Radio Program Acetate

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CaptainOzone, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaptainOzone

CaptainOzone On Air Cowbell Thread Starter

My Mom's sister was Jean Martin, a singer and entertainer in the New York City area in the 1950s.
    She made a lot of guest appearances and had a TV show, and once had a radio show on the NBC network.
    While looking through my Mom's albums, I located some 78 rpm recordings I thought were long lost. There is a 10" demo acetate with Rockhill Recording on the label and the other information typed, and two 12" acetates recorded on three sides. The 12 inchers have the NBC Microphone/Lightning Logo on them with the term Reference Recording and although the glue has seeped through I can read the typed wording: "Jean Martin Sings 8/13/52". The wax has a definite green color to it, and a pretty strong chemical smell.
    It would not be unreasonable to conclude these are unique (and possibly flammable).
    I played them carefully once or twice in the late 1960s and the radio show has as a guest one of the singers and/or movie stars of the time, although I can't recall who it was now.
    Obviously there is going to be a needle drop in the future. Steve, any tips from you or any other forum members would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Flammable, yes, but don't worry....it won't spontaneously combust when you play it due to needle friction. As long as you don't hold it above an open flame, you'll be OK. (In other words, don;t worry about it.)

Wipe it down with a damp (but NOT wet) cloth. Do NOT clean it with record cleaner or rubbing alcohol. I would go with about 2 g's of tonearm weight. The only mystery is if it was cut Microgroove or wider. If it was Microgroove, then you'll be fine with a modern stylus, but if it's an older groove, you're gonna get a lot of hiss when you play it.

Hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.