Question Re Vinyl Recording Using: Standalone Phono Stage > Mic Preamp > Soundcard

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rontokyo, Apr 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member Thread Starter

I've changed my vinyl recording setup to include a Lucid AD converter [between the mic pre and soundcard using the coax ins]. I'm using an MAudio DMP2 mic preamp and that's the source of my problem. Whereas I can adjust the gain, the resulting waveform I'm getting [on SF6] is squared off as though it's slamming up against an imaginary wall. [Same waveform at -50dB, -12dB or -3dB] As an aside, the DMP2 has both low and high impedance inputs--the waveform I've described is using the high impedance ins. Using the low impedance ins results in a horribly distorted WAV file. Another aside: I'm using a mic preamp because it's small size allows me to place it close to my TT and phono preamp.

2. GT40sc

GT40sc Senior Member

Taking a flying guess here...but I believe your are overdriving the input of the mic preamp.

Remember that the output of your phono pre is LINE level, not MIC level...set the switch on the mic pre to "Line In," and see if that helps. I am not familiar with the DMP-2 itself, but if it does not have a line-level input, you might be better off with just a hi-fi preamp instead.

(I have a few microphone preamps around, and I have used them on occasion for needle-drops, without any distortion problems.) Hope we can work this out...

best of luck,

3. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks, SC. I think you've nailed it as it does seem as though I'm overdriving the mic pre, hence the clipped waveforms. Unfortunately, the unit I'm using has only high impedance instrument ins [configured for guitars] and low impedience mic ins--no line level ins available. As you say, a hi-fi preamp makes more sense--but the size makes it a little inconvenient for me. But I guess I have no choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.