Question about Michell record clamp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by maj2505, Mar 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

I see a lot of earlier posts about a felt washer. When I purchased a Mitchell clamp a couple of years ago (black delrin with alu knob), it didn't come with this washer. Is anyone able to post a picture or dimensions of the felt please?

2. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

I'll measure it for you once mine arrives.

3. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

4. thommo

thommo Senior Member

I know that some people with non-recessed centres (or who don't like to push down too hard) have substituted in a smaller "o" ring(2mm?) instead of the felt washer.
    If you don't have a washer, that might work for you.

Triceratops and ThorensSme like this.
  5. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

Felt Washer:
    Outer diameter: 23 mm
    Inner diameter: 6.5 mm
    Thickness (uncompressed): 3.5 mm

Hope it helps.

bigredheadone likes this.
  6. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

Thanks !

7. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Anyone using the Michell clamp on a threaded spindle? I have a Music Hall mmf-7.1 and the included screw on clamp does not work with the mat I use as it is a thicker mat 4.0mm from Herbies.
    The MH clamp is not flat so it does not engage the threads, the Michell looks to be flat underneath........Is there a pic showing the underneath of the Michell someone has?
    Thanks

8. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

There you go just done it for you.
    Also showing the threaded spindle on the Orbe, they make a disc out of the same material for very thin records, I have not used it in years, on any record.
    [​IMG]

9. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

You might try Uk sites like eBay uk. Or maybe Michell. Turntable World ?. It tends to be around £26 here.

10. Catcher10

Outstanding...Thanks! How far up the collet does the spindle need to go to engage the clamping action? I have about 7-8mm of spindle above record showing.

11. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

I am only talking about the Orbe with threaded spindle, about half the spindle, but for unthreaded this could be different, just know it works .

12. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

That's more than enough. I only have about 7 or 8mm of spindle showing above the bare mat itself. That's without the washer and record. I've never had any problems clamping thick records.

13. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I have a Sota Reflex Clamp and the same kind of principles apply. They provide a rubber washer that only works on thinner records. I'd try cutting your felt disk to a smaller diameter or go buy something at a local hardware or fabric store. Some trial and error may be needed, in fact you might want to have a few different sixes of disks for different record thickness. One size doesn't always fit all.

Triceratops likes this.
  14. Catcher10

Thanks!

15. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Does the Michell clamp washer system work with a Technics rubber mat, which is recessed around the spindle ?

DJ Jaz likes this.
  16. Triceratops

Triceratops Well-Known Member

I got Michell's Rega clamp, for use on my 2016 P3. For the Rega version of the clamp, Michell doesn't include the felt washer. They claim it works without it (and I'm guessing the washer would also raise the record too high on the P3's short spindle). But when used on any record that has an obvious warp -- i.e. the only records I'd bother using a clamp on in the first place -- it really doesn't seem to do much. I feel like it would be more effective with the washer. But the only way I could use the standard Michell clamp (w/ said washer), is to get a new subplatter with a lengthened spindle, which I'd obviously prefer not to do. Is there some secret to using the Michell Rega clamp that I'm missing?

17. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

To be honest, washer or no, the clamp does little to most warps and nothing at all to some.

Triceratops likes this.
  18. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

For my sota reflex, I bought a very small rubber washer and it handles a majority of my records perfectly fine. The one that came with the device wouldn't allow ticker records to lay flush on the platter. I would do some testing with various washers, sizes and thickness...it paid off for me.

19. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Instead of the felt washer supplied with the Michell clamp, I like to use an O-ring (size #109). This works very well with the Gyro. I don't know if this would work the Rega and others though.

Triceratops and bigredheadone like this.
  20. bigredheadone

bigredheadone Well-Known Member

Hello,
    Just purchased a J.A. Michell clamp on EBay without the felt washer. Can anyone please measure theirs and post the inside and outside dimensions and include the thickness of the washer so I may try to replicate it? Most appreciated.

21. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

See post #30 above.

bigredheadone likes this.
  22. bigredheadone

Thank you very much. Going to have to give the #109 o-ring a try as well.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    33na3rd likes this.
  23. bigredheadone

When using a washer, maybe you could try one that is 1/16” thick instead of 1/8”. That may give you the a little more spindle to grab on to.

Triceratops likes this.
  24. Jonathan Wallick

Jonathan Wallick Well-Known Member

I know I’m several months late to the party on this thread, but I can confirm that a 1/16” rubber washer that I got from Ace Hardware works well with the “Rega” version of the Michell clamp. I’ve been using on my new Rega P6 turntable for a couple of months with the rubber washer, and it definitely allows warped records to lay flat on the platter.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  25. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I find it funny that the Rega Planar 3 owner is resistant to upgrading the subplatter. To me, that is the biggest shortcoming of an otherwise fine deck. A metal subplatter is much better than the phenolic stock subplatter. And they generally don't taper the spindle and use the standard height. A grovetracer may be a bit pricey. But there are less expensive alternatives like the tangospinner or the deepgroove I ended up getting. The old aluminum Michell works fine on the deepgroove subplatter spindle. This isn't the "Rega" version as I don't even think there is one with the older design. I've had the clamp before I switch to Rega decks.

Triceratops likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.