, I know different equipment can affect the sound and range extension. To put it simply, I noticed less compression compared to the 40th Anniversary version of the CD. And the vocals on the 50th were not as loud and jarring, which in the 40th anniversary edition is a detriment of the instruments.

20. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

It’s worth noting that the 40th anniversary edition is a full remix.

21. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

The new one can be found at Walmart for $5 and sounds fine. The dcc is best but pricey

22. JGM

I forgot the 40th was a full re-mix, not just re-master, thanks Laservampire. I see the 50th anniversary of "Strange Days" is coming out next month, so I guess a comparison of it with the 4oth will be in order.

23. Tim Bexter

Tim Bexter Well-Known Member

Was 50th Remaster mastered not original master tape but tape copy? i think it has less clarity and stereo seperation comparing with 99 remaster.

24. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

This is the one I have and it works for me. Walmart bought for $5.00.

25. wileycoyote

wileycoyote Forum Resident

50th Anniversary sounds great, but my go to is the AP SACD. DCC is overpriced IMO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.