R.I.P. Andre Williams

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mr Vertigo, Mar 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Vertigo

Mr Vertigo Forum Resident Thread Starter

From Pravda Records Facebook:

It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of legendary artist Andre Williams. He died this afternoon in Chicago at the age of 82. He touched our lives and the lives of countless others. We love you Dre.

:cry:

bgart13 likes this.
  2. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

One of the true giants.

3. Mr Vertigo

Mr Vertigo Forum Resident Thread Starter

He sure was. But judging by the lack of comments here, I guess few are aware of who Andre was.
    "Jail Bait", "Shake A Tailfeather", "Bacon Fat", "Cadillac Jack"... all classics. In the 60's and 70's he worked with Stevie Wonder, Ike and Tina Turner, Parliament, Funkadelic, Edwin Starr... Then of course he returned in the 90's to record and tour with Jon Spencer Blues Explosion and The Sadies, among other bands. I'll never forget when he opened for Jon Spencer back in 1996. Most of the audience had no idea who AW was but from the moment he came out on stage in his white suit and hat, he owned that stage.

4. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I have heard more about him than heard him, something I should remedy. I know him mostly for his work with JSBX and Sadies (a legendary band who are grossly underrated).

I just realized he wrote "Bacon Fat", which I've listened to many times via the cover version from the Zappa '88 tour album Broadway the Hard Way. Of course Zappa changed the lyrics to suit the political climate-du-jour, but the musical arrangement was tight. Listening to the original now.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  5. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

More sad news

R.I.P. Andre

Shambolicus and CliffL like this.
  6. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Rest In Peace.

7. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

"Would someone please pass the biscuits".

RIP

Jaycat, bgart13 and Shambolicus like this.
  8. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Andre was one of the absolute greats, a still-unsung writer and producer who had his hand in hundreds of incredible songs over the decades.

Got to see him live a few times in his later years, and knew someone who played for a long time in his touring band. He struggled hard, and for many years, to keep his health and wellness in check and enjoy a bit of a creative renaissance. The last time I saw him it was clear he was physically struggling, he had to take frequent breaks, but he could still put on a fairly electrifying performance. He had a lot of people who loved him and had his best interests in mind.

9. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

Sad to hear this news. Rest in peace.

10. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

11. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

Andre is one of the greats...I first heard his version of "The Monkey Speaks His Mind" before I heard Dave Bartholomew's...

Farmer Mike, Shambolicus and Davido like this.
  12. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

13. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

"Greasy Chicken"

bgart13 likes this.
  14. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

One of the great funk treasures that he wrote:

CliffL and Man at C&A like this.
  15. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

RIP Andre Williams, a local Legend... terribly sad news today!

16. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I didn't know who he was until hearing some of his songs. I think I need to fix that.

17. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Andre and Ronnie Spector, 2001. Ronnie cut this again with Keith Richards a few years later but she got the idea from Andre and Billy Miller!

bgart13 likes this.
  18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I haven't heard the name before but I know some of those songs. Just reading this thread has me thinking 'what an impressive career and life'. I'll have to look further into his work.

McLover likes this.
  19. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

He should have been a millionaire several times over for writing Shake Your Tail Feather.

Larsen, leshafunk, bgart13 and 3 others like this.
  20. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Elvis Costello did a great cover of this on Austin City Limits segueing directly to his song Monkey to a Man.

RIP

Though I admit now that I have always confused him with Lenny Williams. Shame on me.

Davido and CliffL like this.
  21. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

(Facepalm!) Good lord...I have had the Shake A Tail Feather 45 (by the Five Du-Tones) since 1981 and didn't realize Andre wrote it...yes, it is a stone classic.

Mylene likes this.
  22. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

One of the Greats.

RIP.

23. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Twine. Time. Sigh.

CliffL, leshafunk and bgart13 like this.
  24. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

CliffL and bgart13 like this.
  25. Jaycat

Jaycat Forum Resident

Maybe someone can help me with this. I distinctly remember hearing "Jail Bait" on the radio, circa 1960 or so. This was in the Washington, DC area. I was maybe 6-7 years old. Too young to know what the song meant, but I sure liked the sound. But, it's awfully hard to picture that tune being played on AM radio in those days....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.