Rage Against The Machine: "Evil Empire" SACD mastered by SH on Audio Fidelity coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by weekendtoy, Oct 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I had the original cd years ago, I'll see if I can "acquire" it again and compare. I did listen to the sacd layer 2x out of my oppo 103 into my LDMKIII and HD600 combo and I loved it.

Cliff likes this.
  2. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

Finally got my copy yesterday and listened to the CD layer. I don't have an original CD but Steve's version sounds damn good, so punchy and dynamic! And that bass!

Terry likes this.
  3. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Love the new SACD as well. The original CD sounds bright and compressed compared to it.

4. George P

George P Notable Member

Like with the S/T Rage A/F SACD?

5. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Yes. I think you said you preferred the eq on the original CD of S/T, so you might feel the same way here.

driverdrummer likes this.
  6. George P

George P Notable Member

Yeah, thanks!

7. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Believe it or not, the bass guitar on the original issue sounds even better (more impactful and thunderous). And that's saying a lot because the AF sounds dynamite.

Zomvid likes this.
  8. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

Ok after a few more listens, along with some comparisons to the OG CD, here's my take. I first got this on cassette the day it came out at Circuit City. Later on when I got the CD, I thought it sounded exactly like the cassette. Kinda bright, very "cassette-ey" if that makes any sense. Almost like that tape hiss and in-room was still there.

This (granted, I don't have an SACD player *cough* yet) sounds like the band is playing in outer space or something. It's DEAD quiet. At first I didn't like the AF at all and thought something had been removed that shouldn't have been (that live, demo-y sound). But after spinning the original CD again I think this one is maybe a hair better. It's less-congested. Plus I already cracked the cellophane so no chance of returning it :shh: :laugh:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    Soundslave and George P like this.
  9. I was able to give 1.5 spins to this album yesterday (CD layer only), a good listen all the way through then a second play of some of my favorite tracks again. I really enjoy the AF disc. To me the vocals stuck out a lot on this new mastering, having more air and presence - more like someone speaking into a microphone instead of a recorded final product. As others have mentioned the bass and drums sounded good on the original release - although I do feel they are improved here on the AF. To me, the true sound of actual guitar / bass / drums pops out more on the AF. Listening to these AF RATM albums, I keep being reminded of the MOFI "Angel Dust" by Faith No More... I love the sound of it and can respect the decision of the mastering engineer to remove some of the compression that was initially added to the original release. After this decision and the remaster, you are essentially left with two different versions of the same album. The slam (feel free to insert synonymous adjective here) is less on the new AF or MOFI masterings but you gain a bit of room for the instruments to breathe and the actual recording to shine through. Both are enjoyable IMO and I am happy to own them and support new interpretations of the same album.

oopap, Soundslave and hotsoup like this.
  10. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

This release is awesome! Definitely more air and breathing room between all the instruments but there is also a lot of slam when there needs to be. As an example the end sections of 'Down Rodeo', 'Without A Face' and 'Roll Right' always sounded weak and harsh on the original CD where the AF release allows the full impact to come through. Bring on 'The Battle Of Los Angeles'.

Soundslave, Ryan_Pretzel and theron d like this.
  11. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I’ve listened to the CD layer of this, and checked my original CD for comparison, and I really like this one. It still rocks out hard/nicely, but is more of a musical experience now vs. perhaps just a song-on-the-radio experience by comparison given the relative compression and brighter eq of the original CD. I have the first album coming, I always enjoyed that album more so looking forward to hearing that one.

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  12. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own. Thread Starter

Finally got a chance to listen to my copy (#1703) last nite. I wanted to wait until I could really crank it. Mr Hoffman's remastering doesn't disappoint!

Overall, both Rage SACDs sound excellant but I like the music on the S/T album quite a bit more.

13. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

Not blown away by this SACD, I would rate it at average. Prefer it on original LP it pains me to say as I was hoping for something more.

Zomvid and markmck79 like this.
  14. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Just got this, and wow...it crushes the original CD so hard haha

15. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

The SACD beats the original CD imo! Breathes better (less compression), crankable, not harsh. Checks all the boxes for me! Really nice and defined bass.

Now AF how about a 2xLP 45rpm ultimate vinyl audiophile version, huh? :cool:

Ryan_Pretzel and Joey_Corleone like this.
  16. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

I mentioned this earlier, but doesn't anyone feel that the drums are buried or is it just me?

Zomvid likes this.
  17. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

On my system drums are fine. Varies a touch from song to song though depending on mix...

18. Claus

Claus Senior Member

That was easy, because the original is compressed.

theron d likes this.
  19. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

(Speaking of compression and modern rock albums, Id like to see what AF could do with the first Audioslave album...compression nightmare)

Back on topic...

oopap and TSWisla like this.
  20. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Well, duh! Thanks for noticing. Others sure haven't!

I tried to make sure that each studio they used kept its own sonic signature on each mix during my mastering. That's the entire point of doing it for me. Making it all sound alike is pointless. I mean I could pull a Bob Ludwig and make each song sound the same but there are other CDs and LPs out there of this that do that. The AF is the first that "respects the studio" and the band really digs that, which is the reason that they are letting AF do this second RAGE SACD in the first place.

On the other hand, if your system is playing the AF SACD back and every song sounds the same sonically, there is trouble in River City.

21. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

Please excuse my ignorance, but all of Evil Empire wasn't recorded in the same studio? Or do you mean the studio used for each album? Sorry, this is new to me and I find it very interesting!

Every song didn't sound the same on Evil Empire and I have noticed that on different albums from different artists as well. Thank you again Mr. Hoffman!

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  22. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Mainly at a rehearsal space, trying to save money, I would imagine. Pretty sure they just banged a hole in the wall to run cables through and stuff. Different days, trying different setups, different studio for mixing, etc. Andy Wallace mixed some of it, didn't he?

The album was mainly mixed on a SSL 4072G desk and a Studer A820 1/2" at 30 ips.

I think the band was going through a rough patch making this record, the sound reflects the struggle to get a coherent sound and failing. Makes it sound tense and slightly off putting. That's what I love about it. I kept it that way.

23. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

Wow, I love that kind of insight. Thank you again.

theron d likes this.
  24. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I think all at Cole Rehearsal Studio Hollywood, but I guess it being recorded over such a long period, March, 1995 – February, 1996 according to wiki, that probably brought out some differences between songs. This from Brad Wilk leads me to believe he was looking for different sounds between tracks, "KM: How have you changed as a drummer in the last four years? BW: Let me avoid the comedy here: On the first record, it was in-your-face, abrasive, and you knew where 1 was. But you couldn't really hear the subtleties that I was into priar (sic) to this band. I wanted to bring that out on Evil Empire. It was great that we recorded in such tiny room. I wanted to capture the subtleties that were going on between 1 and 3. That's what makes the groove, and what distinguishes your groove from someone elses. I think this record captured that much better. KM: So the inner sleeve photo on Evil Empire.... BW: That's where we recorded, in that tiny room at Cole Rehearsal Studio in Hollywood. Down the hallway there was a huge room where the producer sat with 24-track board and the tape decks. We snaked cables across the ceiling into a tiny, sweaty room where we recorded everything. It was actually cool 'cause that's where we rehearsed for the record.
    the complete RATM site »

Listening still to just the CD layer of the AF so far and it reminds me so much that I never really liked this record more because the CD was a bit tough to listen to and that was even before hanging around here; I am really truly digging into this record for the first time and lovin' it much more this time, very cool.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    hvbias, Ryan_Pretzel, jfeldt and 3 others like this.
  25. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I really like the sound of this release. I played it straight through three times yesterday on my main system (Oppo 105) and there is no way I could do that with the old CD as fatigue would set in due to the compression. I've also played in the car and it sounds great there.

Joey_Corleone and noname74 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.