R.E.M. DVD-Audio-worth it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by head_unit, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

I see they have a number of titles out and am debating whether to get them. I would NOT do so for improved stereo sound as I don't listen to these titles so often.

So I'm wondering how the multichannel layers are. Nice? Exaggerated? Do they really add to the recordings, or not particularly? Will I feel they add to the music, becoming a new experience as it were?

2. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

IMO the surround kinda blows.
    The stereo layer is better than the common cd.

3. LMonaco

LMonaco Forum Resident

I find them very good. Elliot Scheiner produced/created most if not all the surround mixes. He may not fit everyone's taste but I guarantee you that I'm not the only one that thinks he's the best at it. See BecK Sea Change (sacd + dvda), Doobie Bros, Queen NATO + ... dvda

4. winopener

winopener Forum Resident

Two words: get them.

5. chriss71

chriss71 Active Member

I have the Out of Time and the Automatic for the People with no regrets.

6. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

I have all of them and think the 5.1 mixes are well done.
    I am sure they are not making any more so grab them if you can..

7. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I can't even play the DVD-A content, but I like these reissues for the liner notes and DVD "making of the album" documentaries. I hope to get a 5.1 system someday so that I can listen to the surround mixes.

8. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I only have "Automatic for the People" and I like the surround mix of that one.

9. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

It's not to overpriced as others and it's not bad at all. A REM fan and a surround fan will enjoy it.

10. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

Ditto. :righton:

Later, Chris

11. louisville

louisville Peel Slowly and See

I really enjoy the surround mix on all of these. They are out-of-print, so grab the ones you want quickly.

12. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Agreed!

13. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Uniformly excellent surround mixes and great sound too.

14. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

I have 'The Best Of R.E.M.' DVD-A featuring 24/192 stereo tracks and to my surprise the spectrum for quite a few of them shows nada above 24kHz. What a waste!

15. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

When R.E.M. started recording digitally, I think they used 24 bit 48kHz, so that is the best you will ever do on, for instance, tracks from "Automatic for the People". To my ears, the bit depth is more important than the sample rate, so it is not a total waste. For compilations, they go with a highest common denominator approach, but I believe the DVD-As of the individual albums are encoded at their native bit rates.

Regards,

IronWaffle likes this.
  16. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

If you're even thinking about getting the DVD-Audio discs, you'd better do it quickly 'cause I guarantee they'll be out of print very soon. I'm surprised they're still in print, actually.

And the surround layer for the R.E.M. material is excellent.

17. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

The surround mix actually sucks, I do not like them. These are my least favorite of all of my surround sound discs.

18. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Only 6 tracks out of 18 on the 'Best Of' DVD-A compilation have something above 24KHz in the spectrum, and none has anything above 48KHz. They could have easily used 24/96 and not bother with 24/192 IMO. Instead they should have spent some time trying to avoid dynamics compression ;) Oh well...

19. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Out of the 300 or so surround sound discs I have, the REM DVD-Audio discs feature the worse surround mix that I have heard. If the OP is interested in surround sound, stay away from these discs.

20. ProfBoz

ProfBoz Forum Resident

Well, just to keep the balance in favor of these, I'd say yes, get them for the surround mixes. I have the whole set, from "Document" up through "Around the Sun," and the 5.1 mixes are just fantastic. I'm not talking about technical issues like bit rate and all that jazz: I'm talking about the instrumentation and the arranging. Scott Litt, who produced most of those records--all but the last 3, which are the weakest 3 albums in the R.E.M. catalog--produced these records with meticulous subtlety, and you hear all this in 5.1.

IronWaffle likes this.
  21. mjthomas001

mjthomas001 Forum Resident

Well put.
    I totally agree! These are fun to listen to and they sound great!

22. I think 'Around The Sun' should only be listened to in 5.1, not stereo.
    It's that dramatic and improvement.

23. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I actually think the 5.1 mixes of Up, Reveal, and Around the Sun are more creative than those for the earlier albums, although I like them all.

24. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

Scheiner and Steve Wilson are the best IMO. The REM's are worth having. I have them all.

25. LennonCobain

LennonCobain Forum Resident

+1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.