R.E.M. vs. the Replacements

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ted Dinard, Nov 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ted Dinard

Ted Dinard Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know this type of thread is frowned on, and I don't wish to generate any ill will. I hope people explain their preferences without trashing the other band. Many people like both, but each band has passionate fans, and their passions reveal what they value about 1980s indie music, guitar bands, and rock and roll generally.

The bands are comparable as (arguably) the two most important American indie rock bands of the 1980s before the Pixies and then grunge got going. Both bands are highly respected and loved. They toured and even recorded (a little) together, and liked each other, more or less.

R.E.M. had a long career with many great, beloved albums. Their songs are densely textured and poetic with haunting melodies, and they managed to stay true to their style and themselves as they made the transition from a great indie label to a major one.

On the other hand, the Replacements were a bunch of irresponsible drunks who burned out after 7 (and a half) records, who excelled at not giving a spud and whose great theme was what losers they were and how it wasn't worth being much more.

Needless to say, I prefer the Replacements. But I also enjoy a good R.E.M. tune--they're my wife's favorite band. Maybe this thread is about my marriage.

2. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Having seen The Replacements several times (and each of them awesome, tight and professional) I'd say their reputation is more a myth than a reality, especially over the last few albums.

Yeah, some drunken shows, most of which was before anyone knew who they were...

While I appreciate REM's ethos and DIY-on-a-major label approach, I lost interest around the time of Green and never quite got back.

monkees paw likes this.
  3. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

In the thread about naming a rock artist who is your soul mate, I picked Paul Westerberg because I could relate as far as things he loved and hated. So there's your answer. :)

majorlance, Blender and strummer101 like this.
  4. R.E.M. by a country mile. My wife and all 3 of my daughters are much bigger R.E.M. fans than I am.

rebellovw and heatherly like this.
  5. I have been assembling a massive 80s playlist(it's at 18 days and counting). It really becomes apparent after 1984 how head and shoulders above the fray both these bands were, and how both were distinctly American in their straightforward unadorned style.

quakerparrot67 likes this.
  6. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

7. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

REM great music. Murmur is one of my favorite albums. Song for song the best album either band ever did.

Which is my favorite band? Taken as a whole it's got to be The Replacements.

Why? Because Paul wrote this...

In my waxed up hair and my painted shoes
    Got an offer that you might refuse
    Tonight, tonight, we're gonna take a stab
    Come on along, we'll grab a cab
    We ain't much to look at so
    Close your eyes, here we go
    We're playin' at the talent show
    Playin' at the talent show
    Come on along, here we go
    Check us out, here we go
    Well we got our guitars and we got thumb picks
    And we go on after some lip-synch chicks
    We're feelin' good from the pills we took
    Oh, baby, don't gimme that look
    We ain't much to look at so
    Close your eyes, here we go
    We're playin' at the talent show
    Come on along, here we go
    Hop a ride, here we go

j4yheindeo likes this.
  8. Radio KTmS

Radio KTmS i am a dj, i am what i play

rem then,
    replacements now.

9. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Neither. But since I own no Replacements CD's and I have a couple of greatest hits packages from REM, it's REM by default.

That being said, I'd vote REM anyway just because they were the band that put college radio/alternative music on the radar.

10. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

REM, though I love All Shook Down. When It Began, Merry Go Round and Sadly Beautiful are great songs.

11. Ted Dinard

Ted Dinard Forum Resident Thread Starter

I like the way this thread can be about respecting the achievement of both bands.

npc210, 24voltsdc, ARK and 2 others like this.
  12. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

i never understood the hype the Replacements got in this forum
    they were good for sure but like many , many other US bands at the same time

Laibach, Jim B. and Fullbug like this.
  13. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

Replacement, easily.

McRich likes this.
  14. Why vs. ? Are they Sports teams? :tiphat:

sami, ARK, rxcory and 2 others like this.
  15. clayton

clayton Senior Member

Replacements for me. I saw them with REM outdoors in St. Paul MN. on Navy Island, great show and both bands were great.

16. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

No idea. I enjoy the best albums by both

17. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Overall I listen to The Replacements more than REM so I guess it's the former.

18. ronton99

ronton99 Forum Resident

It has to be The Replacements.
    REM were intermittently interesting and entertaining, but The Replacements grabbed me by the heart and balls.
    Paul's songwriting was so relatable.

Interestingly, I discovered The Replacements when REM had them on the bill at a club show after Murmur came out and the noisy, snotty Replacements, whom I had never heard of, won me over that night.
    It's just no contest.

19. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

The Replacements.

R.E.M. did some great stuff, but the Replacements were one of the best bands that ever existed and Westerberg is a genius songwriter.

20. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

Stipe may seem like the sensitive type but the fact that he’s left-handed would be an advantage vs. Westerberg, especially if the latter is drunk. Which he would be if this is a fight in the '80s. Buck vs. Bob Stinson is tougher. I’d rather have heavyweight Buck but that wouldn’t be fair as Bob is quite dead by that point. I could easily see them knocking each other out. Don’t let his baby Bill Gates face fool ya, Mills fights dirty. Easy win there. And Berry’s monobrow is so intimidating I doubt Mars even shows up. So a 3-0-1 win for R.E.M.

21. Wow tough one as both bands are unquestionably 2 of my top 10 favourite bands of all time... Hell, maybe even top 5.

If you compare the 2, R.E.M. were undeniably the more consitently great band over the years but I'd argue The Replacements' highs were just a little bit higher and therefore, I voted for The Replacements. Mind you, there lows were lower too but alas they still got my vote.

22. Nick Drake fan

Nick Drake fan Forum Resident

The Replacements.

I love R.E.M from MURMER through Automatic For The People. That was a great run. But after that, R.E.M. was terrible. Those post-AFTP albums were a waste of time. Ruined their legacy imo. And as a live band, R.E.M. were pretty good as a club-level band but gawd-awful as an arena/stadium band. Probably the worst arena live band I ever saw.

The Replacements always tugged at my heartstrings in a big way. Westerberg opens his veins when he writes. I still listen to The 'Mats and Westerberg solo. R.E.M. not so much.

23. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I never heard a single Replacements song in the 80's, living in both Europe and Texas. Heard a TON of R.E.M.

The only Replacements song I'm even familiar with now is the one (only one?) that gets played on Sirius, "I'll Be You". Not a bad song, but not enough to make me think I'd like them better than R.E.M.

24. Nick Drake fan

Nick Drake fan Forum Resident

And The 'Mats three album run of 1) Let It Be 2) Tim 3) Pleased To Meet Me is probably my favorite three album run of the 80's.

25. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

R.E.M. and it's not even close - I think they're unquestionably the finest American rock & roll band ever.

That said, Berry/Buck/Mills/Stipe never wrote anything as good as "Unsatisfied".

Lazerize and Golden Richards like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.