Rage Against The Machine self-titled album on stereo SACD by Audio Fidelity mastered by SH coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, Apr 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claus

Claus Senior Member Thread Starter

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  2. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

Great album, but the CD already sounds great...

3. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Awesome news! Count me in for 2 copies! :goodie:

I'm sure this new SACD can sound better than the original CD we have. After all, it was released *gulp* almost 25 years ago...

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  4. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Oh man, I really would like to support AF in making these choices (yes, almost 25 y ago, but stll more modern than most of AF's releases), but how much is to improve... There are so many more albums 0f the 80s, 90s and 00s begging for a fine remaster job with a great SACD treatment...

5. Claus

The production and mix is good... that's the main reason the original CD sounds better than the average dynamic range. The original LP sounds sooo good... great tonality from the highs to bottom.

6. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I have a question. I didn't see SACD listed. Instead it says audio CD. Is this actually an SACD?

7. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Whaaat? AF doing RATM? Sold! Hopefully we're going to see more 90s stuff..Stone Temple Pilots, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Manic Street Preachers, you need AF!

8. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Since AF only release hybrid SACD nowadays....

eric777 likes this.
  9. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

Didn't know that. Thank you.

10. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

How much is there to improve? We won't know until we hear it. :)

AF are limited to what albums they can get and re-release.
    Also, a lot of albums from the 80s onward only have a digital master. I think they generally prefer to reissue analog recordings for their SACDs. This one is on analog tape.

Dino and Stefano G. like this.
  11. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I know there are already several reissues on vinyl but I wish they were doing that too. The MOV appears to be the most highly thought of and is OOP. The XX version doesn't get the best feedback and the original is getting pricey. If this SACD is good it may end up being my first purchase of a little silver disc in quite a while.

12. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

I've once emailed AF for the possibility to release more modern albums. This is the answer I got:

"The issue with more current titles is that the majority of the newer recordings were recorded digitally and the master contains a great deal of EQ and compression. There is not much we can do with those recordings to improve the sound.
    I would appreciate if you could give me a list of titles your would like to see us do? Let's take a look at them."

Because AF was then choosing for a more prog direction and because I didn't know exacttly all more modern album titles by heart which are recorded at an analog way, I didnt answer Blonstein yet. I know you are a master engineer with more knowledge about that. Would there maybe a way of making a usefull list with great albums of the 80s, 90s and 00s titles which are really begging for a better remastering job?

mikeyt and Plan9 like this.
  13. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I'm excited for this! Really glad to see AF tackle a more modern recording. I hope they follow it up with Evil Empire and Battle For Los Angeles. There's probably a lot of room for improvement with increased dynamics on BFLA.

George P, captainsolo and ramokoff like this.
  14. Entombet

Entombet Forum Resident

I would love to hear Pearl Jam "Ten" made by Audio Fidelity. Badly.

15. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Great to see AF taking on a 90s album - more please!

xcqn, CrewU, ramokoff and 3 others like this.
  16. Claus

Yes, it's great... but there are 3 factors.... licence, availibility of original sources, sales.

bru87tr and Plan9 like this.
  17. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

OMG! BUY!

xcqn and bru87tr like this.
  18. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I'm not sure from what majors or labels AF can license titles, but the good thing is that a few inde bands still recorded analog in the 90s. Weezer for example. But they have been recently reissued by MoFi, so they have the rights for the moment and AF can't get the license.

If you have some titles in mind I can try to find if they have been recorded/mixed in analog or not.
    Still, there are things to be done with early digital masters, I wished AF were less shy to tackle them.

19. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

A great choice. Automatic buy for me. The original CD is good but is somewhat compressed.

20. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

Live - Throwing Copper

keyXVII, Cornholio and mrdon like this.
  21. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Well this is good news indeed. Here's hoping to more in 2016 :cheers:

22. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I would think you would want them to make it well. :)

Lost In The Flood and LEONPROFF like this.
  23. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I enjoyed mastering this.

DSD right from the September, 1992 original analog masters from Quantum Sound Studios, Jersey City, NJ!

As someone mentioned yesterday: "When A/B'ing our new Audio Fidelity SACD mastering to the CD version - the glass goes away and this rich, full beast comes to life - very fun."

24. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

RATM deserves to continue in the spotlight and I'm glad this release will bring them further exposure despite having not been active. As the most politically-oriented band of the last 30 years, their music's messages still remain relevant today. The album already knocks me off my feet, so an SACD of RATM will knock me out. I guess this will only be the original album and not the bonus tracks from the anniversary set, but no matter-I'll be up for buying one.

BDC likes this.
  25. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Wow!!! What a gas. I can't wait.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.