Ray Donovan - Season 3

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chazro, Jul 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just saw an advanced preview of the season 3 premier. I was worried when I read that series creator/writer; Ann Biderman, was leaving the show. There's nothing to worry about! While some of the sidestory's may need a little work, Ray's in fine form. I won't get specific so as not to spoil. A favorite actor, Ian McShane (amazing as Al Schweringen in Deadwood) looks very promising. I'm a big fan of the show, but now I gotta wait a few weeks before I see new material, these previews are a blessing and a curse!;)

forthlin likes this.
  2. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Ian McShane is a great addition. Too bad Vinessa Shaw won't be back. I've enjoyed the show so far.

Liev didn't thrill me very much early in his career. Now he's doing some great work.

3. Chazro

As a longtime Deadwood fan, I gotta admit I'm totally stoked at the prospect of seeing Trixie & Al (Paula Malcomsen and Ian McShane) together again! Although their characters probably won't have much interaction, I can't see the writers letting a little 'easter egg' action slip by. The fanboy in me just wants to hear him call her a 'loopy ****', just once!!;)

Subvet, budwhite, Jonboy and 2 others like this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Wow, the first Season 3 episode of Ray Donovan is up on YouTube from Showtime:

We'll see how long it stays up. I think of every show I've ever seen on HBO or Showtime, this may have the most complex intertwined series of story and character issues going on than any other. It'd take me 2 solid pages just to list who's mad at who, who killed who, who got arrested, who's suspected, who's innocent, who's guilty, and on and on and on. It's quite the soap opera, but it's fascinating and sometimes funny as hell.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    ex_mixer likes this.
  5. SMcFarlane

SMcFarlane Forum Resident

Let's hope ... please ... please ... that the storylines are less family soap opera-ish and more fixer-ish!!!

& damn ... the video is not available in Canada :(

Daryl M likes this.
  6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Ian McShane is a great addition. I've had my fill and then some of Jon Voigt's character, so I hope he's phased out/killed off/whatever. Remind me, did Vinessa Shaw's character get killed? I can't remember.

:thumbsup:

7. jwoverho

SPOILER ALERT:

Ezra had Avi take care of Kate as she had too much information on Ray, Mickey, and everyone else involved in what happened to Sully.

8. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

I was a late arriver to RD. Last year I was sick for a few weeks and a I binge watched the first two seasons and was instantly hooked. Great show, and looking forward to watching the 3rd season premiere tonight, even though it's already available to view.

9. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

I'm really looking forward to tonight's show. Katie Holmes' part looks interesting.

10. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

First episode was pretty good, IMO. I also enjoyed seeing McShane. Now we need a cameo from Olyphant. Maybe he could play a U.S. Marshall :D.

Humbuster and Chip Z like this.
  11. SMcFarlane

Good first episode though it was a bit disjointed I thought. Okay, not the best show. But we've waited a while and it was good to have Ray back!!

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Sorry to see Elliot Gould go. "You've got to fix this now, Raymond!" It's a twist in the plotline to see Ray without a boss for the moment, but it's clear they're building up the billionaire to be the new guy.

13. Chazro

I read Biderman left due to the show running over budget (maybe that's Hollywood-speak for her not getting what she wanted?). Hopefully McShane isn't as expensive as Gould, but I'm gonna miss him. Always thought it was an interesting dynamic between Ray and his 2 fathers.

14. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

The number of times Ray's daughter said `Daddy' - five, maybe six.....I lost track after that.
    But he only called her `sweetheart' once, of that I am sure.

15. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

I didn't realize that McShane was so short. I've been a fan of his for years. A&E (I think) used to air a series called Lovejoy kind of a detective show set in the world of antiques.

Chad

16. Chazro

Last nights episode was killa! Very passionate and tense. I think McShanes's character, Finney, was behind what happened to Terry on the inside. Wait'll Ray finds out!;) I'm not feeling Katie Holmes at all. She's barely been given any dialog, and she's not the eye candy I expected her to be. What's up with the black braces!? Didn't wear them in the 1st episode but has in 2 & 3. Does she need them or are they the latest L.A. fashion accessory, like the fukakta gold teeth!? Anyhow, Ray Donovan's the best show on Sunday night right now!

Vidiot and AndyNicks like this.
  17. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

Agreed! Loved last night's episode. The Finney Storyline is going to be great. I only hope Avi and Lena return.

dlemaudit and Jamey K like this.
  18. jwoverho

I had a bad feeling Micky was going to wreck Ray's plans. Telling that Ray kept his word about the tape even if the end result was not what he'd hoped.

Great acting all around, with Schreiber's part multilayered and nuanced. I've really grown to respect his work over the last several years.

Vidiot likes this.
  19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Ten minutes into the show, I said, "well, Ray's only option is to go back to the rich billionaire and get him to use his influence to get brother Terry out of the joint." And of course, that's ultimately what happened.

Man, Katie Holmes is looking like crap. They're not giving her the lighting and makeup she needs to look her best. But I like the way the rest of the show looks.

I'm hoping Ray will get his two assistants back, because I thought they were a very interesting part of the whole "Hollywood fixer" process.

AndyNicks likes this.
  20. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I just started this. Binged all the seasons, and I'm caught up now. Love it.

AndyNicks likes this.
  21. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

On "Lovejoy" it was pretty clear he wasn't tall, most of the female characters were as tall if not taller than him.

22. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

I did the same thing last year haha.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

What was stunning for me was finding out that Ray Donovan's older brother Terry (Eddie Marsan) is British! I was floored when I saw him in the British series Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell and heard him speaking in a veddy British accent! He does a pitch-perfect job as a Boston boxing thug. Absolutely superb actor, 100% convincing.

The show is moving in weird directions this season (after the departure of showrunner Ann Biderman), but it's still very interesting and entertaining.

Jamey K likes this.
  24. SMcFarlane

I had a similar reaction ... but for me it was seeing him in The Best of Men (good little film) on Netflix I think. There he had a german accent. The guy is good with accents! Anyway, it got me to look him up and that's when I discovered he was British.

Watched the latest episode last night ... Guess what? These guys still aren't listening to us here ... still way too much in the story lines about Ray's kids, wife, etc. ... I'm annoyed!!! :) I still stick to the idea that the show would be far better if they focused on his fixer role. As it stands, despite the good performances it's sort of becoming a soap opera I fear.

Vidiot likes this.
  25. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

yes , i mean those two as well

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.