Ray Charles - Help Me Find The Atlantic Era In The Best Sound Quality!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Dec 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

Hi All

I have all kinds of Ray Charles CD's from the Atlantic era, including the seven CD "Pure Genius Set" from Rhino & the "Digipak Atlantic Masters" series from 2001, however I want to find the complete Atlantic era in the best sound quality I can. So far as part of my quest I have or will have after just ordering "The Birth Of Soul", the following all of which sound great......

1. The Birth of Soul (1991)
    2. Soul Brothers/Soul Meeting (With Milt Jackson) Atlantic 1989
    3. The Genius Sings The Blues (MFSL)

4. The Genius Of Ray Charles (MFSL)
    5. The Genius After Hours (MFSL)
    6. Ray Charles Live (inc Atlanta & Newport) (Atlantic 1987)

So now I have some questions......

1. Does "The Birth Of Soul" contain all the Atlantic Blues, Soul & R&B vocal recordings?
    2. Do I now only need "The Great Ray Charles" & "Fat Head Ray Charles Presents" CD's
    3. What are the best CD versions of the above two albums?

Any help, advice inc catalogue numbers is much appreciated!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
    Jerry and rxcory like this.
  2. hodgo

Steve, is this the early version on Atlantic?....... The Great Ray Charles

I've checked the Amazon ASIN # in google and it matches up with the following catalogue numbers UPC 075678173127, EAN 0075678173127, apperently released in 1987.

3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Simple. Atlantic LP discs and 45 singles. In the best condition possible. For the Atlantic R&B oriented items on CD, The Birth Of Soul is excellent and thusly recommended.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

No.

5. hodgo

Thanks Steve, would you have any idea when the CD you mention was released or a catalogue number?

6. Steve Hoffman

I don't have it anymore, sad to say. Wish I did... I "went vinyl" with Ray. SORRY!!!

It was on Atlantic not Rhino, that much I do remember..

McLover and Mr Bass like this.
  7. hodgo

Funny you should mention vinyl, I see there's a recent Warner/Rhino reissue LP that seems to be getting good reviews so that might be worth a shot.

8. hodgo

Hi Steve,

I've got good news, the link I gave is the right one for the CD you recommended, I took a chance after noticing an Amazon market place seller had one on sale for 27 pence plus £1.25 postage, anyway it turned up today and it's the Atlantic issue with the extra tracks and NO Rhino on it, it looks the CD is incorrectly listed as being on Rhino which is not unusual with Amazon.

It was released in 1987 mastered by Elliott Fedderman and produced for reissue by Bob Porter, it has 14 songs and states that "It's Ray's first two Jazz recording Sessions complete and in chronological order", so for a grand total of £1.52 GBP ($2.40 USD) I've got a great sounding CD. :pineapple:

shutdown66 and rxcory like this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

That's it. Congrats!

SOONERFAN and shutdown66 like this.
  10. hodgo

Thanks for the original tip off Steve, I have the modern remaster and it pales in comparison to this 1987 CD.

11. Steve Hoffman

I wish I had kept mine. We tried to get the stuff for DCC and when that didn't happen I got rid of it in disgust or something. Silly.

rxcory likes this.
  12. hodgo

Steve, here's the Amazon.com link if you want a copy.......
    Genius After Hours - The Great Ray Charles

rxcory and Steve Hoffman like this.
  13. hodgo

I've now tracked down all the Atlantic era albums on nicely mastered CD/SACD's with one exception......

It doesn't appear that there is a decent mastering of the album "Fat Head, Ray Charles Presents David Newman", all the CD versions I've seen appear to be from the 2000's onwards, which is a shame, I guess for now I'll just have to settle for the tracks included on the "Pure Genius Set".

14. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Got these 3 here. Never had any other Brother Ray in any form. Suspect that these are good as they'll sound, but that's just my 2 cents.

15. hodgo

Yes agreed they sound really nice indeed, I'd love to see MFSL put out some more of Ray's Atlantic era albums, or better still it would be nice if our host could get to sprinkle his magic fairy dust on them.

rxcory and Say It Right like this.
  16. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Fathead was my favorite Ray Charles Atlantic album, especially for the track "Hard Times" which was the instrumental theme song of (later Atlantic producer) Joel Dorn when he had a Philadelphia radio show in the early '60s.

I have a CD of this title which I *think* is pre-2000. I'm not home right now to check, but I'll let you know the details next week, Graham.

17. hodgo

Thanks Bob that info would be good to know and should hopefully help me track down a copy.

Like you I too love the Fathead album, I've always loved horns, the playing on this particular album is superb and never fails to move me.

18. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These two rock my world, would give anything for audiophile versions. Or any other new Ray from Steve for that matter.

762rob and hodgo like this.
  19. hodgo

Steve mastered "Genius & Soul" for DCC which should be possible to find on Amazon, another option is the Analogue Productions release of a couple of years back, it's still readily available and mastered by Steve's original mentor Kevin Gray!

rxcory likes this.
  20. rxcory

Thanks for that, Hodgo... done! And now back to the "wishing for something better for the Atlantic years" thread.

hodgo likes this.
  21. rxcory

Thanks again Hodgo. I received my copy yesterday and am loving it! Somehow I never knew that Steve had done this title, and that being a standard aluminum CD they can be had for peanuts. Best $3 I ever spent! Probably less than I paid for the Rhino CD :shh:

SOONERFAN, Sneaky Pete and hodgo like this.
  22. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

My go-to copy of Fathead: Ray Charles Presents David "Fathead" Newman is contained in a 2-CD set on the 32 Jazz label, titled It's 'Mister' Fathead ('Mister' in italics), mastered in 1997. The set includes three other original Atlantic albums of David Newman (without Ray Charles on piano). Nice package (jewel case in a cardboard slipcase) and liner notes booklet, with an introduction by the late Joel Dorn (ex-Atlantic and 32 Jazz producer).

Links —> Amazon US / Amazon UK

[​IMG]

I don't notice much difference when comparing the sound to the tracks in the big Pure Genius box set. The latter seems just a tad brighter, and I think I prefer this 1997 set. Note that this album was a binaural (2-track) recording, with piano/drums/bass hard left and horns hard right. That's how I remember the original 1959 vinyl (which I no longer own).

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  23. Steve Hoffman

The MONO tape of the Newman is much better than the stereo, being the one that was "professionally" recorded with correct mic placement, etc. The stereo version is way more distorted and weird sounding, but I love it anyway.

McLover, GerryO, 762rob and 1 other person like this.
  24. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Would love to hear the mono version on CD or SACD.

hodgo and rxcory like this.
  25. hodgo

Thanks for the info Bob much appreciated, I shall definitely be seeking out this 2 disc set for sure, like you I'm hoping we'll see a mono version released and hopefully it'll be done by either Steve, MOFI or AP at some point.

Bob F and rxcory like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.