Rage Against The Machine: "Evil Empire" SACD mastered by SH on Audio Fidelity coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by weekendtoy, Oct 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I am looking forward to hearing "Year of the Boomerang" on the SACD. I love the song, but it sounds horrible compared to the rest of the album on the original CD. Luckily, the "Higher Learning" soundtrack has a good sounding version.

jimhb likes this.
  2. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

Can we order it hard & ballsy? :D

3. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Bullmoose has it for $25

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  4. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

5. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Wooooooooo! Thank you AF :pineapple::pineapple::pineapple:

6. scratchyvinyl

scratchyvinyl Forum Resident

I agree. I think it's probably due to different mixes of that particular song. I remember the "Higher Learning" soundtrack coming out months before "Evil Empire." Brendan O'Brien did the soundtrack mix and since Andy Wallace was called in to mix all of "Evil Empire," he might have remixed "Year of the Boomerang" to sound more consistent with the rest of the album. Both sound great but I prefer the soundtrack mix.

7. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Interesting. I never knew any of the tracks appeared elsewhere. I'll have to track down the soundtrack mix and see what I think.

bleachershane likes this.
  8. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Yep, they were different. Higher Learning was released in 1994 I recall and the song was named "Year of the Boomerang" while on the album it is "Year of tha Boomerang".
    Same can be applied to "Darkness of Greed", originally from RATM Demo from 1991 and a re-recorded version from 1993 for The Crow OST and appearing as "Darkness" there.

P.S. I wish Sony issued Evil Empire boxset with the remeastered demos from 1995...

9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Not authoritative, of course, but the Wiki page for the Higher Learning soundtrack indicates the RATM was later re-recorded for the Evil Empire album. So its not just a different mix, according to that.

Higher Learning (soundtrack) - Wikipedia »

johnnypaddock likes this.
  10. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Yep, and I remember I read somewhere that Tire Me was featured in the movie too while being a different mix.

11. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Interesting, I am going to have to listen to both versions again.

12. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Cant wait to buy this. I wonder if Battle of LA will come next?

jimhb and Vinyl Addict like this.
  13. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

14. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

@Steve Hoffman I seem to recall you mentioning for the debut you weren't allowed to show a pic of the tapes...same rules with this one?

15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Sony doesn't like it.

16. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Preordered on Bullmoose, $27.97 shipped.

I can't believe we are getting another RATM SACD. The self titled SACD was the first CD I have bought in over 10 years, and it was totally worth it. I even bought a used SACD player just for the CD.
    Can't wait to hear what they do with this one. Bring on BoLA!

17. Rudi

Rudi Forum Resident

How very strange. I wonder what their reasoning is for this. Is there something secretive on a tape box?

18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

None of the companies let us do it. The times I've tried they have politely asked for the photos to be removed and the moderators have complied.

bleachershane and Vinyl Addict like this.
  19. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

Thanks Steve and AF for taking on this album! This was one of my faves and I played it a ton back in the day. I'll get the AF and I'm looking forward to hearing the improvements!

20. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

Sweetbejesus, I didn't think this would get the SACD treatment! My favourite Rage album, I really want this. Any idea what's the best way to order this for delivery to the UK?
    If 'Battle of Los Angeles' and 'Renegades' get the SACD treatment I'll plump for those too, rarely listen to those CDs due to the terrible brickwalling!

21. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

I order almost all my AF cd's from importcds.com. I found this to be the cheapest route.

22. man I cant wait to hear how it turns out!

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  23. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

Not up on there yet (as far as I can see, their search isn't working great). I'll keep my eyes out.

24. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Wait a week or two and it will be up for preorder. Amazon works too but usually 5-10$ more expensive.

25. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Request Rejected »

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.