Questions RE: The United States Of America 1987 UK Edsel CD (ED CD 233) Joe Byrd

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Platterpus, Jul 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member Thread Starter

This has been bugging me for a while. I need some help with this.:help:

I'm a big fan of this album and have every CD version issued as well as the 1992 SMSP cassette. I have some questions for anyone who owns this particular CD version "The United States Of America" 1987 UK Edsel CD (ED CD 233)."

There is a discogs entry for this CD album that lists a counterfeit version as well, which is almost an exact reproduction of the original 1987 UK Edsel CD (ED CD 233) but there are some typos and other anomalies according to the listing. This is the counterfeit in question:

The United States Of America - The United States Of America

Now the official entry for this CD:

The United States Of America - The United States Of America

I bought my CD used about 5 years ago and need someone here who has this CD version to check their copy to see if it has a barcode on the back insert in the top left corner? My CD has the barcode but does not have any of the other anomalies like the typos on the CD face, the black inner side of the back insert, the paint covering the matrix info. So besides the barcode on my CD, everything else checks out alright and is the same as the official CD listing.

If anyone here has this CD "Edsel CD (ED CD 233)" and can check their copy to see if it has the barcode or matches any of these two listings, with or without the errors, please reply or if you want to remain anonymous just send me a PM. I'm just wondering if my copy is another counterfeit version or if it's the real deal.:confused:

Thanks.

Anthony

2. Platterpus

Bump, does anyone have this CD?

3. SquaRoots

SquaRoots The North Star Grassman

Hi Platterpus,

I have a copy of the Edsel issue. I think I bought it around the year 2000.
    I'm not sure if its actually one of the two versions you mentioned in your post. It looks like it has a combination of all the details mentioned on Discogs for those two issues.

My copy:
    - has a white inner side of back cover
    - back cover contains barcode top left back inlay
    - matrix is visible from upper CD side (not covered by paint)
    - has no typo on CD face for track 5, it reads: 5. I Won't Leave My Wooden Wife For You, Sugar
    - has 'Records' in round copyright notice text [additional s is printed]
    - has 'CBS Records are the exclusive licensees for the UK'. [so it doesn't have the two typos in this sentence: 'Recordings' instead of 'Records', and 'executive' instead of 'exclusive'

Another item that I've checked is the matrix info text string itself on my CD. It has the exact same text that is shown in both Discogs-entries you're referring to. I'm not an expert in this field, but I'd say that a counterfeited CD probably would not mimic the matrix info so precise that it would look exactly like an original. The two matrix pics of both Discogs-entries do look exactly the same to me. So I think either both entries have a pic of a counterfeit or both are legit.

Although my copy has a barcode (which seems to make it a counterfeit if I understand the Discogs comment correctly on this), my collector's instinct says I do have an original UK Edsel issue, although it was 'Made in France by MPO' :).

Hope this is helpful in any way.

Cheers, Sq.

Platterpus likes this.
  4. Platterpus

Hello Sq,

Thanks for checking your CD and replying to this thread. My CD is the same as yours. I'm wondering if real early issues had no barcode and then later they were printed with barcodes for purposes of importing to the US? All my CDs on Edsel/Demon etc. have barcodes. Major labels like Polygram packaged their CDs in blister packs. I'm not sure how Edsel did this. Did Edsel use longboxes for their CDs at any time or some other packaging method? I was always under the assumption that UK and European CDs were not even sealed when displayed on their racks at their music stores. I have seen some Edsel CDs listed in Discogs that have no barcode so I'm guessing that it was just a later change from no barcode to using them later on.

Plus my inserts have a slight yellowing where the holes on the jewel case are located due to age. And there is nothing else that makes me think that my CD is a fake but it's always good to check here. I have other old CDs that have this same yellowing. Plus the print is nice but it looks like the way it was for that period of when CDs were pressed as in sort of dull looking. That darkened artwork on the counterfeit CD looks like it's from a cheap scanner. Thanks again for your help.:thumbsup:

Anthony

5. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

Some Edsels have been repressed/reissued later. I have two represses from Gene Clark - Roadmaster and The Flying Burrito Brothers - The Gilded Palace Of Sin. They have the barcodes etcetera.

Platterpus likes this.
  6. Platterpus

Thanks for the info.

7. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

As an interesting aside-I was on the street in the East Village one day back in 1978 selling my records and this was one of them. A guy walked by, saw it and said "I produced that album". I told him I always liked it though I thought the singer tried too hard to sound like Grace Slick. He said (I'm paraphrasing), "yes, I gave Dorothy all of the Jefferson Airplane albums released at the time and told her to go home and study the vocals closely ".

8. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

To add to this the back of the CD picture of the Gene Clark is clearly not as sharp as the original EDSEL issue. I never ever thought these were counterfeits though.

9. SquaRoots

SquaRoots The North Star Grassman

That's right.
    In Europe, including the UK, there never was any blister packaging nor longboxes for CD's.
    And they were always unsealed until the 2000's.

10. Platterpus

I didn't want to start a new thread so I am posting this in my existing somewhat related thread for this band. I noticed a video on Sundazed's Facebook page about their upcoming RSD releases. I was quite surprised to see that The United States Of America album is getting a mono LP only limited reissue on clear vinyl. I just may have to pick this one up since I love this album and have wanted the rare mono mix since I first heard about it:

Dudley Morris and Mazzy like this.
  11. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Is this mix are unique and not folddown?

12. hallucalation

I'm sure someone got recent RSD Mono edition of this album - reviews, please! Fold down, sound quality? Most of Sundazed vinyl sounds dull to me, i hope it's not case with this one.

13. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

This is what I posted on another thread:

"The sound? Mostly good, but the electric violin is unbearably screechy on a track or two. The vinyl? Good, but on my copy unfortunately some surface noise heard on the very quiet "Cloud Song". The mixes? Not yet sure how I feel about all of them, but some are quite nice. Dedicated mono? Sounds like it could be, but I don't know. Source? Haven't the slightest, but doesn't sound obviously digital or needle drop. The music? Awesome!"

I listened to Side One again last night and I must say much of it is bright and harsh.

14. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Their first album is a mind blower! IMO just amazing stuff have a 1a 360 pressing and the sundazed....prefer the 1a> wish it was in better condition.

sean

15. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Their ONLY album.

16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

According to our host in other threads, all the Columbia monos were dedicated mixes.

I'd be more worried, in light of recent releases, that Sundazed using an actual mono master, and not some manufactured fake "mono" (see Captain Beefheart release).

17. hallucalation

How about later Byrds albums which was issued in mono in 68-69? They are all folds

18. hallucalation

In case of USA album it was only promotional copy in very limited edition. I don't trust in this cases to Sundazed anymore

19. psychtrailmix

psychtrailmix Forum Resident

I've recently acquired the Edsel Records cd release of this from 1987, all I had was the Sundazed cd reissue for years, but I think this Edsel release takes the case for the best sounding release of this album!

Platterpus likes this.
  20. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I thought there was a later separate collection of outtakes and demos or something, although I never had it and could be hallucinating. Really important early electronic rock hybrid.

Dorothy Moskowitz went on to work with Country Joe, people might be interested in checking that out.

21. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Joe Byrd & the Field Hippies album was a sort of follow up - first side is great, second side not so great.

rockclassics and beccabear67 like this.
  22. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Waiting to die....waiting to.die.....waiting to die

;)

johnwilliamhunte likes this.
  23. Platterpus

To me it seems like the 1987 Edsel CD is the most organic sounding of all the USA CDs which there are five of them to date. Less polished sounding and not as loud as the other four CD versions. I like em all but the difference is noticeable and is good to hear and have the 1987 version especially for USA enthusiasts. They all sound good but personal preference may sway a person to one version over another. IIRC the 1997 Edsel CD reissue is the loudest version but still listenable.

psychtrailmix likes this.
  24. psychtrailmix

psychtrailmix Forum Resident

Right. I've got the 1987 cd. I just got it this past Friday and it was a real treat to listen to this beloved album and in a way, experience it again with this disc.

Platterpus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.