Question about You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RickH, Sep 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. william shears

william shears Senior Member

I always thought that end bit was John saying (in his best Colonel Blimp wasted on brandy) voice "The man's mad doncha know, hrumph herr!".. Lord knows what he says at the end of 'I'm so Tired' ?
    William

2. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

Like I said for over 30 years I thought it was obviously John all the way, But recently I 've really started to listen closely and really think it's a distinct possiblilty of Paul almost imitating the way John would sing those lines"Sea of Green, etc." in his Scouse accent!

Big Mac pulled off a dead on Lennon imitation a few years later in "Let Me Roll it"

3. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

Ok but just listen to some of Pauls giberish during the end of MonkBerry Moon Delight or CMOON!

4. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

"constipated ....oooooooooh yeahs?"

I thought that was Paul (hilariously) parodying a horrendously out of tune, swarmy Lounge Lizard - much like Bill Murray did years later on SNL with his Nick?

5. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I have many times, it's good, but John's voices can still make me laugh, Paul's wear off.

6. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Huh?

7. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

Big Mac pulled off a dead Lennon imitation a few years later in "Let Me Roll it"

hmm dead lennon Imitation.................. ;)

8. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

No I said "Dead On"- as in exact. John was very much alive during the time '71-'74 of the "How Do You Sleep/ Let Me Roll/Cover of Ram/Copy Pix of John with Pig instead of RAM (Big Boys?) bickering exchanges between Lennon and Mac

9. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

I knew what you mean't ! but i could not resist the urge to fool around !

10. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

Good one! Just wanted to clarify that and make sure I hadn't left out the word "on"

11. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

yeah i deleted "ON" for my post! :D

12. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

Nooo!!! It's John! Maybe Pauls starts it, but after the first sylable you just hear John. Probably Paul continues to sing along with him, and probably he started to sing it, but what you hear is basically John.

13. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

For All we know it could George Harrison, George Martin or Mal Evans !

14. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I agree. That's the funniest part of the whole record!!

15. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

You are correct, the lead singer of the Honeycombs was Dennis D'ell, not O'Dell. He died of cancer on July 6th, 2005. :sigh: R.I.P. Dennis D'ell.

16. Dave D

Dave D Done!

While John is doing the "lounge lizard routine".....Paul fades in with these "oooooo yeah"...very staccato like ...and sounds like he's taking a huge dump.....take a listen...he does it about 4 times.

17. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

Don't think, that George Harrison, George Martin or Mal Evans had an open mike when they recorded the lead vocals for AYNIL at that television show... Besides that, just listen to the voice.
    On the other hand it is quite interesting to see, that at times it is so hard to tell who is singing. John and Paul had very distinctive voices, but at times it seems impossible to say who sings what. Not on AYNIL though.

18. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

:agree: Paul prompts John with "She loves..." then you can hear John jump in and sing the rest. John's voice is louder.

19. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

Yeah I Know - that very dull voice too close to the mike is Paul - To me that was his take on the Lounge Lizard (After being introduced as Dennis O'Bell".

20. Dave D

Dave D Done!

This study of this song is getting too funny.....

21. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts Thread Starter

It always sounded like he said, "Danny's ole bell" to me.

22. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Back to Lewisohn....the entire, unedited performance of YKMN is 6:08. The single (mono only) was edited down to 4:19 for release, since Lennon created the original master by editing a mono tape. The Anthology version, 5:42 is from the original session tapes, is in stereo and was suppose to be issued unedited. For reasons known to him only, George Harrison demanded it be cut down. He mentioned back then that it was to self-indulgent. But the editing is sloppy and obvious. Note, some enterprising bootleggers have made a VERY nice edit of the Anthology and 45 mix to create the full 6:09 version...the edits between the stereo and mono sources are relatively seemless and MUCH better than what the Apple engineers prepared.

Surprisingly, George was actively involved in the project, he had the engineers edit Shout, for NO obvious reason, he refused to release Grannie Smith...(early version of Love You To), He voted against including Paul's demo of Goodbye, because it was never intended for them (why then was Come And Get It ok'd??), he wanted Within You, WithOut You on the disc, but not Martin's instrumental track...he reluctantly allowed it, he instigated a total remix of Only A Northern Song, saying the original was sabotaged by Paul's amateurish trumpet playing....haha some things never change with Beatles :), he provided the stereo tapes of the so-called Esher Tapes but insisted that some be edited, again, for no real reason, the songs are all relatively short.

John clearly says Dennis O'Bell, but he's referencing Denis O'Dell for sure. Remember, the vocals to YKMN were added in April 1969, O'Dell was an Apple employee at that time. Miss O'Dell is written for another Apple employee, Chris O'Dell. Ron

23. peerke

peerke Senior Member

Don't forget he vetoed also 'A Carnival Of Light'.

But, on the other hand, he OK'd Let It Be... Naked.
    Strange guy.

24. EditDave

EditDave New Member

From the moment I first heard the single "You Know My Name ...." it was clear to me that John's grunting and groaning during the jazz segment was an imitation of legendary jazz pianist Earl Garner. Garner, who was famous for the odd grunting sounds he made when he played, was still popular and performing in the 60s when the Beatles recording was made.

Garner died many years ago, and I guess with the passing of time the reference is lost.

25. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Both George's vetoed Carnival Of Light. Harrison had NOTHING to do with Let It Be...Naked. Mixing sessions began AFTER he passed away. Ron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.