Re-wrapped CDs sold as "NEW"

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Joy-of-radio, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident Thread Starter

Please forgive me if this has already been discussed. Occasionally I'll discover compact discs that I want, but have become out of print (OOP). As I much prefer hunting down factory-sealed CDs, it can be a challenge especially it they've been OOP for years. I had been resorting to online marketplace sellers and paying their somewhat inflated prices to get what I want, but lately I've noticed a disturbing trend.

After ordering several OOP items advertised as "NEW" from various Amazon Marketplace sellers, I noticed upon inspection of some of the products that they were not shrink-wrapped in the traditional fashion. They came sealed in clear plastic wrap similar to the cellophane-like material factory-sealed CDs come in, but they had a crude uneven seem around the entire outer edges of the jewel cases and didn't have precise corner folds. In most cases factory-sealed CDs are wrapped in a professional way with precisely angled folds at the tops and bottoms of the jewel cases. Anyway, upon opening what I already suspected were re-wrapped used CDs, my suspicions were immediately confirmed. Inspection revealed scratches and smudges on the discs, and several had replaced jewel cases. All of the sellers refunded my money without question and didn't even request return of the items.

So then now I write beforehand to the sellers asking them to confirm that the products are indeed factory-sealed versus re-wraps, describing how factory-sealed CD's are wrapped before placing my orders. Some dealers are responsive while others are not, but I'm enjoying better and more fulfilling online shopping experiences now.

tmtomh and smilin ed like this.
  2. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I notice that at used cd stores also. They try to sell them off as new. You can really tell they are resealed by the descriptions you describe.

tmtomh and Joy-of-radio like this.
  3. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

I worked in a store that would do this occasionally with CDs they opened to play in the store because no promo was available. I recently came upon some Dick's Picks at a thrift store which I bought in order to flip :hide:, several of which were factory sealed. One, however had been obviously re sealed , so I made this very clear in my description. I don't believe it has sold yet (for what it's worth).

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  4. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

In the early days of CD's in Ireland/UK, most were opened before they were put on the shelves and the CD was taken out only to be redeemed on purchase.

tmtomh likes this.
  5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

This has been going on for awhile and I know for a fact certain sellers do it.

Key things to look for:

-The jewel case has a clear tray when the CD originally came with a black one
    -Fibers on the CD - these on from a CD buffing wheel (scratched CDs buffed and re-shrinkwrapped)
    -Tiny scratches on the inner ring (not on the playing surface of the CD)
    -Booklets with worn edges, tab indentation marks
    -No white/clear/black barcode sticker over the top of the jewel case underneath the shrinkwrap.

Malina and Joy-of-radio like this.
  6. The item in bold only applies to US distributed CD's. No CD's sold elsewhere have ever had such a sticker. In fact, I detest the darn things. What are they for? If I get a CD from the US it usually takes me a while to peel off that sticker as it usually rips into tiny fragements and I spend half an hour getting it off and cleaning off all the glue residue from the case. They certainly don't peel off in one clean piece / swift action anyway!

7. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

Yes, I've come across this phenomenon more than once. And not only in the last few years, although it may happen more and more. When in doubt, and especially if sellers charge a high price for the object, I often ask for a pic of the object. Most sellers are willing to do this and then you can judge by yourself if you take the plunge or not. That makes it easier to watch for all the tell-tale signs mentioned above.

Many eBay sellers already post detailed photos of the CD on offer, which makes it easier to decide.

tmtomh and Joy-of-radio like this.
  8. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

And having worked in the biz I can confirm that many CDs sold in the UK never came shrinkwrapped from the factory.

9. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

I worked in a record store in the late 90's. The owner did this religiously.

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  10. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

--Detach cover from the rest of case via plastic tabs.
    --Once cover is only connected via top sticker, peel sticker off cover, then rest of case.
    --Sticker will come off in one piece without residue.

Works consistently. You're welcome.

11. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

This is a rhetorical question of course, but why is this even a thing? Isn't one of the positives about CD's that they're incredibly durable, and a used CD is likely to be every bit as good as a new one unless it's been used as home plate? Why would anyone care if a CD is "still sealed" or not?

My local B&N has hundreds of sealed CD's for $4.99 each. And an unsealed rare CD, such as an MFSL or a DCC, would still command a handsome price whether it is sealed or not. It just seems like a wasted effort to re-seal a CD, and if you're caught doing so, it's gotta be just embarrassing.

12. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Beware of MUSICFIENDZ. All this con artist sells are reseals. Long story short, I'm about to get up to ten refunds from this clown or there is going to be a major problem. They are located in my state and all I can say is that this criminal is going to be sitting in a courtroom if he messes with me.

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  13. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

You can say that about anything that still functions when it is used. If you don't understand then perhaps you should learn a little more about the human race.

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  14. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

The seal around the edges is "shrinkwrap". The seal at the corners is cellophane and the fold is called a "Y fold". I hate to tell you this, but the bigger sellers use cellophane for their used reseals because they can afford the more expensive machine. MUSICFIENDZ as noted above uses cellophane and he is the lowest seller on many things I buy. I buy factory sealed oop cd's. Google "Y fold" and you will find gamers going crazy over collectible games being resealed. That's what I saw a year or two ago. I already have maybe 70 or 80 cd's free from various con artists.

When you get one tell the seller you want a refund or they can send you a prepaid return label and you will mail it back to them. You will almost always get it for free. Do not go through Amazon, contact the seller directly. By the way, you rarely find this nonsense on Ebay. It is always Amazon.

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  15. dkmonroe

Gee, thanks for the snark! I thought there might be a genuine reason, but what the hell, people gotta Internet I guess.

16. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Sorry, I thought the reason was obvious. Why pay a thousand bucks for a hermetically sealed comic book? Why pay a million dollars for a baseball you will only look at? None of this makes sense when viewed from a utilitarian perspective. Right?

17. Joy-of-radio

Having only recently discovered that trick, I wish I had discovered it many years ago!

18. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

In the U.S. shrinkwrap is commonplace, in the U.K. not so much. Some CDs are factory wrapped others are not. For example, I've just bought a brand new release from Amazon, no shrinkwrap. The same CD in HMV, again, no shrinkwrap. If a disc sold as new has obvious signs of wear then clearly something is wrong but the mere absence of shrinkwrap means nothing. Our American friends, especially when buying from the U.K. need to bear this in mind.

19. dkmonroe

It just seems to me that the more degradable an object is, the more valuable it is in a sealed, mint condition. Therefore the sealed comic book and likewise makes more sense to me. Now if you're intentionally building a collection of sealed CD's, it makes sense, but I was looking at it from the perspective of your average person here who is presumably interested in listening to the CD. The OP bought advertised Still Sealed! CD's for the purpose of listening to them.

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  20. Joy-of-radio

First and foremost, if one is rewrapping and selling used compact discs and advertising them as "NEW", it's deceptive and fraudulent! I do not have a problem with the sale of pre-owned/used CDs as long as the seller discloses that they are indeed such. I happene to be one who values visually pristine physical media. Would you buy a car advertised as brand-new at full price that was scuffed and scratched or otherwise blemished? After all, it's still durable and runs just fine. Of course you wouldn't! I rest my case.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
    Hotdog, Jupiter and Marble Index like this.
  21. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Exactly, you were looking at it from a utilitarian perspective - it works, so who cares? You must know you are on a board full of OCD freaks, right? :laugh:

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  22. dkmonroe

I totally agree! That's one of my puzzlements about this - the risk of being thought to be a deceptive seller seems greater than the payoff of selling a CD for a higher price.

23. dkmonroe

Well, often a used CD not only "works" but is often indistinguishable from a new CD. I've bought hundreds of CDs in the last 20 years or so and many of them were Like New even if they were not advertised as such. So I'm not talking about a dented-up car that still runs.

24. I doubt that would work as a) a lot of covers are very tight to begin with, with those tabs (one or two have broken through completely when I've attempted to remove them, they were THAT tight without much flexibility or play left) and b) by the time these CD's have been flown across the pond with different temperature / humidity extremes at play, the sticker has degraded a little and become slightly brittle. This is why the glue melts and the stickers are a complete ****** to remove.

25. Joy-of-radio

Do you understand what new and factory-sealed means? As I stated earlier, I have no issue with the sale of used/rewrapped CDs as long as the seller is forthcoming with those details. To sell such discs as "NEW" is deceptive and fraudulent! When I buy something advertised as "NEW", dammit I want and expect it to be "NEW!"

cwitt1980 and ribors like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.