Question about the Dynamic Range Database

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SKATTERBRANE, May 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am looking at My Morning Jacket Evil Urges as an example, though there are many others I could've used. The album DR is 2 and yet the minimum DR track is 6 and the maximum DR track is 8. I do not understand this, I would expect the album DR to be either 6 (for minimum) 8 (for maximum) or 7 (for average).

Is this database put in by people's own results or do they upload the album for the site to analyze? If it is left to human error including input error then it makes sense how this could be and also how the same album, the same version can have different values.

2. SKATTERBRANE

I see quite a few that seem to make sense with album being 8, minimum being 6 and maximum being 11 and the like.

3. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Yeah that's definintely something has gone wrong, wonder if the person that uploaded it changed something in the log by accident. The average can never be less than the MINIMUM column. If you have the version and you can upload the correct log, I'd just delete that one.

c-eling and SinnerSaint like this.
  4. SKATTERBRANE

That is what I thought. If you go to the site and arrange them from lowest to highest DR, you will find quite a few with the album DR lower than the lowest track DR. So, it would seem, this error is not uncommon.

5. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I wonder if they all have the same version of the utility and maybe it's a bug in that version? I've looked through several and none of them appear to be Foobar with plugin. Looks like it's where the DR is incorrectly calculated as a negative, I wonder if it's to do with the length not being enough to properly sample in one version.

For example, James Horner - Album details - Dynamic Range Database

See these tracks registering a minus result?

DR-73 -2.75 dB -19.88 dB 19 Alan Howarth - Drone Chatter #1 [Sound Fx].wav
    DR-72 -2.76 dB -21.03 dB 20 Alan Howarth - Drone Chatter #2 [Sound Fx].wav
    DR-72 -2.37 dB -21.20 dB 21 Alan Howarth - Drone Chatter #3 [Sound Fx].wav

There's at least one of these happening in each example I'm looking at where the log file is present, but it doesn't show up in the individual track display. Your Morning Jacket doesn't have the log posted, so we can't tell if that's the case.

But:

Album details - Dynamic Range Database

DR-71 -16.54 dB -28.97 dB 09 io echo - Ministry of Love - Addicted.mp3

Album details - Dynamic Range Database

DR-79 -0.30 dB -21.12 dB 0:06 03 - You Suffer [flac]

Seems pretty consistent.

BeatlesBop likes this.
  6. SKATTERBRANE

Yeah, a negative DR causes your eardrums to be sucked out of your head.

7. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Hence the user name? :laugh:

lance b likes this.
  8. sa5150

sa5150 Forum Resident

The data base has been changed , a lot of the listing are displayed like this ... R Peak RMS Filename -----DR9 -0.10 dB -11.19 dB 01 Don't Stop Believin'.wav DR9 -0.10 dB -11.15 dB 02 Stone In Love.wav DR10 -0.10 dB -12.68 dB 03 Who's Crying Now.wav DR8 -0.10 dB -9.84 dB 04 Keep On Runnin'.wav DR10 -0.10 dB -11.91 dB 05 Still They Ride.wav DR9 -0.10 dB -10.47 dB 06 Escape.wav DR9 -0.10 dB -10.07 dB 07 Lay It Down.wav DR11 over -12.04 dB 08 Dead Or Alive.wav DR9 -0.10 dB -11.90 dB 09 Mother, Father.wav DR11 -0.10 . kinda hard to read compared to the original up/down results .

DR11 0.00 dB -13.02 dB 4:11 01-Don't Stop Believin'
    DR12 -0.01 dB -13.68 dB 4:26 02-Stone In Love
    DR10 -0.43 dB -13.65 dB 5:01 03-Who's Crying Now
    DR11 0.00 dB -12.44 dB 3:40 04-Keep On Runnin'
    DR11 -0.04 dB -13.35 dB 3:50 05-Still They Ride

why did they do it like that ?

9. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Probably easier to just download FooBar and do ur own dynamic range tests than trust the database.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.