Radiohead Announce North America Tour - Summer 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Billy_Sunday, Feb 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Those venues probably have seat licensing, where the owner gets first crack at any event held there.
    If the owner of the seat doesnt want to go, they'll sell it to the public.
    But generally what happens is the owner of that seat has an "arrangement" to sell that seat through a broker.
    That's probably what your seeing there.

Just ask the authority who runs your local building how many seats they get for business reasons.
    I'd imagine a few sets of those are in there as well.

2. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

How does Pearl Jam not give a toss about fans in Europe? They’re playing a bunch of festivals there this summer? I count 14 shows in Europe on their tour page.

ian christopher likes this.
  3. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I believe all 4 times I’ve seen them has been in mid-sized, open air arenas. Always has been great.

4. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

Ok they don't give a toss about the UK, if Radiohead treated U.S fans like that they'd have a right to bitch about it, that being a said are little isle is getting more irrelevant as time goes on.

Seriously PJ litterally tour every year in the States yet we get something around every 4 years, it's quite pathetic really if you ask me.

5. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

So it turns out a bunch of us might go see them in Toronto. And whaddya know, with it being CAD I can get a floor ticket for $80 USD. It would make sense this would materialize the moment after I posted that I'd never see them haha. I'm way excited.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  6. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Is this just a tour, or is there any indication that there is a new Radiohead album on the way? I know this can be tough to gauge because Radiohead doesn't always release their albums in a traditional way... maybe there's a surprise release coming?

7. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

They don’t live there, have families, and are in their 50s and play in Europe all the time, including a few dates in London this summer. I don’t understand how that’s pathetic.

ToneLa likes this.
  8. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Have a great time--they put on a brilliant live show!

I get the feeling this is a "were Radiohead, were touring and we don't need to have a new album to flog"-type situation.

9. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

Honestly I never thought I would see the day when people in the UK were moaning about not enough shows in their neck of the woods. :laugh:

From a guy who travelled twice to the UK to see Simple Minds because they never tour here.

10. Although the veil of secrecy around Radiohead is always held tight rumours have been circulating that there will be a live release this year.Whether that means something like I Might Be Wrong or something more substantial only the inner circle would know.
    Backing up the comments above.I have seen them on their last 2 Australian tours-Hail To The Thief and King Of Limbs tours-and both times they were transcendent.
    If I had to choose 1 act in the world to see in 2018 it would be Radiohead.

JeffMo and DeanoBee like this.
  11. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I still wanna punch them for not releasing a live show from the In Rainbows tour, which was the pinnacle of beastly Radiohead set lists, but oh well. They have never been a band to do what is expected. Too bad they aren't coming near me this time around. :(

ToneLa likes this.
  12. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

And yet we in the U.S. rarely see Simple Minds, Magazine, or so many great post-punk era bands.

13. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

^^ This

14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I’ve only seen them in large arenas and at festivals, and they have always been amazing. I would love to see them in a small venue, but as you said, those shows sell out in a second, and secondary market prices are ridiculous. Hopefully, with larger venues, there will be better access to tickets. I need for them to come to the West coast, however.

15. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I've seen Radiohead 6 times, going back to the last OK Computer show at Radio City, 20 years ago.

Three times at MSG, once at the Prudential Center in Newark. The sound was always very good, and of course the closer you are to the to the stage it's excellent. The one time things seemed a bit off was out at Liberty state Park in 2001.

One thing they succeed at is getting the details right and a feeling of intimacy in an arena. Problem is, their tours are short compared to what they used to do. And my ticket to the Garden two years ago was expensive, from a reseller.

I kind of hate to say it, but they're a a legendary band now, together for almost 30 years and all pushing 50, or close enough. Hope you get a chance to see them this time around.

16. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

AFAIK, the Rolling Stones have 13 UK/Ireland shows being announced next month. 2 year in a row that only got shows in Europe.

17. screechmartin

screechmartin Senior Member

I saw them in Vancouver in 1998 (magical), Seattle in 2003 (magical) and Seattle in 2012 (dull). In the latter show there was just an excess of post-guitar noodling. I knew that is where the band was at, but I just wanted Jonny Greenwood to pick up that damn guitar.

18. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

In the UK last year I paid what would be 90 dollars to go to a show with a partition - fence, if you wanted to get to the side closer to the band it was extra, even though there was plenty of room. The sound was poor back there

Only bad time I've had with Radiohead, seen em four times

Hope this tour has no nonsense

19. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

I was at that show. The organisation was abysmal. I had front enclosure tickets and got there an hour before. After passing through security we missed the first 30 minutes and there was absolutely no way to get into the ‘golden circle’ where the audience were packed like sardines in a crushed tin box (sorry)

In the end we made do with a seat towards the back, where at least the sound was excellent.

We had amazing seats booked for the original Manchester arena show too.

I’ve seen Radiohead around 20 times since 1997. I actually thought they were just Ok live up until around 2005, when I saw them at Hammersmith a couple of times. Since then they’ve been excellent - apart from the King of a limbs Manchester show, which just didn’t work for me at all...too much esoteric new material...

ToneLa likes this.
  20. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

I haven’t seen Radiohead live in person since OKC, but I’ve followed each tour online. I regularly listen to the In Rainbows Santa Barbara show and the KoL Austin City Limits set, so I’m generally a fan of their newer material.

That said, when I first saw a Moon set, I had trouble getting past Burn the Witch. Love the song, but it doesn’t translate well for me live. Substituting the gorgeous strings for Johnny’s ridiculous bowed guitar wrecked it for me. I was glad to see it gone by the time they played Glasto.

JeffMo likes this.
  21. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

hate to be that guy, but I guess you had to be there. live (in person) it just rocked.

22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

are they bringing a guitar player with them or is this going to be the thom yorke band.

23. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I’ve never had a chance to see them despite being a fan since Kid A. Really hoping to get tix tomorrow.

24. quattroatl

quattroatl Forum Resident

Where's Atlanta?!

25. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Burn the Witch quickly fell into that "good song that I never listen to" category.

Oddly, I tend to skip the first two and last two tracks of A Moon Shaped Pool. Tracks 3-9 I still get quite a bit of mileage out of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.