Radiohead- A Moon Shaped Pool

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Groovy, Oct 15, 2015.

1. obi

obi Forum Resident

It’s either a vinyl rip or somebody who has been playing with some sort of de-clipping software. I have no idea why people upload DR readings of stuff like this. It serves no purpose whatsoever.

Tsomi, tin ears and amoergosum like this.
  2. Why, in your estimation, does it not serve a purpose? DR values are merely a guide, sure. They don't tell the whole story. A Moon Shaped Pool is not a clipped recording, either. There's nothing in de-clipping software that's going to cure something that's not clipped.

3. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I like this album a lot, and even if it doesn't touch their best records (The Bends, OK Computer, Kid A and In Rainbows), it was still a nice bounce back from the merely solid King of Limbs.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  4. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

Deaf_in_ LA_1974 Forum Resident

I picked this up when new, after half a dozen listens, I decided all I really need from Radiohead is Kid A

Chemguy and Rolltide like this.
  5. Satchidananda

Satchidananda Forum Resident

And not Amnesiac??

deadcoldfish likes this.
  6. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

OK. ;)

7. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

Deaf_in_ LA_1974 Forum Resident

yea unfortunately I didn't find Amnesic worked as an album. great singles, but not a solid listen in my book

ToneLa likes this.
  8. slainte

slainte Forum Resident

Criminally underrated...

*Zod*, scarfaceclaw and Satchidananda like this.
  9. Amnesiac is the very definition of a criminally under-rated album in my book. One of their very best.

10. brianplowe

brianplowe Forum Resident

I really like Daydreaming, the third song, and True Love Waits off of this.

11. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

Great album, bad sound.

SoundDoctor and jon9091 like this.
  12. obi

obi Forum Resident

It serves no purpose because the DR postings on the "Dynamic Range Database" are useful to guide people in cases where different masterings exist so you can get the more dynamic version if you like.
    DR readings of vinyl rips are notoriously unreliable and a record cut from a DR6 master can easily end up giving a DR12 reading so it doesn't tell you anything about how dynamic the record is or if it sounds good or bad. The only way to know if an album has a more dynamic mastering than the CD is to ask the band, label or the mastering engineer who did the mastering.
    The homemade "declipped" masterings that many are doing are also not helpful. All it does is confuse people and make them believe that a more dynamic exists when it doesn't.

13. It is true that most attempts to make recordings more dynamic have failed. It is also true that needledrops often give an unclear picture and should only be used as a alternate flavor for any particular recording.

I guess I see your point with somebody posting a home brewed "version" on the DR Database since it's not like it's available to everybody. Moreover, there is no provenance that tells the reader how a greater dynamic range was achieved.

Anyone who uses de-clipping software is actually making the files lossy. One is deleting data from the songs. Not good. Plus, it simply doesn't work (at least not to my ears).

So, yeah, I know what you mean now. Thank you.

There is, however, only one way to recover lost dynamics in a recording, and it takes a lot of math, finding the transients inherent in a recordings, as long as it's not clipped post-mixing. What's more, I find that the most misleading thing about the DR numbers is assigning a strict numerical value as acceptable, when really a recording most pleasing to the human ear is one that follows psychoacoustic principles, chiefly those which occur in nature as dynamic waveforms. I'm not so sure that amplitude/loudness has as much to do with it as the actual waveform, itself.

I think I'll start a thread. I don't do that often.

Billy_Sunday and obi like this.
  14. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Played the album again last night after a break of a few months. Still really like it. I can only listen to it in bed, in the dark, on the discman. It doesn't work on me anywhere else. In the car, in the daylight, I'm like, "wtf?" but in those dark hours after bedtime when I'm all alone with my thoughts it really hits the spot.

15. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

It’s become something I regularly listen to while on a long flight. Radiohead in general seems to make a good soundtrack for air travel.

16. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

Ha! I've always thought the same thing

Phaneronic likes this.
  17. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Yeah me too. I love that album. Especially at 35000 ft

Phaneronic likes this.
  18. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I spy a new thread idea...

19. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

It has two out of the three best Radiohead tunes for me, Knives Out and Pyramid Song

20. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Do you own PJ Harvey's White Chalk album? Talk about a 1-2 punch.....

Chrome_Head likes this.
  21. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

In Rainbows Disk 2 has really been doing it for me at cruising altitude lately as well.

22. It's Felix

Not sure I am aware of disc two. Of course Stars of the Lid are the ultimate flying soundtrack

23. It's Felix

Her best LP

24. This is one stoned out album.

seaisletim, JoeF. and Chrome_Head like this.
  25. It's pretty dark sounding and slow, huh?

JoeF. and Chrome_Head like this.