R.E.M´s 'Automatic for the People' reissue confirmed for 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lynd8, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Golden Richards

Golden Richards Forum Rodent

Mike's bass was wonderful live on that song.

BNell and drivingfrog like this.
  2. ProfBoz

ProfBoz Forum Resident

I have the same pressing, and whole heartedly agree.

Monddialle, Old Rusty and willboy like this.
  3. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

Me too. I commented about how good it sounded on page 2. Bought my copy in the UK near time of release.

Old Rusty likes this.
  4. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Forum Resident

I wonder if the demo for Drive will be like the live "funk" version...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

The shift was evolutionary, not 180 degrees. Automatic for the People became my favorite album ever when it came out. Nothing I have retrospectively purchased since and put on my top whatever lists, which include Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, Songs of Leonard Cohen, Odessey and Oracle, Village Preservation Society, A Wizard A True Star, Number 1 Record, Exposure, When I Was A Boy and OK Computer, has equaled or surpassed it.

6. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Was talking about as compared to their early albums, probably didn't make that clear enough. You're right it was an evolution. But they definitely hadn't put out an album as consistently understated and elegant before it.

John Adam likes this.
  7. megatroptimus

Up was a modern version of AFTP imo.

Lewisboogie and cgoodwin22 like this.
  8. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

Like Mike's Pop Song a lot too! I will be getting the Deluxe edition with the CD's and Blu-Ray in the 12 x 12 box. This is one of the best deluxe editions of REM yet.........!!!

c-eling likes this.
  9. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Ignoreland has been played live several times.

10. cgoodwin22

cgoodwin22 Senior Member

LOVED "Up"....thought it was extremely underrated and was panned by almost everybody.

11. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

I think each album was really a reinvention and that all are masterpieces at least through Up. I love many things about Reveal and ATS but will admit they have their issues. My least favorites are Accelerate and Collapse.

R.E.M. Timeline told me on Facebook that the Atmos mix was done by both Scott Litt and original engineer Cliff Nielsen. Obviously Peter and Mike had input as evidenced in the video clip. I don't have Atmos but the 7.1 core should give an idea of the new imaging.

As far as I know this is the first time a band has utilized the process for an album. I'm quite afraid of catalog film releases losing their original sound design with Atmos remixes but would be even more so with catalog music releases.

Hep Alien likes this.
  12. FLF

FLF The insurgency began and you missed it.

Up's biggest problem was that it was about 4 songs too long. Great album, but it dragged at the end and overstayed it's welcome.

13. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Yeah that's the one Ive got. I think it sounds great, but I think it could be improved upon. That would be quite tough though, as it is very good. Im not confident this new reissue will be as good as the one I doubt I will have any interest in it.....unless I see everyone on here saying how amazing it sounds!

willboy likes this.
  14. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

:p

John Adam likes this.
  15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Great album. I still have my cassette I bought when it came out.

16. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I hope there will be a two disc version with the demos. That's all I really want

17. megatroptimus

The first time I heard Airportman live at the Tibetan Freedom Concert, I was blown away by how radical the new sound was. And then they played Suspicion and I was already hooked.

18. megatroptimus

1. "Airportman" – 4:12
    2. "Lotus" – 4:30
    3. "Suspicion" – 5:36
    4. "Hope" (Leonard Cohen, Buck, Mills, Stipe)1 – 5:02
    5. "At My Most Beautiful" – 3:35
    6. "The Apologist" – 4:30
    7. "Sad Professor" – 4:01
    8. "Walk Unafraid" – 4:31
    9. "Why Not Smile" – 4:03
    10. "Daysleeper" – 3:40
    11. "Parakeet" – 4:09
    12. "Falls to Climb" – 5:06
    You're In The Air and Diminished could have been dropped. The others, I don't think so.

sinfony likes this.
  19. As has been noted the price is a joke.REM is my favourite American band of all time and if I am out at this price I wonder how many they will sell?

20. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Good question. And I would be getting it just for the surround mix; if I can't decode Atmos or whatever the hell that is then I'm out for sure.
    Is a used copy of the DVD-A cheaper than this behemoth??

21. beasandpeans

beasandpeans Forum Resident

argh. So every deluxe is going to have a differently shaped box. The collector in me disapproves.

I used to think this. However, one day I sat down and tried to think of what to remove and I couldn't. I like it the way it is.

George P and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. ProfBoz

ProfBoz Forum Resident

I would agree for the most part, with one caveat. Some time ago I acquired the vinyl lp, which is a double, and in that format the album made more sense, for some reason. Songs that seemed like filler had more purpose when treated as part of an album side. I remember feeling the same way intially about Paul Weller's 22 Dreams when I acquired it on CD. It just felt like a 15 song album and lots of filler. But then I listened to it once in broken up sessions, focusing on the double LPs four sides, and the filler had purpose. Shoulda bought the LP of that one when I had the chance . . . .

23. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

Love R.E.M but they have nothing of interest in the way of outtakes for me thus far that have made me bite on these reissues. I got Fables and it was really meh.

Up is awesome, I'd drop Airportman, Falls To Climb, Parakeet and Suspicion if I had to lose 4 but in truth I like the whole thing as is. It's probably a better album than AFTP in some ways, certainly more sophisticated.

beasandpeans and Hep Alien like this.
  24. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

"Falls to Climb" was a track I slept on for many years since I always thought the album petered out near the end. What a mistake; it's one of my favourites on the record now.

aoxomoxoa, beasandpeans and Hep Alien like this.
  25. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

i'm excited for the double lp priced just north of 20 bucks. I've never owned this album (one of my favorites from my youth) on vinyl.