Rascals cancel shows - what's up?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vivatones, Jun 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vivatones

vivatones Forum Resident Thread Starter

This afternoon the Rascals announced the cancellation of four shows on their current "Once Upon A Dream" reunion tour. Concerts in Charleston, SC., Charlotte, and Atlanta (2 shows) were cancelled. Has anyone heard why? How have they been doing so far? I believe they are in Philadelphia tonight.

2. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Forum Resident

I think the show here in Cary, NC was already cancelled. I assume slow ticket sales. There was literally no buzz for it around here.

3. wdp33

wdp33 Forum Resident

I don't know, but when I looked at Boston, tickets prices were pretty high, so I passed.

4. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I have tix for their Holmdel NJ show. Hopefully everything will be ok.

5. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Maybe they'll rearrange the tour and try to offer something less than obscene ticket prices?

6. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Little Steven still thinks they're The Beatles, so they're priced accordingly. :winkgrin:

JoeRockhead and sewerdog like this.
  7. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

You have to wonder if things might have been different had they gone through an earlier reunion/revival (like the Monkees did in the mid-80s)--the last time they were a real band was a looooong time ago...and none of the individual members managed to have the post-band solo success of someone like Frankie Valli (I'm sure the whole "Jersey Boys" success helped grease the wheels a bit for the Rascals Broadway stint)

wayved likes this.
  8. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Baltimore shows, set for July, were postponed until October. The absence of any explanation leads me to believe that there's either a serious rift or an illness. Or bad sales from the high prices. I think it's 80/20 that they don't come off at all.
    Was really looking forward to seeing the show.

9. jonmayo15

jonmayo15 Forum Resident

I think it's a combination of high prices at large venues. They really are a theater act, some of these outdoor venues are simply too large and the prices I saw are kind of high. I've heard it's an incredible show though.

10. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

What is the pricing?

I have VIP tickets to see the Happy Together Tour in October and paid $80 to see Turtles (Flo and Eddie), Mark Lindsay, Gary Lewis, Chuck Negron and Gary Puckett. I've always liked The Turtles above The Rascals.

11. wayved

wayved Guest

That really sucks. They would be welcome in Tucson. I would be there.

12. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I saw 2 of the original shows in Port Chester, NY, and thought they were outstanding. They performed well, and the songs are mixed in with visuals.

Prices weren't great, but at the time of those shows, there was the possibility of it being a one time event. The floor was $130.....I did it for one show, which was 2nd row almost center. The balcony was $60.....which I did the other night. I was then thinking of hitting at least 1 Broadway show, but when I saw the balcony was $150, I decided against it. I didn't check what the current shows are going for.

13. wayved

wayved Guest

The Rascals were their own band. know I was not around back then but their music spoke for itself. Im suprised a tour even got started at all. Im glad they all got together again but they werent as big as the Beatles. Or Three Dog Night. or whatever. That may be the problem with the ticket sales. The fans are the fans.

14. houston

houston Forum Resident

the prices I see in this thread are too high... and why book Charleston, S.C.? no offense, but did they really think there is a market for the Rascals there, at these prices?

like was said, the Rascals were late to the re-form game, they are 70 years old, Hell, I saw Sinatra when he was 71, and he was considered a relic...but a legendary relic...while I'm a fan of the Rascals, there are not that many of us..and not in Charleston, South Carolina!

what they should have done is book on a package tour, like all of their contemporaries do (save the Monkees)...maybe it wasn't worth reforming without a huge payout, in their way of thinking? at least they need to book 3-5,000 seat venues, in larger markets...and $60 for a balcony seat? Hell, I saw New Edition 2 years ago in the balcony for $10....I dig the Rascals more, but New Edition is 25 years younger...recalculations are definitely needed

15. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

The Rascals in Uncasville

Where: 1 Mohegan Sun Blvd, Uncasville
    Venue: Mohegan Sun Arena - CT
    When: August 30, 2013 at 20:00

$501 for floor seats? What kind of BS is that? Sure they're in the Hall Of Fame but big whoop. I'd rather see The Turtles.

Oh wait I am going to see The Turtles and a bunch of other great acts with center floor seats for $80.

One Louder and Wade like this.
  16. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Maybe they hired Henley & Frey as consultants ? :laugh:

17. wayved

wayved Guest

How can one book a band called The Rascals???

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

careful he get Tony after you!:eek: he's still around.

19. wayved

wayved Guest

I dont have 500 bucks to see the Rascals.

20. Scroll down and you'll see floor seats closer to the stage for $619. And people complained that Rolling Stones tickets are too much!

21. Michael

better yet "The Young Rascals"...:)

wayved likes this.
  22. Michael

WOW! that is filthy...I'm surprised. I thought better of them...I guess they figured they make a killing.
    I'd expect that from the Stones.

23. maclen

maclen Senior Member

I just got half price tickets for the Atlanta show today. I had no idea they cancelled two of the shows. When I saw 4 Atlanta shows I wondered if that might be too many to fill. Really looking forward to the show.

24. wayved

wayved Guest

Funny. good one.

25. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Maybe they'll throw in a couple of Stones songs.:D

Actually, any indication of trouble brewing with the Rascals (ticket prices, health issues,etc) bums me out. I was really hoping they would make it to Chicago.
    Although, big fan I am, there is no way I'm laying out more than 100-150 bucks for a ticket.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.