Question about John Lennon Anthology 4 CD set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dan Steely, Aug 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan Steely

Dan Steely Hit Me! Thread Starter

Is there anything on this set in its original mix? Or is everything either remixed or never released before?

2. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

The only officially released recordings that come to mind are God Save Oz and Do The Oz, which were released on an Apple single in 1971:

[​IMG]

Lost In The Flood and Dan Steely like this.
  3. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

There are no officially released Lennon tracks on it remixed or otherwise. The box consists of outtakes and demos arranged chronologically and beautifully put together. If you are a Lennon fan, this set is a required theorem.

4. teag

teag Forum Resident

Sound quality on this set is really good. The studio out takes are a must hear. Many are better than the released tracks, IMO.

5. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

Agree.

marklamb and DK Pete like this.
  6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Agreed. I was a new fan when I bought it and I loved every minute of it.

marklamb and Carlox like this.
  7. Dan Steely

Dan Steely Hit Me! Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, guys!:edthumbs:

8. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

So, which is it? Is the version of God Save Us and the b side the same as on the box set, or are there differences, and if so, what?

To my ears, on a brief listen, I thought they were different.

9. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Well, not always...

The "Lennon Anthology" set has John's original guide vocal on "God Save Us", while the 1971 single featured future Splinter member Bill Elliott on vocals. That version can be found on the "Come And Get It: The Best Of Apple Records" 2010 compilation.

10. NumberEight

Well, I certainly got that one wrong, didn’t I? I always thought they were the same, but now I know. Apologies for confusing you!

cmcintyre likes this.
  11. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

Thanks for the clarity about the A side. How about the B side "Do the Oz"? Where can one find the single version of that - any ideas?

It's OK - quickly sorted and now everyone can be clear.

NumberEight likes this.
  12. Calico

Calico Senior Member

The original version (and mix) of "Do The Oz" is in the "Lennon Anthology" box set.
    The John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band remixed album from 2000 contained, as a bonus, a radically remixed - or maybe I should say unmixed - version of "Do The Oz" which, now devoid of that terrible echo the original version was drenched in, makes the song a bit more listenable.

cmcintyre likes this.
  13. NumberEight

Hmm. The Lennon Anthology sleeve notes - which I've finally pulled out - state that the version of God Save Oz has "John's guide vocal on the 8-track master, for Bill Elliott", while Do The Oz is "the original master 2-track mix of the UK single, 1971".

Hopefully that should settle it...

14. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Isn't that what I said, even if worded differently?

BeatlesBop likes this.
  15. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

If you ignore the digital distortion on many of the lead vocals.

16. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

Yes, it is. NumberEight's response (it's confirmed in the notes for the box) cements your comment by saying the box itself agrees with you.

In the light that the first response to the OP's question said nothing in the box had previously been released ("remixed or otherwise"), I think having an official confirmation is a good thing. Otherwise it might be construed as different thoughts and "who knows who" is correct.

Calico and NumberEight like this.
  17. NumberEight

Yes. :)

Calico likes this.
  18. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

19. A Local Bloke

A Local Bloke Forum President

What about the live tracks? Wikipedia says that when he mixed the two shows for the STINYC LP he also mixed the Sinclair and Apollo shows for possible eventual release. Are the performances from those shows on the box in those original mixes (And the soundtrack version of one of the Sinclair songs for that matter)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.