Rainbo's Pressing Portfolio of Beatles Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mazzy, Nov 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mazzy

Mazzy Sir Mazzy Thread Starter

First of all let me say that I LOVE the sound of these new remasters. Love the collection. But the weak link is in some of the pressings (apparently only those pressed in the U.S of A.) so I feel it is time for us to showcase some of these aberrations.:

The Best of Rainbo's 2012 Beatles Stereo Vinyl Pressing Collection.
    A place where folks from Capitol, EMI, Apple and Abbey Road can see a selection of Rainbo's fine work all in one place and separated from the countless other Beatles Vinyl discussion areas.

So post away your images and sound links and descriptions of only pressing problems (post your other comments on the other Beatles discussion pages). Maybe this will send a message, so the next printing (if there is one) of stereo albums and the MONO Box, is much better with more attention paid to quality control.

The Beatles deserve the very best. But again we thank you Sean and the others at Abbey Road for your great work. These problems are only about the pressings.

Attached it my Revolver with a chunk out of the edge. I have also sent back my Abbey Road and waiting for a replacement copy. But for then next ten days, you can hear the main problem here:

http://2.recordertheapp.com/8738c4f44df1e247519e/

http://2.recordertheapp.com/7a0e65335f2129ce89b2/

photo copy 2.JPG

Aftermath and imarcq like this.
  2. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

Sometimes 'Like' isn't really what I meant. How can you like such a crappy disc as this? So registering an unofficial 'Hate'. I can't believe how BAD that is. Did they play Frisbee during lunch?

EasterEverywhere and Aftermath like this.
  3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

They went through the process quicker than making guitar picks. :(
    That's basically 80% of the problems.

Aftermath likes this.
  4. Ringo75503

Ringo75503 Forum Resident

Man..if you hadn't noticed it right off the bat and placed it on an automatic turntable and hit start....WHAM...bye bye stylus! Ugh!

5. Mazzy

It's like back in the day. Once in a while when you got a cut out they slice the cover and right through to the record.

6. Ringo75503

Ringo75503 Forum Resident

Here's my collection of pressing and handling woes...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  7. Here's just one of my set's defects, albeit the worst defect: image.jpg

That's the lead-in groove to Abbey Road. I haven't dared to play it lest it damage my stylus. I don't want to risk having to shell out $650 for a retip. Elusive Disc agreed I should not play the record.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  8. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Rainbo should know better . . . they'd had a pressing relationship with Capitol dating to the 1960's, when they pressed Tower, Sidewalk and other lesser subsidiaries' product.

9. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

These photos are disgraceful...what a lack of QC....:thumbsdow

Aftermath and 1970 like this.
  10. Lethrus

Lethrus Forum Resident

I have endured many of the frustrations illustrated here (edge cuts, warps, scratches, non-fill, off-centered labels, label cracks) with at least half of my 13 Beatles remasters. A couple even had fingerprints fresh from the shrink wrap. I bought three additional copies for my son to give at Christmas and they too exhibited examples of Rainbo's poor QC.

I wish I could contribute photos to this thread but they have already been returned. I will be very reluctant to purchase another record pressed at Rainbo based on my experience with these releases. Some of the graphic photos displayed here illustrate some issues well, and I definitely hope the people involved in the upcoming Mono release are paying attention. Rainbo should be ashamed of itself, but I doubt they care. Cynical perhaps, but man-o-man doesn't a major Beatles release deserve far better treatment?

BTW, I agree that the sonics for most titles are pretty decent where there isn't non-fill issues, so it's too bad they couldn't produce good quality vinyl to go along with it. Oh how I wish it had been QRP..

Kubricker likes this.
  11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Rainbo has always sucked. In the '80s I used to get indie releases as test pressings from Rainbo. These were test pressings, and should have been the best they could do and they STILL often sucked.

I couldn't believe it when I heard that EMI had chosen Rainbo for this release.

Really, they should just recall these boxes and reissue them properly. But it's a throw it at the wall and hope it sticks world. I am sure the vast majority of boxes/albums they've sold in the US have been purchased by people who don't even know enough to care.

rxcory likes this.
  12. Well, I have to say that the replacement discs I received from Rainbo look pristine. I haven't had a chance yet to play them to confirm they sound as good as they look.

I am still miffed about that chunk out of the lead-in groove on my original Abbey Road. What you can't see in the photo due to the angle it was taken is that part of the chunk of vinyl that is missing from the lead-in groove is still attached, and juts out from the record vertically and diagonally. It's as if someone dropped the record on something sharp, like the side of a table, or purposely cut into the edge on a diagonal with a knife. Seriously, I don't see how this kind of defect coud have gotten through QC.

Kubricker likes this.
  13. Michael Bohannon

Michael Bohannon Well-Known Member

I think everyone on Rainbows pressing staff should be detained, questioned and a video of the pressing plants analyzed. It would be funny but interesting if they did just that and looked into the heap of junk that got out from this dealio. I have not run into one defective regular reissue pressing as of yet and have 4 more to go. I am very sorry for anyone that has gone through this for the money spent. I have a feeling for those who are persistent, that you will get the set you paid for in due time. It hurts to look at those defects, but you should try to make art out of them if you still have them. Frame them and sell em!

Aftermath likes this.
  14. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Did Rainbo press the LP's issued in Canada?

15. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

That is one impressive portfolio. They might need some new PR:

"Rainbo -- Where Quality Is A Slogan!"

"Rainbo -- New Pressing Process Guarantees Higher Noise Floor Every Time! Avaialable Wherever Cut-outs Are Sold!"

"No More Guesswork In Vinyl Playback -- New Edge Chipper Feature Ensures You Know When The Needle Drops!"

"Set Tonearm To Moderate Hop And Let Rainbow Do The Rest!"

"New Rainbow Warble-Master Tone Flex Centering Console Creates Unique Collectibles With Each Pressing Run!"

"Eco-Friendly Vinyl Recycling Puts Earth First While Ensuring SQ Is Always Second! Rubber Soul? We Say Rubber Sole!"

Lost Monkey and Mazzy like this.
  16. Mazzy

nice. I totally forgot me starting this thread I must had been ****faced.

17. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Why dredge these horrible memories of 2012 up

GRC, Lost Monkey and Mazzy like this.
  18. Mazzy

Howerer. Capitol did right and sent replacements Good ones.

Bill likes this.
  19. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Especially the Abbey Road RE-1.
    the beave

20. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

There's that. But I'm sure you, I and all of us prefer no wasted time and having it right the first time. Some of those pics you posted were really something. I'd have been furious.

21. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

On a more positive note, I want to thank the forum members who steered me towards an EU produced box set, and away from the US pressings. I just purchased mine from Amazon UK and received it this past week. Really enjoying it. Currently comparing and contrasting with the mono vinyl albums. Thanks again!

Mazzy likes this.
  22. Lost Monkey

Lost Monkey Forum Resident

Yes and no... Amazon.ca and I think HMV as well, sold a mix of Rainbo and German pressed (Optimal). But, I don't think they started selling the German pressings until after the QC issues starting coming to light.

I bought a Rainbo set and there was an issue with every single disk...returned the lot. I bought copies of Let It Be (minor issues) and Abbey Road (major non-fill) and EMI sent me a replacement for Abbey Road and the replacement has issues... I gave up and waited for the mono set.

Maybe someday I will seek out the Optimal set, but for now I am very happy with the mono set.

I won't knowingly buy anything pressed at Rainbo again.

23. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Same here...the Mono Box Set is flawless...quiet as quiet can be! I gave up on the Stereo Box Set as well..I ended up buying individual US pressed LP's and got lucky. They are all fine! It's a damm shame the QC did not go into the Stereo pressings.
    I really want the book that came with the Stereo Box Set....

24. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I very much agree with the sentiments expressed by you folks in this thread. Enjoying the mono set immensely in every respect. If the Optimal EU stereo set becomes available in the US I'll buy it. Not very enamored with the 2 Rainbo made lp's I bought - AB and Masters. Is there a reason the EU ones are not on the shelves in US stores? Is this the first time Beatles albums have not been available as imports here?

Aftermath likes this.
  25. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Just curious--Does Rainbo have an identifier in the deadwax for their pressings?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.