Re-doing Bowie's Never Let Me Down - any precedents?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bobdylansbarber, Aug 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Do we know when this was re-recorded?

Of course, there was Brian Wilson's Smile, but that never got a full release originally. I can think of several others who have gone back and revisited their back catalog in the studio, but usually not an entire album like this.

2. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

There’s also versions with Greg Lake and Jakko singing over the same backing track too. Alas, I don’t think Boz or Wetton ever got a chance with it.

This year or late last year.

3. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Then who exactly is overseeing this project? Is it more of a remix or a full re-recording by original band members?

4. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

To quote an earlier post of mine from another thread:

I see no-one’s yet mentioned Otis Spann’s The Blues Of Otis Spann (1964) and Cracked Spanner Head (1969). They’re essentially the same album with instrumentation added - not by Mr. Spann, I should add - and dramatically changed track titles.

Both albums were reissued on CD by BGO in 2005:

[​IMG]

The Blues Of Otis Spann
    Rock Me Mama
    I Came From Clarksdale
    Keep Your Hand Out Of My Pocket
    Spann's Boogie
    Sarah Street
    The Blues Don't Like Nobody
    Meet Me In The Bottom
    Lost Sheep In The Fold
    I Got A Feeling
    Jangleboogie
    T 99
    Natural Days

Cracked Spanner Head
    Crack Your Head
    Iced Nehi
    Wagon Wheel
    No Sense In Worrying
    Dollar Twenty-Five
    Everything's Gonna Be Alright
    Lucky So And So
    Sometimes I Wonder
    Mr. Highway Man
    What Will Become Of Me

(Hmm. A couple of instrumentals were left out...)

unclefred likes this.
  5. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

Nilsson - Aerial Pandemonium Ballet.

cmcintyre and Tristero like this.
  6. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Add 'I Was Born To Love You' to that trio. Terrible album, despite the effort.

7. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

You're missing nothing. I dislike the original album but the 2 redux tracks [so far] are not an improvement, IMO.

bobdylansbarber likes this.
  8. ScaryMercedes

ScaryMercedes Forum Residents

The first thing that comes to mind is Yes' Fly From Here: Return Trip. 2017 Trevor Horn remixing the album and redoing Benoit David's (perfectly fine) vocals, with the late Chris Squire's 2011 bass and vocals still intact.

I believe in 1977 Elvis Costello went into the studio with The Attractions to re-record "My Aim Is True" barely a few months after it came out, with the intention of having the new recordings on all subsequent pressings (and presumably erasing the Clover versions from history), but for some reason it didn't happen. (Which is fine by me.)

Granted, to my knowledge Clover was still alive at the time, so it's not quite the same.

I know there's a horrific remix album of the Jackson 5's 1967/1968 Steeltown-era sessions (which first surfaced in 1996) with cheap-sounding modern instrumentation dubbed over the bad-sounding original tapes, and although I first heard it a few months after MJ passed away in 2009, I don't know if it predates his death or not. Either way, still hideous.

9. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Mario McNulty. New musicians, new arrangements with some old parts left over.

TonyCzar likes this.
  10. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

Shaddam IV and Matt S like this.
  11. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Natalie Cole sang a "duet" with her father, Nat King Cole. I'm not sure if she was the first though.
    Maybe Hank Williams Sr/Jr?

I normally wouldn't like what they are doing with Bowie's Never Let Me Down, but supposedly Bowie--in an interview or notes--had expressed his desire to re-do that at some point, so they are taking that as license. And at least it's being done with people who worked with Bowie.
    Finally, they are presenting it alongside the original version of the album and being very up front about what they are doing.

bagofsoup likes this.
  12. bobdylansbarber

bobdylansbarber Ian Thread Starter

[QUOTE I believe in 1977 Elvis Costello went into the studio with The Attractions to re-record "My Aim Is True" barely a few months after it came out, with the intention of having the new recordings on all subsequent pressings (and presumably erasing the Clover versions from history), but for some reason it didn't happen. (Which is fine by me.)
    .[/QUOTE]

I never knew that - and I am so glad it didn't happen. That LP is perfect as is!

MLutthans likes this.
  13. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

That has a direct antecedent in Let It Be... Naked and the Lennon CD reissues with remixed audio. I don't think any of the instrumentation was re-recorded, as it was in this case with Never Let Me Down

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    Zongadude likes this.
  14. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

Things like that happen all the time in various arts - the author channging his mind later in his life, his editors redoing or finishing stuff in various ways. In RnR the earliest case might be Buddy Holly recordings. So it depends how strict you want to be when talking about precedents.

15. humpf

In a loose way even the original Let It Be could be considered to satisfy OP. ;)

aphexj likes this.
  16. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

and the question "why?" begs and answer. her prerogative though, i guess

17. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I never hated this album the way others do. In the big picture, second or third rate Bowie is still better than most others’ first rate work.

bagofsoup and M2225 like this.
  18. humpf

Tom Wilson's adding the electric band to the acoustic song Sounds of Silence might be considered the most successful case in rock. The original author and performer did not know, actually S+G had been disbanded at the time.

19. bobdylansbarber

bobdylansbarber Ian Thread Starter

I thought the Q was pretty clear: are there precedents for this Bowie album - a whole album getting redone after the artist's death? I think the Elvis and S&G examples above are the closest as far as I can see. Your Buddy Holly example falls into the 'finishing off' category I think.

20. humpf

ok, how about the Zenph Studios computer-robot re recordings of Gould, Tatum, and Cortot?

aphexj and bobdylansbarber like this.
  21. humpf

Ray Sings, Basie Swings album counts?

22. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Not after death, but Robyn Hitchcock’s album Groovy Decay was reworked and became Groovy Decoy. And then many years later those two versions were merged together into Gravy Deco. And then later still, all of those versions were conspicuously left off of an otherwise complete, career-spanning cd box set series, because he never really liked any version of that album.

23. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Neither was "Which artists had their unfinished and previously unreleased vault recordings exhumed and overdubbed for their first ever commercial release?" like was done with Hendrix. This thread is asking about re-recorded albums, and since AYE, Axis and EL were never re-recorded posthumously, Hendrix doesn't apply. Plus I'd imagine that very few (if any) previously released in the artist's lifetime albums that were re-recorded after an artist's death, were actually commissioned and sanctioned by the artist prior to his death as NLMD had been, since its been reported that he not only wanted it done, but he also chose the producer and musicians he wanted to do it.

24. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Silly idea.

25. StephMess78

StephMess78 Forum Resident

Wasn't Prince, during his problems with Warner said that he wanted to re-record all his Warner albums to put them out under his control? (Or something like that...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.