Ray Charles producer Sid Feller RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeP5877, Feb 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member Thread Starter

I ran across this in my local paper today. His work with Brother Ray, which includes the album that is my avatar, is legendary. I had no idea he was living right here in Northeast Ohio. RIP Sid and thank you for the music!

http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/news/114016942474770.xml&coll=2

Sid Feller, 89, arranger, producer, conductor in 60-year music career
    Friday, February 17, 2006
    Wally Guenther
    Plain Dealer Reporter
    Orange- Sid Feller, 89, whose 60-year musical career included working as an arranger, producer and conductor with Ray Charles, died at home Thursday.

Feller and his wife, Gertrude, moved from their Los Angeles home four years ago to live with one of their daughters, Debbie Glassman, in Orange.

In 1959, Feller began a long musical relationship with Charles that lasted into the 1980s. He was credited with helping Charles create a blend of rhythm and blues, according to the American Big Bands Data Base Music Library.

During the 1950s, he was one of the musical directors at the former Capitol Records. He worked as a producer, arranger and conductor with such stars as Jackie Gleason, Peggy Lee, Dean Martin, Mel Torme and Nancy Wilson.

Feller became a free-lancer in 1965, working as the musical director for the "Flip Wilson Show," and for television spe cials with Andy Wil liams, John Davidson, Pat Boone and John Denver.

He also worked with ABC's Paramount Records and produced soundtrack albums for several Broadway shows.

Feller was past president and treasurer of the National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences.

Since moving to Greater Cleveland, radio personalities from Los Angeles, New York and Cleveland turned to him for interviews, talking about his work with popular recording artists, bands, and especially Ray Charles, his family said.

He was born Sidney Fellerin in Brooklyn, N.Y., but was known as Sid throughout his career. He studied to play the trumpet. As a teenager, he worked with several groups and with Jack Teagarden.

While serving in the Army during World War II, he was a member and conductor of Army bands at Newport News, Va., and Fort Knox, Ky.

He and his wife had been married for 64 years.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I had the pleasure of meeting Sid several times at Ray Charles' studio. A great guy and gentleman.

Rest in peace.

You can hear Sid's distinctive voice on several of Ray's ABC-Paramount recordings such as "Deep In The Heart Of Texas" and "Worried Life Blues"....

3. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

Wow...89 years old. He certainly had a full life.

He spent 60 years in the music business! I can only imagine the changes he saw.

R.I.P. Mr. Feller

4. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

5. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Is that Sid talking in the background on "Ol' Man River"? It sounds like someone is directing the background singers as to the lyrics they should be responding to. Did Ray overdub his vocal separately on that track and not perform a guide vocal during the take of the backing? (If so, was Ray even there for the recording of the backing track? Afterall, the piano part is not exactly trademark Ray.......).

Incidentally, while "Ingredients In A Recipe For Soul" is my favourite DCC release (joint 1st with "Pet Sounds"!) and is also one of my favourite albums of all time, I have never listened to the bonus cuts on the DCC disc since I first bought it. Had I been familiar with "Worried Life Blues" I wouldn't have had to ask this question on that other thread :nyah:. Now I've listened to "Worried life Blues" again finally, I don't know which is my favourite version of this great track!

Thanks to Sid for all the great recordings.

Thanks also to you, Steve, for preserving those recordings with your magic touch :thumbsup:.

6. Steve Hoffman

Mal,

Every Ray Charles recording on ABC-Paramount from 1959-67 was recorded live in the studio.

7. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

That's what I thought. So, is whoever's talking the lyric snippets in the background on "Ol' Man River" guiding Ray?! And is it Sid??!!

:)

[I seem to remember broaching this subject a few years ago on the old DCC board and you saying you could tell us but you'd have to kill us afterwards - is my memory going or does that ring a bell?]

8. Steve Hoffman

Sid's conducting.

Ray is being fed his lines. He'd never get anything recorded if he had to memorize all the lyrics of every song he sang in the studio.

Also, I cannot imagine any black soul singer going around singing "Ol Man Ribber" and knowing it by heart back then. They would have had to read a lyric sheet; Ray could have "felt" one in Braille but he was playing the piano....

9. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Thanks for clearing that one up - it's been bugging me for years! I guess even geniuses need a little help now and then :agree:

10. Steve Hoffman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.