Radiohead: The Bends vs. OK Computer

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mike, Aug 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike

Mike New Member Thread Starter

This is your opportunity to tell the world that The Bends is superior to OK Computer. Or not. :) Please vote!

2. chasing_8

chasing_8 Forum Resident

Can't do it. I'd wanna choose 1, 2, and to some extent, 4.

Enough with the Coldplay as Radiohead jokes already. They are completely different bands, doing very different music. So they both have English vocalists that sing high. Wow.

willy and Tuco like this.
  3. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

I had to choose OK Computer; I just had to! ;)

In any case, I agree with chasing_8. Leave it alone already with the Coldplay/Radiohead comparisons. I personally have never felt that the two bands had anything more than a passing similarity due to the fact that they are both British, both write very strong, melodic music, and both owe a lot to The Beatles and Pink Floyd, but in different ways.

4. Mike

Just kidding bro! For the record, I agree with you. :) It's neck and neck! Cast your vote .... for The Bends!

5. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

OK Computer. It's just one of those perfect records.

6. vex

vex New Member

I think we're starting to see backlash against OK Computer because it has become so popular. It was "cool" when it was just a cult thing, but over the years its become too popular for its own good. Ah the paradox of cult status...

7. Mike

Who are you dastardly brutes that want to give Thom Yorke a thrashing? Go listen to some Grand Funk or something!*

*no offense intended to Grand Funk fans or Mark Farner, Don Brewer, Mel Schacter or Bruce Kulick.

8. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

I love The Bends, but OK Computer is nearly flawless, IMHO.
    I would have voted for "Coldplay needs a good thrashing," though.

ThePostElectroGranger likes this.
  9. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

I know what you mean, but I still take pride in the fact that I loved it a full 2 years before any of my friends and the rest of the world began to catch on to it. :D

10. World of Genesis

World of Genesis Active Member

I saw Radiohead circa 1993 when I was a senior in college. At the time, the song "Creep" wasn't even popular yet. I recall thinking, this brooding band is going nowhere... I guess I was wrong!

ARK likes this.
  11. vex

vex New Member

So, are people latching onto The Bends as an alternative to OK Computer being too popular to be cool anymore? I find The Bends to be my least favorite Radiohead LP. I think Pablo Honey is much more consistent. However, since it has the monster hit Creep on it, I guess that excludes it from being embraced by the jaded alternates.

What happens when The Bends becomes too popular? There won't be any more "undiscovered" Radiohead LP's and the band will be cast aside completely. :sigh:

12. wes

wes Senior Member

The Bends by far............

The songs are so much better and melodic...............

I'll say this though........."No Surprises" is a perfect little lalaby(sic)

I went to their concert last night and I was somewhat dissappointed......Their last five years or so of music seems to lack the melody that it once had.

-Wes

JoeF. likes this.
  13. Mike

Cool plays no part in my musical opinions. I've been singing The Remedy by Jason Mraz all day - love that tune!

The first time I heard Radiohead was when I videotaped them doing "Bones" on Roseanne Barr's short lived late night comedy show. Thom Yorke was writhing about like a man posessed and the band was just rocking! (I think I'll bust out that tape) I just think The Bends is a better album. But as of this moment I seem to be out of touch with the SHTV zeitgeist.

EDIT - It's tied up!

14. chasing_8

chasing_8 Forum Resident

Sorry, my mistake. ;) This medium can make it difficult.

Voted for "The Bends." The greatness of "Ok Computer" aside, I just put "The Bends" on more.

15. Mike

Your check is in the mail. :D

The Bends is now in the lead, thus proving the obvious superiority of my impeccable taste in music. :cool:

Skyrockets in flight. Afternoon delight!

16. JWB

JWB New Member

"The Bends" is too "generic" for my taste.

The band was in absolute shambles when they made "The Bends", struggling to stay together and complete the album....to be true artists yet please their record company, and everyone was pressuring them not to become a "one hit wonder".

Remember....the record company had a big hand in "The Bends" final track selection....while the band was given 100% control to make "OK Computer".

Thus, many of the best songs from "The Bends" period wound up as B-sides.

(Everybody should at least own a CDR of the Bends/OKC b-sides.)

17. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I've been living with OK Computer a lot longer than The Bends (the only other Radiohead album I own) so as of now it's still OK Computer although this might change in time and also when I find time to get into Kid A, Amnesiac et al.

18. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

I voted for 4. I don't know what it is about Radiohead but I can't seem to get into them. Listening to OK Computer was, hmm, strangely laborious. I want to like them but...but...it just never comes together. You know what I mean?

19. Mad Matt

Mad Matt New Member

I've always been of the opinion that while OK Computer is the better ALBUM, the Bends is a better collection of SONGS. Kind of like Exile on Main Street vs. Let It Bleed. :)

-Matt

20. Matt

Matt New Member

What would have been Radiohead's track selection for the Bends?

Man, now I feel like it's tainted!

21. World of Genesis

World of Genesis Active Member

I always felt that OK Computer was overrated. I've always felt The Bends was a much more well-rounded album...

ARK likes this.
  22. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Should we call you AddMan? :laugh:

Just kidding you. :)

23. tomd

tomd Senior Member

At the risk of getting flamed-I'd like to pick none of the above and vote for Kid A as the best Radiohead album.While I like both The Bends and O.K. Computer I think Kid A sounds more cohesive as an album than the other two.The Two best tracks on it are the National Anthem with that killer sax part in it and How To Disappear Completely with it's opening acoustic guitar that reminds you of Pink Floyds-Wish You Here.Plus it has that smooth electro ambience of some kind of future elevator music that coarses thru and underpins the album.

24. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

I'm not sure I'd choose Kid A over OK Computer, but I'd definitely pick it over The Bends. I liked your review. it's a good one for the back porch, starry night, headphones and a good cigar.

25. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

I prefer OK Computer...bought it when new, played it a lot. Weird stuff, but lots of melody. I've had a hard time with their more recent lps. I confess I do like Creep a lot;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.