Radio Shows You Love?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Greenalishi, Oct 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Mostly non-musical, but Harry Shearer's "Le Show" (on assorted NPR stations around the country) is genius.

2. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

Podcast or online as well?

Looks like one for me to discover.

3. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real Thread Starter

I love that Harry Shearer show. His voice is enough on it's own. So in my memory. He is so funny and has interesting insight. Love that show. Years ago he did a bit on being in a cab in Boston during a politcal thing with the construction and chaos. Just fin hillarious.

Trixie Jones likes this.
  4. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

The Chill Room by Bennett Theissen is fantastic.

Some episodes are less "themed" but here's a few with very specific ones:
    Sun Ra: Cosmic Therapy : Bennett Theissen : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive
    The Monkees: The Porpoise Is Waiting : Bennett Theissen : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive
    Phil Ochs: So Many Reasons Why : Bennett Theissen : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

A more typical show will move from place to place, and encompass all manner of music, comedy routines, politics and lengthy sound collages which may deposit you in a symphony or joining Tom Synder as he interviews Charlie Manson.

trumpet sounds and Greenalishi like this.
  5. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Used to listen to this show religiously - “Thursday Lunch” - 2-hour program that aired in the late-80s/early-90s on KPFK, a listener-sponsored Pacifica station in Los Angeles. It was hosted by “Uncle Bob Young” during the Friday evening 8 - 10 time slot, and described thusly from the radio station programming schedule: “THURSDAY LUNCH-The Grateful Dead and their ilk. Rare and taped Dead with their Bay Area co-conspirators. ..or whatever.”

6. Greenalishi

Couple of Dead related shows on sister station KPFA. Flower Punk is dead orientated and The classic David Gans's Dead Hour show. He is a musician too. And an "expert" on the Dead. Heard his show for years. KPFA has a lot of really great long running shows. Bonnie Simmons, an original KSAN dj, maybe? the only dj from KSAN still on the air. Her show is personal and ecclectic and Rockin'. The blues show with Tom Masolini is real great. He ran the SF Blues fest for years. Great show. KPFK and KPFA have some great music stuff.

trumpet sounds and jamesmaya like this.
  7. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

IMO This American Life is a masterpiece.
    Also Listen to Smoke Stack Lightin', a blues radio show.

8. Greenalishi

Love This American Life. Sometimes those shows bore a hole into my head and will not leave.

samurai likes this.
  9. duggan

duggan Senior Member

By far my favourite radio show, absolutely superb.

10. Trixie Jones

Trixie Jones Raining in my heart

Agree! Always fresh and fascinating.

Like many posters, I love Little Steven's Underground Garage... it's the only thing on Sirius that always makes me happy. KCSN is a great station here in L.A., and my favorite shows are Nic Harcourt's Morning Mix, Lisa Finnie's Dylan Hour, and Pat Baker's Tangled Roots.

And I'm going to miss new Tom Petty's Buried Treasures...

Greenalishi likes this.
  11. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Another vote for "Tom Petty's Buried Treasure." His love and enthusiasm for the music was always evident.

Greenalishi likes this.
  12. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

I used to listen to that show, too, and I lived in Pennsylvania.

I discovered it before I found American Top 40, and I heard several songs I never heard in the States, like "California Girl" by Chilliwack. I couldn't always pick up the CBC on my AM radio, so eventually I got out of the habit of listening.

AT40 was a regular listen for me from 1976 to 1982. Once the local public library started a Billboard subscription, I stopped listening to AT40 every week and copied the Top 40 right from the magazine.

Another favorite radio show was Schickele Mix, hosted by Peter Schickele, best known for his "discovery" of the music of "P.D.Q. Bach." The one-hour public radio show ran for several years in the mid-1990s, and was always centered around a theme. He would use examples from literally all genres (classical, jazz, rock, country, world music, etc.) to illustrate his points. I tried not to miss an episode, even though my local public-radio station used to air it on Friday nights.

Greenalishi and Mr. D like this.
  13. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

Easily the best, I have played every episode at least 3 times. This show helped me cope with a few years of bad insomnia.
    Only 26 episodes to the full set!

adriatikfan and Greenalishi like this.
  14. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Harry Shearer: Le Show

15. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

KPIG Freedom, California

Greenalishi likes this.
  16. Greenalishi

KPIG is the best!!!!!!!

17. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Beaker Street with Clyde Clifford. It was originally on KAAY 1090 AM in Little Rock in the kate 60s. Then it came.back to KZLR 95 FM also in Little Rock in the late 80s. After that it went to Magic 105 FM in the 90s. And finally it went.to The Point 94 FM. An idiot programming manager forced the show to retire at that point. I'll never forgive that b****** or that station for killing the show.

Another great show still on the air is The KSHE Klassics on KSHE 95 in St Louis.

Greenalishi likes this.
  18. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

WFMU.

JoeRockhead and Steve Litos like this.
  19. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

I love (re) listening to Theme Time. He's very good at it!

qwerty and Greenalishi like this.
  20. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

Yes! Bob Brainen is my favorite program. Jazz, rock, pop, world. He's a little dry but the music is incredible.

And there's 15 years of programs archived on the website!

JoeRockhead, RudolphS and Greenalishi like this.
  21. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Andrew Sandoval's 'Come To The Sunshine' now on WFMU. I usually listen to the uploads on podomatic. Great show with very obscure 60's pop finds mainly sourced from original singles. Since he is in the business and an archivist, you get little random alternate versions here and there unavailable elsewhere. He used to be on this forum but I think he got too swamped by the Monkees fanatics.

22. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

The Deep End
    Music that Mattered - Deep End Radio

It is on at 12 midnight Monday- Friday on the Sound FM in Los Angeles.
    Which unfortunately will be changing formats to a Christian FM radio station in the next few days.
    This really sucks because this was the last good classic rock station in Los Angeles.

Greenalishi likes this.
  23. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

Music without words, words without music, and combinations therein. The freeform soundtrack for working, shirking, or twerking.
    100% Whatever with Mary Wing

-Came across her music show one night about 5-6 years ago and became a fan. Due to location, I listen over the web and streaming. Shows are archived, with playlists for easy review.

Greenalishi likes this.
  24. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Bob Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour was wonderful, even though I had to obtain copies from parts unmentionable.

In Melbourne we are fortunate to have world-class community broadcasters. They were a breath of fresh air when they first emerged in the landscape dominated by the limited conservative broadcasting we had been previously subjected to.

3RRR-FM was an early station which set the standard. The Saturday roots-music focussed Off The Record has always been a favourite, although I don't get to listen to it often these days. In the earlier years there was a long-running show called Slaggers, which chronologically played every Beatles bootleg available at the time (Beatle-freaks should be able to identify where the name of that show comes from).

25. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Psychedelic Psunday on Q107 (CILQ-FM) Toronto ON, which always begins with the Alice Cooper rendition of the the Judy Collins original, "Hello Hooray".

Greenalishi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.