Re: Technics SL D20 TT

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by txguitar, Feb 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. txguitar

txguitar Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I have the above TT and I'm thinking about upgrading to a SL 1200 MK2, does
    anyone that knows these TT think I will notice a big difference ? Or there
    cheaper Technics that would also be a significant upgrade.

Thanks for your input... have a great week-end !

2. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

I'm a fan of those P-mount Technics tables from the 80s/90s. That said, the 1200 will give you many more options for cartridges should you want to change. I don't think there will be a huge difference, but I think the 1200 is a better piece. However, the D20 you have is not junk by any means! What are you looking for that your current table is not giving you?

3. txguitar

The main reason I am looking to change is to have more options for cartridges. I do
    agree that the D20 is a good table, it tracks well and has a very balanced sound overall.
    A friend of mine just offered me a SL D202 for super cheap that has a tone arm that
    will accept regular type cartridges. I just got back from listening to it and I agree,
    it sounded really nice. It had a brand new Shure cartridge on it, the only reason
    he is getting rid of it, is he is moving out of the country for a job and doesn't want to
    mess with packing it up or shipping it. He recently took it a shop and they serviced
    it. Like I said he's willing to let it go for cheap money. So I think I will take it off his
    hands. Any opinions on the D202 ?

Thanks for your input !!!

4. PhilBiker

IMO that is a slam dunk no brainer. The SL D202 is a nice turntable!!!! I personally don't think for home hifi use you're going to do much better with a 1200.

The Pinhead likes this.
  5. txguitar

That's what my friend said, he said the tonearm on the D202 is very similar to the
    1200 and with a little tweaking it would be a great table, he said as far as sound
    goes, the tables would be very close in quality. Plus it is really clean.
    I just called him and told him I'd take him. I'm looking forward to getting it home
    and hooked up. What brand of bass is that in your photo ? I'm a jazz guitar player,
    so that's why I'm interested, my bass player has a old fender and a upright.

PhilBiker likes this.
  6. PhilBiker

That's a Peavey Axcelerator 6 string circa 1998. My "Go To" for pop gigs or weddings (as in the avatar) and stuff.

7. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

The SL 1200 MK2 smokes. Get it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.