Radiohead- A Moon Shaped Pool

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Groovy, Oct 15, 2015.

1. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

My Deluxe vinyl version of this sounds pretty good.

davidp71 likes this.
  2. Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman Well-Known Member

Been listening to AMSP a lot this past week or so. It's my favourite Radiohead album du jour.

Johnny Wong and Billy_Sunday like this.
  3. Captain Caveman

jamesc likes this.
  4. ScienceFriction

ScienceFriction Forum Resident

Are there good pressings of this out there, or are they only pressings new copies for the deluxe release via WASTE? I originally had the deluxe preordered, but decided against it before it came out in favor of the standard release. Then I got side tracked. I'm kind of glad I did after reading about the issues. Is this just one of those.. it's not meant to be, or should I just try my luck on Amazon?

5. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Johnny Wong and ScienceFriction like this.
  6. ScienceFriction

ScienceFriction Forum Resident

Thanks. US pressing? I've been eyeing a copy in my local record shop, but I've been thinking a European pressing may be better given what I've heard about Rainbo (sp?).

7. ammoj2

ammoj2 Forum Resident

Just a heads up that if you like this album you'll probably like the new Roger Waters album as well. Produced by Nigel Godrich with very similar instrumentation and gorgeous string arrangements.

Billy_Sunday and driverdrummer like this.
  8. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Yes, US pressing.

ScienceFriction likes this.
  9. Captain Caveman

Totally agree - superb album, loving it.

ammoj2 likes this.
  10. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

The Pros and Cons of Burning the Witch :)

drum_cas, vonwegen, Leigh and 3 others like this.
  11. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

I have difficulty agreeing. Roger's music on the new album is absolutely stellar (and, yes, regularly reminded me "This sounds like the missing link between Pink Floyd and Radiohead")... but I fear I can't listen to it for the same reason I can't listen to the genius "OK Computer": the negative/cynical tone of the lyrics ends up bringing me way, WAY down. Thankfully, "In Rainbows" and "A Moon Shaped Pool" veer away from the cynical/paranoid and just remain a safe level of "peeved". But to those who aren't affected by words, by all means, dig in :targettiphat:

...oh! and only one uptempo (well, midtempo) number on Roger's "Is This the Life We Really Want?"

scarfaceclaw likes this.
  12. barking spider

barking spider Forum Resident

Love Radiohead but I'm bored to death with Waters.

13. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

I guess I should be reading all 136 pages of this thread before mentioning this, but I find my deluxe edition vinyl copy to sound flat and digital. Maybe it's just because it was pressed at 33 rpm (instead of the 45 rpm of both previous deluxe LP releases), but I'm guessing if I'm hearing it correctly, then there should be some concurrence from other forum members. Question is... am I going to read the whole 136 pages of this thread? o_O

ScienceFriction likes this.
  14. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I have the US pressing as well and it's not terrible. An occasional pop/click, but nothing too crazy.

vonwegen and ScienceFriction like this.
  15. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

I love Radiohead and I'm amused to death by Waters... ;)

crispi and Leigh like this.
  16. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Roger Waters wrote the first Radiohead song, 25 years (or so) before Radiohead existed!

Seriously- check this out. It could easily be a Radiohead song from the 90's. At least parts of it, anyway...

Summerisle, vonwegen and davesmoked like this.
  17. davesmoked

davesmoked Forum Resident

I have to admit it...you got a point

vonwegen and Billy_Sunday like this.
  18. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Not sure about flat but the vinyl is cut from digital like all Radiohead vinyl. The production is compressed. I do think 45 RPM would have produced an overall better sound. I think the lp sounds good, not great. I finally listened to it again this weekend and really enjoyed it. The deluxe edition is a thing of beauty. I'd grade the sound quality at an 8/10. I wouldn't play this after Beck Sea Change or anything.

vonwegen and Stone Turntable like this.
  19. tumbledweeb

tumbledweeb Forum Resident

Heads up for the people of the OC. I just picked up the 2Lp black vinyl edition at Urban Outfitters in Irvine for $9.99 today, they had another 5 or 6 copies left!

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  20. tumbledweeb

tumbledweeb Forum Resident

No issues with my copy either! Great album, can't believe it has took me this long to listen to it!

21. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

I just came here to alert others of this as well. I bought it yesterday in Canada at UO for $19.99 less 30%, which is $14 CDN/$10USD.

JeffMo likes this.
  22. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I've never been to UO before but I may call around locally here this weekend!

23. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

They are the biggest seller of vinyl in the US. Their selection has changed quite a bit over the last few years. More Ariana Grande and less back catalogue Dépêche Mode. A collaboration with Amoeba bombed too... Amoeba was "curating" dollar bin records and UO charged $15.

That said, I have scored lots of great vinyl there in the $5-15 range. Codeine. Radiohead. MBV. Stuff that sits gets marked down to $10-20 just like clothes and they often have 30-50% off sales. I got MBV for 40% of $20 instead of $60. Yep, $12 Canadian.

jamesc and JeffMo like this.
  24. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Don't bother. It does sound flat. I played my copy today after some time and was unpleasantly surpised by how dull it sounds. Lovely pressing, but crap mastering and/or mixing. The hires download sounds better. It is a shame, because the music is lovely.

vonwegen likes this.
  25. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident