question for owner of THE BYRDS 1990 box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by christopher, Dec 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic Thread Starter

have you/will you/are you going to spring for the new byrds box set?

later, chris

2. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Yes, I bought, but still not sure why.

3. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Best Buy's $29.99 price makes it pretty tempting, but, in a rare moment of clarity, I concuded that, between the '90 box and my reissues through Notorious, it was an unnecessary purchase. Lukewarm reviews of the DVD cinched it for me.

4. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I got it for a good price.

Good excuse?

5. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

I have the '90 box, all the remasters, the old records and the Sundazed mono LP's. I just can't justify another box set of previously released stuff. I'm covered as far as The Byrds are concerned. I'll never say never but it would have to be an amazing deal coupled with extra cash in my pocket, and a certain amount of impulsiveness to get me to pull the trigger on more Byrds music.

6. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Probably not.I have all the Byrds I want.

7. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

I got the box set in Dec. of 90 when it came out. I'm happy with it. I also got the mid-90's remasters of the first 5 lp's so I'm good there too. Maybe this would be a good set for one who never bought the orig. It seems like an update of sorts. I'm kind of done buying the same music over and over so I'll be keeping it and remember it's now OUT OF PRINT so if one sells it they may want it back and be not able to get it back...(?You never know...)

8. Great Deceiver

Great Deceiver Active Member

The new box had some mono single mixes that weren't on the old box like "Why"

9. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Same here (except I went one further and picked up Ballad Of Easy Rider). If I was made of money, it would be different.

10. stevef

stevef Senior Member

Yes, I bought it.
    I also own the 1990 Byrds box, which I love. This box contains some *exclusive* tracks, as well as the 1990 "reunion" material. I don't plan to part with it.
    Not sure exactly *why* I bought the new Byrds There Is A Season box, but I guess because it's because I'm a Byrds fan (or is that... Byrds lover?). I'm also curious as to the remastering, and any exclusive tracks. The DVD wasn't so much of a motivating factor, but it would have been nice to hear it contained much better content. In any case, Best Buy had it (5 discs) for $29.99. Who could refuse?!!
    I haven't had time to crack open the new box yet, but I'm looking forward to it soon.

Steve

11. The sound is much better on the new box.

12. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Yea, the DVD was not really a motivating factor, as it is only 10 clips, which seems rather miserly.

The new set does not include all the reunion tracks, nor did it attempt to collect the various solo album reunion tracks from McGuinn and Clark albums (One in a Hundred, She's the Kind of Girl). It just didn't complete anything, nor attempt to include all the significant re-mixes and rarities from the first box, but rather simply took another spin on a 4-disk set.

13. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Bought it, out of habit, I suppose. There's nothing particularly new and interesting on it, it's a bit of a rip off really. The DVD is a bit short and contains only lip-sinched TV appearances, there's better stuff out there. Quite liked the booklet though.

14. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam

Just saw The Byrds from 68 on Playboy After Dark doing "This Wheels On Fire" and one other song--seldom seen material, live to boot and in color. Why not license the two Ed Sullivan clips from Dec 65--again live and in color? Because I beleive it was easier and less expensive to get clearance---bottom line.

Ive seen McGuinns response about a new boxset--his take was the other one was OOP, the upgraded tech advances since early 90s, etc etc. I bought it but only because it was $29.99 at BB. At 49.99 i wouldnt have.

15. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

I STILL haven't seen a breakdown of the DVD....

16. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

I bet a lot of forum folks would argue that point!!!!:laugh:

17. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

These are the only tracks that are exclusive to the new box set:

1. The Jet Set - The Only Girl I Adore (Mono)
    2. The Beefeaters - Please Let Me Love You (Mono Single Version)
    3. The Beefeaters - Don't Be Long (Mono Single Version)
    4. Why (Mono Single Version)
    5. He Was A Friend Of Mine (Live) (Unreleased)
    6. Lady Friend (Mono Single Version)
    7. Old John Robertson (Mono Single Version)
    8. Child Of The Universe (Candy Soundtrack Version)
    9. You All Look Alike (Live) (Unreleased)
    10. Nashville West (Live) (Unreleased)
    11. Baby What You Want Me To Do (Live) (Unreleased)
    12. I Trust (Live) (Unreleased)
    13. Nothin' To It (From Earl Scruggs - His Family And Friends)
    14. Mr. Tambourine Man (Live) (Banjoman Soundtrack)
    15. Roll Over Beethoven (Live) (Banjoman Soundtrack)

18. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

The Beefeaters single is on Buried Treasure,from Collector's Choice.(Which may actually be OOP,it still pops up around here.)

19. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I've got the first five on vinyl, including a couple of monos and the first four remixed and remastered CD's. I would rather invest in some more of the individual CD's.

20. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

No, I have enough Byrds. I have the 1990 box set and the remasters of every album up through Sweetheart of the Rodeo. Plus the Sundazed two-lp Singles set and the 2-CD Preflyte set. If I am going to buy more Byrds it will be the new MFSL mono MTM CD.

21. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

Has anyone yet compiled the list of tracks on the 1990 box that do not appear on There Is A Season? I may burn those onto CD-R, keep TIAS and sell the other box.

22. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

I got my copy for free, but I probably would have broken down and gotten it even if I hadn't. The booklet is a huge improvement over the original--in fact, the box itself is way better than the 1990 version: remastering, number of tracks, selection, everything. If you already have the 1990 box, then it IS debatable as to whether you need this or not, but if you don't then I think it's pretty essential.

23. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Got it for my birthday. Keeping the old one, too.

24. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

Based on comparing the track lists, booklet details and listening to certain tracks, I'd say there are at least 36 tracks from the 1990 box that are not on the 2006 box. I listed them below. The notes for "It Won't Be Wrong" in the 1990 box say it was remixed. Does that mean remixed for that box? It sounds (to me) exactly like the version on the 2006 box, whose notes say the track is from a source other than the 1990 box (2006 liner notes say the track originally appeared on LP and single). Going by the liner notes, they seem to be different - going by the musical notes they seem the same. Anyway, in case there's someone who owns only the first box, this list might help you decide whether to keep it after you buy the second.

Spanish Harlem Incident
    Lay Down Your Weary Tune
    He Was A Friend Of Mine (studio)
    The Times They Are A-Changin' (stereo/different mix)
    Psychodrama City
    Hey Joe
    Truck Stop Girl
    Stanley's Song
    Just Like A Woman
    I Trust (studio)
    Green Apple Quick Step
    Lazy Waters
    White's Lightning
    Turn Turn Turn (Orbison Tibute)
    Mr. Tambourine Man (Orbison Tribute)
    He Was A Friend Of Mine (Nashville '90)
    From A Distance (Nashville '90)
    Love That Never Dies (Nashville '90)
    Roll Over Beethoven (Swedish radio)
    John Riley
    The Girl With No Name
    Lady Friend (stereo)
    Pretty Polly :)41 shorter, different version)
    Nothing Was Delivered
    This Wheel's On Fire :)44 longer, slower version)
    Nashville West (studio)
    Old Blue (studio)
    Bad Night At The Whiskey
    Mae Jean Goes To Hollywood
    Ballad Of Easy Rider (studio)
    Way Beyond The Sun
    Deportee
    She Don't Care About Time (w/count-in, harmonica solo)
    Turn! Turn! Turn! (stereo-ish remix)

25. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

the jet set and beefeaters tracks are available elsewhere, on Byrd Parts 1 and the Preflyte Sesstions though cant remember if theyre stereo or mono.
    i have an old compilation with a mono Lady Friend on - couldnt tell you which comp as i gave it to my mum years ago.
    Nothin' To It is on Byrd Parts 2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.