RB600 wiring problem. Right channel cutting out.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Samson7, May 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samson7

Samson7 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I replaced the Grado stylus on my Rega P25 a couple of days ago and since I did that the right channel cuts out and I have to lightly tap on the RCA cable to get it working again. I replaced the stylus without removing the cartridge so the pin connectors were not disturbed, not at least to my knowledge. The right channel RCA cable has become very microphonic and it wasn't before, just lightly touching it produces a thumping sound through the speakers. Also, when I raise the tonearm it makes a thumping sound when fully raised.

I think that this may have something to do with the fact that I removed the tonearm once back in 2000 and I lost the little plastic piece that secures the cables to the plinth and over the years the movement of the cables stressed an internal connection.

I just noticed this last night and have not ruled out the problem being the phono input on my black cube, I know that black cube outputs are temperamental, ie, they need an occasional tap to work when a channel goes out. It's been like this forever and I just live with it.

I don't know if I should just leave it be as I used it with no problems for a couple of hours last night.

If I should need to fix this can anyone recommend a good place that rewires rega tonearms?

2. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Samson7 likes this.
  3. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

swap your left/right rca inputs into the cube and if the problem remains same channel, issue is the cube. If changes, then somewhere on the arm (including cartridge). If you then think it's the arm, change the clips from the cartridge, and then if problem channel switches, it' s the cartridge, if not, tonearm wiring.

Samson7 likes this.
  4. Samson7

Ok. Thanks for the response. So I supported the cable with some tape and rearranged the cables so there is no pressure on them. They were a bit kinked up before. This seems to have solved the problem for now (fingers crossed). No more microphonics when cueing tonearm.

I bypass the vtf dial and adjust the counterweight instead. I noticed today that the dial was set to 3. Can and does this dial need to be turned passed 3 to disengage the spring vtf?

5. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I see no reason setting it to 3 would disengage it. I guess maybe if you keep turning until it stops you will have the outermost turn of the spring pressed against the metal enclosure. Maybe that's the idea. Or maybe there's a stop on the dial.

Samson7 likes this.
  6. Samson7

I've been reading around on the web and the consensus is to turn the dial past 3 if you want to bypass the spring vtf. It seems like that is a popular method. I was concerned because mine is set to a hair below 3.

7. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

yes if it is the RB300 arm, "Turn the VTF dial past the '3' mark to disengage the coil spring. " as far as it will go.

Samson7 likes this.
  8. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

nb same for the RB600

Samson7 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.