Realistic LAB-440 Vs. Technics 1200

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Peacekeepr73, Dec 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peacekeepr73

Peacekeepr73 Digitally Remastered Member Thread Starter

Agreed! and what ya thing of the Seger link I threw up here?

2. pharmboycu

pharmboycu Forum Resident

Seger sounds great. It's a little on the bright side for me, but I like a really warm, lush sound. Only thing I caught was a hint of a little distortion on some of the louder parts-- may be in the mastering, may be groove wear, may be slight alignment issue... I'm not well versed enough to be able to tell. Sounds *really* good though. I would triple check the alignment of the cartridge and if it's good I'd let it rock like it is! :) Sounds nice and "alive" to me-- something I don't hear on many CD's.

I don't know much about Shure cartridges-- I know there are some great ones though. A great turntable like that Lab deserves a great cartridge and when you're able, might be worth looking at an Audio Technica AT440MLa. It's got a great detailed and articulate sound. I'd love to get the warmth of a Grado with the articulation of the AT440MLa and I'd be set.

As is though-- you've got a great setup for needledrops! And, without starting the banned debate on DD vs BD turntables, I'm a big fan of these direct drive turntables. With the really good DD's, you've got a noise floor below that of the LP medium, so *theoretically*, there shouldn't be much (if any) noise-- at least that's my understanding.

What's next on the Lab? Look through the Led Zeppelin and try to score a R.L. Led Zeppelin II-- you will *not* be disappointed, and I bet it will sound great on that turntable.

3. Peacekeepr73

Now To find my self some Zepplin LPs, I only have Zepplin IV on 8-Track. but it does good enough. Maybe I will make a cut of my mint Japanese import MONO Newport Jazz festival of 51' LP... And would someone post a clip of comparison from their rig, gotta know whose better...

4. pharmboycu

pharmboycu Forum Resident

Through the forum I've been fortunate enough to find 3 LZ II R.L. pressings-- one with the coveted first side, wide dead wax side 2, and narrow dead wax side 2. Also found a R.L. Houses of the Holy.

That said, any Zeppelin sounds good to my ears, R.L. pressing or not! :)

As for Seger, I found an original copy of "Smokin' O.P.'s" a while back. Cool stuff there too.

5. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

I just listened to the AC/DC Black Ice. And although I am not familiar with the music, I liked it. I think it sounded fine to my ears. With a brand new pristine LP, it probably will sound awesome. Thanks for sharing. If I see a Realistic turntable @ a Thrift store, I'll snag it up.

- Sushimaster

6. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Nobody wants to step up to the plate and swing the Technics bat?

7. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Forum Resident

Lucky, lucky! The RL versions of Led Zeppelin II and Houses of the Holy are fantastic. They just beat down every other version you've ever heard. And they're out there, among all the other records. Just check the deadwax on the Zeppelin every time you visit your record shop. You just might get lucky - and the shops most likely won't have any clue what you've found.

I'm eager to hear what the Tec-12 fans think of this mashup against the Lab. I would expect the Tec to sound better, but I'll bet if I could really clean up a Lab - load up with Blu-Tak or putty, rewire the RCA and ground cables - it would seriously haul ***. I really liked that Lab-420.

8. Peacekeepr73

So every one is to scared to challenge the LAB 440? HaHaHa!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.